Five-star WR JoJo Trader commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
The mindset should be all-in with Cam this season.
Sure, now think of it like in the NFL, when you pay a QB top dollar, how much is left over for everyone else?
Cam Ward is the answer on offense. A great QB + Great OLine will lead to a successful offense. You don't need a proven Superstar WR in Spring, we have a lot of talent at the position already. Sure if the young guys aren't ready then we should go for someone, but imo that isn't the biggest need on this team at all.

There are clear and obvious bigger concerns at TE, and throughout the defense - at least as far as unproven guys at LB, DB is mostly a question mark still imo... DLine is very talented, but I'd say DT could still go either way.

I'd argue focusing the rest of whatever portal activity and NIL resources on Defense does meet the the definition of going all in.

Sure, now think of it like in the NFL, when you pay a QB top dollar, how much is left over for everyone else?
Cam Ward is the answer on offense. A great QB + Great OLine will lead to a successful offense. You don't need a proven Superstar WR in Spring, we have a lot of talent at the position already. Sure if the young guys aren't ready then we should go for someone, but imo that isn't the biggest need on this team at all.

There are clear and obvious bigger concerns at TE, and throughout the defense - at least as far as unproven guys at LB, DB is mostly a question mark still imo... DLine is very talented, but I'd say DT could still go either way.

I'd argue focusing the rest of whatever portal activity and NIL resources on Defense does meet the the definition of going all in.

With the personalities we have in the mix I don't believe money is a problem.

Mario can afford to get anyone he truly wants if he believes the value is there.

No one is keeping Jo Jo off the field, impact day one.
We've said that about a bunch of players every darn year.

We have to stop having such high expectations for every single player that’s highly rated.
And honestly, it should be expected that these kids aren’t ready to start. If you’re a high-quality power five program it should be extremely difficult for any freshman to sit your starters down.

I also feel that he is very talented, and likely underrated, despite being a borderline five star. He also has the advantage of enrolling early.
But the fact that he may not start is likely a better barometer of where the program is at then if he was just to sit every single receiver down.

However, if JoJo does in fact start over everybody, that is a true sign of a bad mfer just like Bain. But remember even Bain wasn’t a starter until Messidor got hurt.

Advertisement
Rather spend the money on defense. Far better for us for the Young WRs to step up. Whereas like DT/CB I think it'd be asking a lot for our young Freshman DTs to step up. WR and RB it's much more reasonable.
imo, you pay that much for Cam, you better have the weapons he needs or you wasted your money. Those weapons might be on the team, but if there's any question you put that position on the portal shopping list also.

We have to stop having such high expectations for every single player that’s highly rated.
And honestly, it should be expected that these kids aren’t ready to start. If you’re a high-quality power five program it should be extremely difficult for any freshman to sit your starters down.

I also feel that he is very talented, and likely underrated, despite being a borderline five star. He also has the advantage of enrolling early.
But the fact that he may not start is likely a better barometer of where the program is at then if he was just to sit every single receiver down.

However, if JoJo does in fact start over everybody, that is a true sign of a bad mfer just like Bain. But remember even Bain wasn’t a starter until Messidor got hurt.
I am not saying he will start right away, highly rated or not, we’re still talking about a young kid making a big jump to the college level. What I am saying is he has the goods, and talent usually rises to the top. He will play and contribute year one.

What you're saying certainly isn't incorrect but lots of programs have plenty of day 1 impact freshmen, even schools like Bama & OSU with lots of playable depth. We haven't had that kind of receiver since AR82 but if anything that just means we're due for it. I think he has a good chance to contribute right away unless we grab a big time WR in the portal or injuries affect the room.

