For all the people who claim Mario changed the offense just watch this

I just can’t wrap my head around the ATM gameplan and what we’ve seen the last few weeks.

I think it's two things. One, a2m played a ton of man coverage and TVD has all day to throw. They didn't make any substantive adjustments either, whereas everyone else has played a ton of zone. Secondly, we couldn't run on a2m, and we conceded that, so we stayed spread out and varied the pace just enough.

We basically hummed along like this heading into GT, where Mario probably got a boner when he saw BGSU ran all over them. Insert our tight formations and personnel groupings which have maybe 2 players who are a threat for anything other than a HB dive.

We've doubled down on this ever since, and almost never break tendencies, so it's a massive advantage to the defense when they're 80%+ sure which direction you're going, and because of the personnel, they won't get hurt too badly if they guess wrong.

That's where we are today-- a BROBALL philosophy with some Air Rad sprinkled in-- the path of most resistance.

Our OL is very good, but they can't block 8 or 9 people unless you help them out. If you aren't going to spread teams out consistently in the run game, then you need to work in some middle screens, PA passes to the TE (Winslow route from the Coker T), or put someone like Brashard wide in the formation to attract attention and draw somebody out of the box to help.

I am not going to defend TVD, even with these flaws he's had opportunities to do QB1 things and has failed. That said, he has beaten zone coverages before because Lashlee was a lot better about adjusting to them. When teams like UVA drop 8, run RPO and give the ball or throw the bubble until teams have to account for that and then send your vertical routes downfield.

Advertisement
And both wide receivers to the top of the screen are run blocking.

If that was a called RPO, none of the receivers thought he was going to pull it back and throw it.
They are run blocking because the pass option is a bubble to X

See George. He’s turning like that because he missed his block. If 17 throws it, it’s a pick 6. If he was just run blocking he would have moved onto the next man because his man, FSU 7 ran past the run play with his angle

I think it's two things. One, a2m played a ton of man coverage and TVD has all day to throw. They didn't make any substantive adjustments either, whereas everyone else has played a ton of zone. Secondly, we couldn't run on a2m, and we conceded that, so we stayed spread out and varied the pace just enough.

We basically hummed along like this heading into GT, where Mario probably got a boner when he saw BGSU ran all over them. Insert our tight formations and personnel groupings which have maybe 2 players who are a threat for anything other than a HB dive.

We've doubled down on this ever since, and almost never break tendencies, so it's a massive advantage to the defense when they're 80%+ sure which direction you're going, and because of the personnel, they won't get hurt too badly if they guess wrong.

That's where we are today-- a BROBALL philosophy with some Air Rad sprinkled in-- the path of most resistance.

Our OL is very good, but they can't block 8 or 9 people unless you help them out. If you aren't going to spread teams out consistently in the run game, then you need to work in some middle screens, PA passes to the TE (Winslow route from the Coker T), or put someone like Brashard wide in the formation to attract attention and draw somebody out of the box to help.

I am not going to defend TVD, even with these flaws he's had opportunities to do QB1 things and has failed. That said, he has beaten zone coverages before because Lashlee was a lot better about adjusting to them. When teams like UVA drop 8, run RPO and give the ball or throw the bubble until teams have to account for that and then send your vertical routes downfield.
This guy footballs. Spot on.

Advertisement
Yup. They were jumping it all night starting around the 2/3 quarter I believe. I think this is what Mario meant when he said FSU made adjustments…combined with the run blitzing and going 2 man.
I don't care what they're ranked, this was an incredibly winnable game. We held them to 1 yard in the second quarter. That was our window. Their adjustments were very predictable. Hindsight being 20/20, Emory should have been stepped in against UVA and started NCSU. Prior inaction is when games like this are lost though, because with that added experience, I bet he hits a few on those RPOs and it's a different outcome.

This guy footballs. Spot on.
@LuCane is my mentor. He's always wrong, but I learn a lot, it's weird. :cool:

I only watched the first minute or so but I didn't see a run on every first down. I didn't see the same run up the middle when they did run. I didn't see the amazing slow developing shotgun run plays. I didn't see back to back to back runs.

That didn't look at all like our offense.
I also only watched the first minute and am not an expert at all, but it seemed like there was a lot more motion than we run.

Advertisement
No self respecting OC wants to work for Mario, that is the real issue.

Folks said he same thing about Diaz on both sides of the ball. He got Lashlee and T-Rob after his year 1 embarrassment. I think Lashlee did us a big favor and showed that all it takes a couple years of running a decent offense at UM to land a pretty good HC job.

When you’re blocking it like an RPO it’s an RPO. It’s a completely different blocking scheme vs a called run. Your o line men can’t fire off the ball and drive down field or you run the risk of illegal man down field past 3 yards if the QB decides to pass it

The reason they are calling it is because they’re trying to put a linebacker / slot player in a grey area and get him out of the box. Without it, FSU would have stacked the box more than they did. It had its value / purpose but when you consistently run it and don’t throw it…it loses its value. We needed to mix it up beyond RPOs. They probably told 17, if you get this front or it’s 2 on 3 outside you can throw it…”extreme” circumstances.

TrumpyCane believes this is wrong because college rules are different

Advertisement

Attachments

• IMG_9056.png
    IMG_9056.png
    573.1 KB · Views: 0
Honestly I think Mario struck out on other oc targets and settled for Dawson

Then if that's the case the question should be why did she trike out on other OC targets for two years in a row and had to settle.

Last edited:
Oregon told us we would blame the OC. We would blame the QB. We would blame the WRs but in the end it was always Mario. He's the problem.
Oregon fans are full of **** when it comes to that topic also. Joe Moorehead's offense at Penn state looked the same as it did at oregon minus Saquan Barkley bailing him out on occasion. Marcus Arroyo's offense at oregon looked the same at unlv. There right about Mario's horrible game day coaching but not the Mario taking over offenses stuff

Advertisement
Does this not look pretty much look like the same playcalling we've seen Dawson do here?

A lot of dropping 8 on defense and if it wasn’t for the mobility of the QB, a lot of those plays would be dead in the water. But I am not one of the football gurus on this site. Would like their input.

I am of the opinion that if you are bringing in a QB like Pratt, as an example, bring the OC over as well (Slade Nagle).

Tulane last year and this year are pretty decent and it offers the best route of continuity and familiarity.

@Memnon - is Slade Nagle a solid OC in your view? I know he was a tight end coach prior to becoming OC. This might be a big jump for him.

For those saying “TVD had 3 OC’s here that really hurt him.”

Well, Pratt has had 4 OCs in his time in college.

Mario hired him, just like he hired Gattis. He is not a passive victim here, he wanted this scheme here, he took his time and hand chose it with a blank check to pick anyone he wanted. Offense has been terrible both seasons. Stop coppin pleas for Mario like he doesnt know whats goin on like a damsel in distress
I don't think that's what he said. He's addressing people who claim that Mario has changed the offense or influenced the playcalling. U are "moving the goalposts", as they say.

Advertisement
Back