For all the people who claim Mario changed the offense just watch this

I don't know what is going on with the offense or who is to blame but;

In this clip I just watched more motion, RB screens, more formations in one half of football than I have seen in the last 6 weeks. What we see here is no where near what we have seen recently. I think people would love to see all the plays I just watched.

I don't need Dawson to leave...I just want him to run the O that we saw in the first few weeks or even in this video.

Advertisement
Exactly. The offensive style and gameplanning over the past few games is not the same as the first 4. It makes no sense that Dawson slowed the game down so much and started using the bunch formation as a standard part of his strategy. NC State was probably the worst. It was one of the slowest-moving, methodical offensive game plans I've seen im years.

Those bunch formations are garbage in this day and age... soon as the 3rd qtr started, we saw the stupid "we are fyzical" vib... totally loser Wario strategy... fg and OT strategy from previous games

We have a dumb stubborn HC

A little longer post, but my thoughts on the offense:

This offense is different from what he ran in Houston, and even from what we're seeing in this video above. There was more motion in that video and I saw slot players running down the seams. I also saw that against TAMU, and now I don't. So, yes, I think that the offense is different (slightly) from what he has run in the past.

But, I agree that there are worrisome things from his past that many noticed before Dawson came here. He does have a huge limitation at QB and that will make any OC look meh. He does have an HC who prioritizes game control and slow, methodical play and that, along with the new clock rules in college football, will limit the number of plays and artificially deflate offensive stats.

But that's as far as I will go to defend Dawson.

As an OC, he's not getting the job done because he's not finding creative ways to free up players, he's not finding ways to have receivers catch the ball on the move, and he's not creating matchups and scenarios for the the most dynamic players to get the ball enough.

There are ways to scheme your best players into space. There are ways to ensure that your best players touch the ball. We don't do either of those and I don't understand why we don't do that.

We're talking about lacking difference makers, not having explosive players, and it's B-S. We have several young players that can be explosive and make plays. I don't care if a young guy doesn't know the entire playbook. You telling me that we can't scheme four-to-five plays a game to get Chris Johnson the ball? Five-to-seven touches for Brashard Smith? Jacolby George?

I'm not saying that all of our more explosive players should get five touches a game, but I'm saying that at least ONE OF THEM should be getting a guaranteed five touches a game and another should have a couple packages.

Sample for Smith: A reverse, a screen for him, a Wildcat run, a two-back PA dump off to him, and a traditional run.

Do you know what that does to a defense? Every time he's on the field, now you're dedicating a pair of eyes to JUST Brashard Smith. Now the defense is playing 10-on-11 because they've got to dedicate at least one person to pay attention to him. The whole defense has to communicate about where he is and focus mental bandwidth to maintaining awareness of his position on the field.

I watched our defense struggle with this against Concepcion at NC State. I saw how a good offense coordinator uses weapons to stress a defense and in the most critical moments of that game, the cumulative effect of that stress caused our best unit to fracture. Does anybody think that NC State has more or better weapons than Miami?

Ok, then..

Advertisement
It all trickles back to Mario. It’s irrefutable and naïve to suggest otherwise. He’s the one hiring the OC’s and recruiting the QBs.

And yeah, he recruited TVD back to Miami. He has to get it right in 2024.

I only watched the first minute or so but I didn't see a run on every first down. I didn't see the same run up the middle when they did run. I didn't see the amazing slow developing shotgun run plays. I didn't see back to back to back runs.

That didn't look at all like our offense.
O really? 🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028_235207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_235207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 0
I only watched the first minute or so but I didn't see a run on every first down. I didn't see the same run up the middle when they did run. I didn't see the amazing slow developing shotgun run plays. I didn't see back to back to back runs.

That didn't look at all like our offense.
****, the very first play was an RPO from the pistol. I don't think we've done that once this year.

The running plays look a lot less deliberate too. Every time we run the ball the quarterback stands there holding the ball out for 3 seconds before the running back takes the handoff. We're the most blatant team I've ever seen in that regard.

Advertisement
We don't have a QB that the coaches trust. That's all you need to say.

Is that Mario's fault? Yep. He's in charge of putting elite talent at every position on the field. But we don't have that at the QB position. Not even close.

So you get what you get on offense. Mario isn't doing anything to the offense. What you're seeing is the result of having to try to win in spite of your quarterback, not because of it. One kid is a true freshman and isn't ready. The other kid is broken, physically and more importantly, mentally. It's the coaches' fault that TVD broke, they can't repair him, and the only alternative is a 3-star true freshmen. It's no deeper than that. Trust me, put Michael Pratt in the middle of this offense, and it looks just fine. We also have ZERO threat from the QB in the run game, so defenses know they don't even need to account for that. You want the guy to run RPO's with a QB who runs a 5.0 forty?

The staff has not done a good job. They looked great though when TVD was locked in. Even Saturday, he has Restrepo open on the side he rolled to, he somehow misses him. Emory was really poor passing the ball against FSU. JB is clearly not in the picture for anything. Hard to place blame when you have no QB. Ultimately coaches and players share that.

Advertisement

Is that Mario's fault? Yep. He's in charge of putting elite talent at every position on the field. But we don't have that at the QB position. Not even close.

So you get what you get on offense. Mario isn't doing anything to the offense. What you're seeing is the result of having to try to win in spite of your quarterback, not because of it. One kid is a true freshman and isn't ready. The other kid is broken, physically and more importantly, mentally. It's the coaches' fault that TVD broke, they can't repair him, and the only alternative is a 3-star true freshmen. It's no deeper than that. Trust me, put Michael Pratt in the middle of this offense, and it looks just fine. We also have ZERO threat from the QB in the run game, so defenses know they don't even need to account for that. You want the guy to run RPO's with a QB who runs a 5.0 forty?
You know what an RPO is man. Come on.

But yeah I agree with the rest. What we're seeing is a broken, pieced together offense that doesn't have a quarterback. They're scrambling trying to make something that works that doesn't require the QB to risk turning the ball over but that type of offense just doesn't exist in today's game. Personally, since they're deathly afraid of interceptions, they might as well let Jacurri Brown line up back there and just go completely zone read/read option and at least give the run game a little variety instead of three second hand-offs from Van Dyke or Williams. Just spread the defense as thin as you can an try to open as many run lane options for Brown as possible. Because going with the stiff, conservative mess we've seen since Virginia will guarantee we don't win another game unless out defense pitches shut-outs.

Advertisement
****, the very first play was an RPO from the pistol. I don't think we've done that once this year.

The running plays look a lot less deliberate too. Every time we run the ball the quarterback stands there holding the ball out for 3 seconds before the running back takes the handoff. We're the most blatant team I've ever seen in that regard.
We legit did an RPO from a pistol variation all night. He’s holding the ball there because he is running an RPO like we did on 80% of our runs Saturday night. They’re either not giving him the option to throw it or it’s not there. I made a thread about this.

Just because the QB doesn’t throw it, doesn’t mean it’s not an RPO.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.png
    IMG_9046.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9044.png
    IMG_9044.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

What does a QB speed have to do with RPOs? Are you thinking Read option?

We ran RPO all night Saturday and just didn’t throw it because it’s not a real “option” or it wasn’t open. I made a thread about this.

Attachments

• IMG_9042.png
    IMG_9042.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I work with a Gator fan who played D2 football a while ago and we talk football. He hates both teams as he should. The first thing he said to me today was if you guys had a quarterback, y’all would have kicked their azzes.

Advertisement
Back