Off-Topic For Canes Twitter Folks...LAZ

Advertisement
I was with John Routh 2 weeks ago at The Titanic...Former Yankee Catcher Jim Leyritz was there as well.
Thats a nice guy. When you meet him he is not the guy you imagine when you see this and hear the stories. He took a bullet to the cheek grazing him New Years eve in New Orleans in 93 for Sugar Bowl with Bama when idiots are firing off guns and didn't miss the game.
NEWS_Sebastiandetained.jpg

I was down in South Florida to see a game and see family and I took my gf over to campus and thought what the ****, lets get over to UM sports hall of fame and see some trophies and that Seminole canoe. John standing at the front just said hi I'm John. I was like hold on I know who you are bc I had seen his pictures. But he was kind, funny, and humble. Nice guy

Last edited:
What annoys me is you have people on Twitter preaching how nobody should say anything bad about him because he’s a good guy. I’m cool with not joking about it on social media because he has a wife etc but people need to get out of here with these rules like the guy is some kind of untouchable saint. There might be more to the story but I never came close to stabbing anyone in my life. Think maybe the guy has a severe anger problem of some sort at a minimum. So now he has two felony arrests on his record and possibly two felony convictions. A real sweetheart

Example -

Last edited:
Thats a nice guy. When you meet him he is not the guy you imagine when you see this and hear the stories. He took a bullet to the cheek grazing him New Years eve in New Orleans when idiots are firing off guns. View attachment 179018

I was down in South Florida to see a game and see family and I took my gf over to campus and thought what the ****, lets get over to UM sports hall of fame and see some trophies and that Seminole canoe. John standing at the front just said hi I'm John. I was like hold on I know who you are bc I had seen his pictures. But he was kind, funny, and humble. Nice guy
I've been friends with John since my cousin was on staff at UM. A very close friend of mine is on the UM HOF Committee as well.

I didn’t even know he had moved over to the West Coast. I wonder what happened there. And to be honest I’m totally unfamiliar with Lehigh acres, never been there. Been to Fort Myers been to Naples been all up and down the West Coast. But not there
I grew up in Ft Myers in the 70s....Lehigh barely even existed back then...No HS there back in the day.

Advertisement
It just goes to show, you never know about people. My wife and I sat across from his wife and him on a shuttle back to the airport on an away game.

Just very quiet and laid-back during that situation. I’ve seen him get loud with fans at tailgates, although I don’t hang around with that crew, I’ve seen them around, but one on one very laid-back.

I remember I think this was during Ricks second or third year we were talking about how he seemed to have lost it, although publicly he wouldn’t say it, we were both in agreement that there was something off with him.

Even though I already knew he was an ex-con, he was very reserved and you wouldn’t think of him as a guy that would stab somebody in the neck.

Bottom line: even when you’re hot you have to keep your cool, he gave into his anger impulses, so now one guy is dead and probably the rest of his life is fūcked. And nothing is better, in fact everything is worse now. I made a vow a while back to never engage in violence unless it was in self-defense of my family or loved ones. Having a verbal beef is no reason to start swinging hands, because you never know where it ends.
Well said.

You'd think someone that had done significant time and then was a free man for a significant amount of time would've been uber vigilant about never needlessly putting himself in this type of situation again. Then again, recidivism rates wouldn't be what they are if this was applicable logic.

I'm personally more leary about getting in a physical confrontation with someone because of stuff like this or the amount of people that will instantly go for a gun because they "feel" threatened than any apprehension about settling things "like men" if it's absolutely necessary.

World would be a better place if more people could check their anger issues but if not were man enough to just be able to risk an *** kicking instead of escalating it to these life-altering levels.

I've been friends with John since my cousin was on staff at UM. A very close friend of mine is on the UM HOF Committee as well.
John Routh deserves to be in the UM Hall of Fame. Along with our winning, he made the Ibis famous by embodying what we were doing on the field and what we looked and felt like to the world

Last edited:
I don't think we're probably dealing with a neighborhood of the upper echelon of society here.

I'm just glad to have never had any nightmares with neighbors- knock on wood. Biggest annoyances have been a diehard Pats fan and a guy that went to Jaw-ja and kept telling me the same story over and over about how he once played golf with Richt.
Jon Richt was your neighbor?

Advertisement
Crazy how the confrontation was about Laz feeding stray dogs. Dude was always posting them on his twitter. Not sure why so many poke fun at the guy he seems like a kind man. People are real close to the edge in todays world.
The dude stabbed someone in the neck over stray dogs. Seems like he hangs out a little closer to the edge than the rest of us.

Advertisement
You never know when it’s your turn.
So never get into stupid arguments.
Dont stereotype what a killer or potential killer looks like because you may have been looking at one in the mirror your whole life.

It’s just that the opportunity wether bad or good hasn’t presented itself.
Anyone is capable of taking a life either in anger fear or revenge, including yourself.

Dont put yourself in a situation where you may have to find out unless it’s absolutely necessary.

The other person may or may not know he’s a killer either.

Advertisement
I don't think we're probably dealing with a neighborhood of the upper echelon of society here.

I'm just glad to have never had any nightmares with neighbors- knock on wood. Biggest annoyances have been a diehard Pats fan and a guy that went to Jaw-ja and kept telling me the same story over and over about how he once played golf with Richt.
Thank god I’m gone at 6 in the morning and usually don’t come back til 9 in the morning day due to shift and I don’t see anybody because I’m usually sleeping. Perks of being a firefighter.

Advertisement
Back