What you're saying certainly isn't incorrect but lots of programs have plenty of day 1 impact freshmen, even schools like Bama & OSU with lots of playable depth. We haven't had that kind of receiver since AR82 but if anything that just means we're due for it. I think he has a good chance to contribute right away unless we grab a big time WR in the portal or injuries affect the room.
Would love to see JoJo have a great spring. I will also have my eyes on Horton and Kirk. We need at least 2 wrs to step up outside of Restrepo and George. It will be an interesting off season to see development and overall improvement

Advertisement
It’s funny that you mentioned AR 82. Because if you go back and look at his recruitment and the archives of the site, nobody said that he was going to be a day one starter and a potential first round pick. Plenty of people on here were saying that his best position was DB and even questioning his speed.
The one dude that I recall where everybody thought he was going to be a day one starter was Mark Pope.
Not even Jerry Judy got to start as a freshman at Bama.
Brandon innis barely lplayee last year.
Evan Neal started at guard because the starter got hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of freshmen that start and make impacts all over college football but at the very top level there are very few that do and that’s all I’m saying. The fact that highly rated player does not start on a playoff contending team is not a bad sign.
But when a highly rated player doesn’t start at a team that’s a perennial 7-8 win team then it’s actually a very bad sign.

And just because a player doesn’t start as a freshman on these playoff teams doesn’t even mean that he isn’t gonna be a first rounder. Some of these teams are just that good at certain positions.

Then you have dudes like Minka Fitzpatrick that tell everyone to sit the Fck down.
Maybe JoJo is one of those guys. But the problem I have is not the expectation but the bs and negativity that comes from fans when their favorite recruit isn’t playing above upper class men.

Just look at the championship teams that Miami had in the past. We had all pros and Hall of Famer’s that weren’t starting as freshman.

Agreed, when you consider the level we are currently recruiting at, freshmen getting heavy playing time should not be rare right now at Miami. Also, WR is one of those positions where a freshman can more easily break through. That all said, and I think JoJo is a talent, I believe he is nowhere close to a finished product and I expected Carr to get on the field. I use past tense there because based on the reports rolling in, if anything JoJo appears to have elite work ethic and is impressing the staff.

Advertisement
It’s funny that you mentioned AR 82. Because if you go back and look at his recruitment and the archives of the site, nobody said that he was going to be a day one starter and a potential first round pick. Plenty of people on here were saying that his best position was DB and even questioning his speed.
The one dude that I recall where everybody thought he was going to be a day one starter was Mark Pope.
Not even Jerry Judy got to start as a freshman at Bama.
Brandon innis barely lplayee last year.
Evan Neal started at guard because the starter got hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of freshmen that start and make impacts all over college football but at the very top level there are very few that do and that’s all I’m saying. The fact that highly rated player does not start on a playoff contending team is not a bad sign.
But when a highly rated player doesn’t start at a team that’s a perennial 7-8 win team then it’s actually a very bad sign.

And just because a player doesn’t start as a freshman on these playoff teams doesn’t even mean that he isn’t gonna be a first rounder. Some of these teams are just that good at certain positions.

Then you have dudes like Minka Fitzpatrick that tell everyone to sit the Fck down.
Maybe JoJo is one of those guys. But the problem I have is not the expectation but the bs and negativity that comes from fans when their favorite recruit isn’t playing above upper class men.

Just look at the championship teams that Miami had in the past. We had all pros and Hall of Famer’s that weren’t starting as freshman.
I hear you. But AR82 was also being chased heavy by Bama & Auburn, doing OV's at both so he was definitely highly valued elsewhere. But for now I'm just glad early reports on Jojo are good while acknowledging there's a long time to go.

Agreed, when you consider the level we are currently recruiting at, freshmen getting heavy playing time should not be rare right now at Miami. Also, WR is one of those positions where a freshman can more easily break through. That all said, and I think JoJo is a talent, I believe he is nowhere close to a finished product and I expected Carr to get on the field. I use past tense there because based on the reports rolling in, if anything JoJo appears to have elite work ethic and is impressing the staff.
From what I saw of him his route running needed a little polish and definitely needs to get stronger, but an excellent frame, great hands who doesn't body catch at all, productivity in a competitive hs classification, plus he has a technician in Kevin Beard to help him along is a solid bet for a good outcome.

Advertisement
I would have Horton, Trader and Chance (when he gets here) battle at the X. George with Carr and Washington behind him at the Z. Restrepo with Ray Ray behind him at the slot.

A high-level transfer X would be nice obviously.
Rashod Owens from Ok State. Check him out.

Advertisement
Back