Five best defensive performances by Canes since 1985

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Honorable mention was the entire D line against FSU 1988, made that offense look lost and 3 QB's later they had the goose egg.

Advertisement
1 Sapp against Neb in 94
2 SeanTay vs FSU 2003
3 Tiger Clark vs OU in 88 OB
4 Medearis vs Neb in 92
5A Tony Fitzpatrick vs Neb 83
5B RayRay vs Colorado
Wow! Old school with 5B. I was just a kid watching that kid. We found out what Ray was to become that game. Good call!

UM vs Texas in Cotton Bowl.....Lock this thread now....How tf do you have almost 200yds in Penalties...and STILL administer an Azzwhipping like that??...Lol....to a Top 3 team to boot...
Lets unlock it and I’ll go with the 92 OB, held Nebraska to 171 TOTAL YARDS and a goose egg to win our fourth NC. Rusty had 5 sacks and the rest of the defense absolutely dominated. Game could have been 40-0 if not for some flags and Coach E calling off the dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets unlock it and I’ll go with the 92 OB, beld Nebraska to 171 TOTAL YARDS and a goose egg to win our fourth NC. Rusty had 5 sacks and the rest of the defense absolutely dominated. Game could have been 40-0 if not for some flags and Coach E calling off the dogs.
Need no lessons....I was there...

Need no lessons....I was there...
So was I and on the sideline! My Cugine was a pretty important participant. Eddie Hudak always took care of the passes back then. Dude had a few in his pocket for all the big games.

Advertisement
Time for some trivia:

Who has been to more OBCs than me?

88 MIA v NEB
89 ND v COL
90 ND v COL
91 MIA v NEB
93 FSU v NEB
94 MIA v NEB
97 NEB v TENN
99 FSU v SYR
00 MICH v ALA
04 USC v OU
11 STAN v VT
13 FSU v NIU

Time for some trivia:

Who has been to more OBCs than me?

88 MIA v NEB
89 ND v COL
90 ND v COL
91 MIA v NEB
93 FSU v NEB
94 MIA v NEB
97 NEB v TENN
99 FSU v SYR
00 MICH v ALA
04 USC v OU
11 STAN v VT
13 FSU v NIU
Not me! Great list! Saw our NC games, FSU/UM, USC/Iowa, and OU/Gates although that was actually the NC Game not the Orange Bowl.

Not me! Great list! Saw our NC games, FSU/UM, USC/Iowa, and OU/Gates although that was actually the NC Game not the Orange Bowl.

Nothing like being on the field though.

Of course my ultimate claim to fame is being at the inaugural Blockbuster Bowl.

Advertisement
How about the blocked punt for TD in Morgantown. One of my favorite plays ever. Ugly night, Randy Shannon suffered a head injury when someone threw a 55 gallon trash can from the second level.

Important effort was Miami/BC Ed Reed sealing it with a defensive TD, but single man performance is without any doubt Sean Taylor FSUI

One few will remember but it preserved our record 58 game win streak.

Mimai Arkansas 1988

Note at the 2:10 mark Steve Atwater, a future Hall of Fame member dropped an easy INT and we went on to win by 2 points. Our defense bailed out our inept offense that day although Walsh had a record setting day.

Advertisement
One few will remember but it preserved our record 58 game win streak.

Mimai Arkansas 1988

Note at the 2:10 mark Steve Atwater, a future Hall of Fame member dropped an easy INT and we went on to win by 2 points. Our defense bailed out our inept offense that day although Walsh had a record setting day.
Great memory! 58 in a row will be hard to beat. And the Arizona missed FG kept it going also.

Great memory! 58 in a row will be hard to beat. And the Arizona missed FG kept it going also.

I remember catching those final few minutes against Arkansas on tv at 6 years old. Remember being so shocked Miami lost to ND that year and how big the game felt. Went to the game against BYU and the OB vs Nebraska that year and was hooked ever since.

The following year when we played ND, the game fell on my 8th birthday and my dad all but promised my brother and me that he'd get his hands on tickets. He didn't, and to this day my biggest personal disappointment is not having been there.

Been to many games but missed that one and the 03 game against Florida and I can't help but feel that I missed out. Cest la vie, as the Germans say.

Advertisement
I remember catching those final few minutes against Arkansas on tv at 6 years old. Remember being so shocked Miami lost to ND that year and how big the game felt. Went to the game against BYU and the OB vs Nebraska that year and was hooked ever since.

The following year when we played ND, the game fell on my 8th birthday and my dad all but promised my brother and me that he'd get his hands on tickets. He didn't, and to this day my biggest personal disappointment is not having been there.

Been to many games but missed that one and the 03 game against Florida and I can't help but feel that I missed out. Cest la vie, as the Germans say.
That was one of the tougher tickets in UM history as the Domers were #1 and brought a huge contingent and the Canes fans were smelling blood! IMO The most magical game in OB history. and. by far one of the top team defensive performances ever by a UM team, held #1 to a FG.

Advertisement
Back