Off-Topic Florida ✈️ / Cuban Sandwich

The Tampa Cuban sandwich includes salami, and I prefer that added flavor. It's really up to you to decide. I spoke my truth and riled up @ben and @JD08 , though I love those guys.
I'll say that I haven't had one from Columbia Restaurant or La Segunda, so I'll keep the option open to change my mind.

Advertisement
This is gonna sound random, but I found a place called The Mad Cuban in Simpsonville, SC that made great Cubans.

The kicker was that, by request, they would add stuff. I used to add ham croquetas (and sometimes plantains). Amazing. Took an extra long time in the sandwich press.

They had a brick-and-mortar, then they closed that location and went to a food truck, and now they are about to reopen a new brick-and-mortar location.

"Cubans Sandwiches to Go" on Lee Rd. ain't no joke...you know that. Family is from Miami, and they all have UM plates on their vehicles. Righteous Sandwiches. Hit that place once a week for about 10yrs.

So I see there's a Columbia Restaurant in Celebration. Is that worth going to if I want to try their Cuban?

Go to Cuban Sandwiches to Go on Lee Rd. in Orlando....Thank me later (Black bean Soup is to die for) Everything is 100% Spot on. Probably my favorite sandwich spot in Orlando.
But that's a Miami Cuban and I was hoping to try a "good" Tampa Cuban.

But I will absolutely take note for later.

Advertisement
But that's a Miami Cuban and I was hoping to try a "good" Tampa Cuban.

But I will absolutely take note for later.
Here's the story. Italian immigrants in the early 1920s, lived side by side with Cubans in Tampa, hence them adding Genoa Salami to their sandwiches. They're good (I'm a Salami crazed fool to begin with) but for my $$...Cuban Sandwiches to Go is the spot. Just chk their reviews...pretty much all 5*...

@SpikeUM @ben @RVACane @TheOriginalCane ...
Fried Yellowtail Snapper, Spiny Lobster, Cuban Style Red Beans & Yellow Rice, Potato Salad & Apple Sauce....
FB_IMG_1690850214759.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I think the food there started trending down about 15 years ago. Waitresses are elite though.
Food pretty much everywhere in Fl has gone downhill the past 15+ yrs. Don't get me wrong, there's still quite a few Outstanding places, including A+ Gems in the state. But compared to what the Culinary field had to offer in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s is night & day. And it pains me to say it worse than anyone imaginable.

The Tampa Cuban sandwich includes salami, and I prefer that added flavor. It's really up to you to decide. I spoke my truth and riled up @ben and @JD08 , though I love those guys.

I am Cuban and never knew Cuban sandwiches had salami until my mom (rip) told me once. I told her she must had been going senile. But Tampa does have the original Cuban it appears (inspired by the Italian, German, and Cuban communities that migrated there during the turn of the Century). I definitely prefer the Miami version. Oh, and the bread should be baked with the palmetto frond in the center to make it really legit.

Haven't tried the Columbian restaurant Cuban...but the best Cuban I've had was from Mom's in Ft. Myers beach...from what I understand she's open again in a food truck where the old building was.

Advertisement
Back