For all the people who claim Mario changed the offense just watch this

You know what an RPO is man. Come on.

But yeah I agree with the rest. What we're seeing is a broken, pieced together offense that doesn't have a quarterback. They're scrambling trying to make something that works that doesn't require the QB to risk turning the ball over but that type of offense just doesn't exist in today's game. Personally, since they're deathly afraid of interceptions, they might as well let Jacurri Brown line up back there and just go completely zone read/read option and at least give the run game a little variety instead of three second hand-offs from Van Dyke or Williams. Just spread the defense as thin as you can an try to open as many run lane options for Brown as possible. Because going with the stiff, conservative mess we've seen since Virginia will guarantee we don't win another game unless out defense pitches shut-outs.

I meant zone read. Multitasking. The QB takes the snap and holds the ball out and rides the back, but under no circumstance is he ever going to pull it and run. So it's pointless. I agree with you there, run quick hitting plays or throw the ball. This charade of the QB holding the ball to read the edge when he's never going to pull and run is silly.

Advertisement
We legit did an RPO from a pistol variation all night. He’s holding the ball there because he is running an RPO like we did on 80% of our runs Saturday night. They’re either not giving him the option to throw it or it’s not there. I made a thread about this.

Just because the QB doesn’t throw it, doesn’t mean it’s not an RPO.
When pass isn't an option, is it an RPO or just a handoff?

Exactly. The offensive style and gameplanning over the past few games is not the same as the first 4. It makes no sense that Dawson slowed the game down so much and started using the bunch formation as a standard part of his strategy. NC State was probably the worst. It was one of the slowest-moving, methodical offensive game plans I've seen im years.
Honestly, other than A&M, this offense hasn't been creative. Go back and look at the other three games - they were all run-heavy and teams were much less talented than UM.

When pass isn't an option, is it an RPO or just a handoff?
When you’re blocking it like an RPO it’s an RPO. It’s a completely different blocking scheme vs a called run. Your o line men can’t fire off the ball and drive down field or you run the risk of illegal man down field past 3 yards if the QB decides to pass it

The reason they are calling it is because they’re trying to put a linebacker / slot player in a grey area and get him out of the box. Without it, FSU would have stacked the box more than they did. It had its value / purpose but when you consistently run it and don’t throw it…it loses its value. We needed to mix it up beyond RPOs. They probably told 17, if you get this front or it’s 2 on 3 outside you can throw it…”extreme” circumstances.

Advertisement
I just can’t wrap my head around the ATM gameplan and what we’ve seen the last few weeks.
The only thing I can think of is that our D line depth got completely nuked then and Mario realized he had to limit possessions and the time our defense was on the field which led him to install a more conservative game plan.

Not saying I agree; but I’m sure that was a discussion.

I meant zone read. Multitasking. The QB takes the snap and holds the ball out and rides the back, but under no circumstance is he ever going to pull it and run. So it's pointless. I agree with you there, run quick hitting plays or throw the ball. This charade of the QB holding the ball to read the edge when he's never going to pull and run is silly.
He’s not reading the edge, he’s reading the apex linebacker / slot corner to see if he’s crashing on the run which would open up the screen pass / curl.

Advertisement
The only thing I can think of is that our D line depth got completely nuked then and Mario realized he had to limit possessions and the time our defense was on the field which led him to install a more conservative game plan.

And the fact that your quarterback has thrown 11 interceptions

And the fact his quarterback threw 10 interceptions in 4 games will make any coach conservative.

The Houston offense wasn't that creative either. Without uncoverable Dell and Tune scrambling and making plays late his offenses probably look like they did at Southern Miss.

Never, ever get your hopes up about a coach who's former fans didnt mind him leaving. Never fails

Usually the prolonged hand-off is the quarterback trying to hold the mesh as long as possible to make the defender commit. But yeah, it's pointless if the QB never keeps.

Some people confuse the held mesh point handoff as an RPO but that's not really the case. Unless the quarterback is looking downfield, it's pretty much either a zone read or a straight handoff. You have to see where the QB is looking to determine whether it's an RPO or just a zone read/straight running play.

Advertisement
I don't know what is going on with the offense or who is to blame but;

In this clip I just watched more motion, RB screens, more formations in one half of football than I have seen in the last 6 weeks. What we see here is no where near what we have seen recently. I think people would love to see all the plays I just watched.

I don't need Dawson to leave...I just want him to run the O that we saw in the first few weeks or even in this video.
He cant with TVD's issues

The Houston offense wasn't that creative either. Without uncoverable Dell and Tune scrambling and making plays late his offenses probably look like they did at Southern Miss.

Never, ever get your hopes up about a coach who's former fans didnt mind him leaving. Never fails
The offense at Southern Miss was great with Nick Mullens at QB but after he graduated, they went with a QB by committee approach and it wasn't anywhere near the same. They went from like 36 points per game to 29.

Also, Houston fans weren't happy to see him go. They were generally not happy about him leaving at all. That was just some bs that Miami fans ran with because they wanted a different OC.

Last edited:

Yup, because fans are usually smart and reasonable. Message board geniuses, they call'em.

Advertisement
He cant with TVD's issues
Well, I do not really agree, respectfully.

No one is more critical of TVD than I am and would love it if I never see him again but, his issue is primarily decision making and can be helped. Motions, screens and multiple formations would help him and Williams. These would help open the primary receivers whether that is a WR, RB or TE.

You do not have to be a #1 draft pick to run an RB screen or play action, yet these plays would have slowed down all those run blitzes. One or two WR sweeps and playaction would have killed all those run blitzes and FSU would have stopped after getting beat a couple of times.

The coaches are hampering the QBs by sitting in the same formations and running the same plays out of those formations. They are killing the QB by running the same formations into 8 & 9 man run blitzing with no motion, screens or anything else.

This is what people are actually upset about. Simple things can help the QB but there seems to be this notion that to help a struggle or young QB you must pound the ball over and over into a D that knows it coming while hoping for the best.

Usually the prolonged hand-off is the quarterback trying to hold the mesh as long as possible to make the defender commit. But yeah, it's pointless if the QB never keeps.

Some people confuse the held mesh point handoff as an RPO but that's not really the case. Unless the quarterback is looking downfield, it's pretty much either a zone read or a straight handoff. You have to see where the QB is looking to determine whether it's an RPO or just a zone read/straight running play.
He’s legitimately looking at number 7 on FSU here.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.png
    IMG_9046.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Back