Five best defensive performances by Canes since 1985

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
ST vs FSU at doak is goat performance by a cane..
And then Sapp vs fsu and Nebraska stand out to me

Advertisement
Another one that deserves mention: Al Marshall and Antrel Rolle vs the previously unstoppable Larry Fitzgerald in ‘03 He had two catches for 8 yards through 58 minutes before a totally meaningless TD on a miscommunication.
The entire Undersized by atleast 50lbs (per player) UM DL that went up against the Most Decorated OL in NCAA History, Nebraska 1983/84...and more than held their own.....Davey Beat Goliath

Last edited:
Advertisement
Another one that deserves mention: Al Marshall and Antrel Rolle vs the previously unstoppable Larry Fitzgerald in ‘03 He had two catches for 8 yards through 58 minutes before a totally meaningless TD on a miscommunication.
One of the coldest football games I’ve ever attended and I grew up in Ohio so that includes Browns games on Lake Erie

The entire Undersized by atleast 50lbs (per player) UM DL that went up against the Most Decorated OL in NCAA History, Nebraska 1983/84...and more than held their own.....Davey Beat Goliath
Great effort for sure but far from dominating. Huskers had almost 500 yards. Agree on Davey beating Goliath. My boy Bernie also came up big. The win set the stage for one of the greatest 10 year stretches in College football history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Great effort for sure but far from dominating. Huskers had almost 500 yards. Agree on Davey beating Goliath. My boy Bernie also came up big. The win set the stage for one of the greatest 10 year stretches in UM history. Certainly one of the top efforts by a unit
One of the coldest football games I’ve ever attended and I grew up in Ohio so that includes Browns games on Lake Erie
Bet it wasn't as Cold as the 91 Cotton Bowl....I was frozen...

Bet it wasn't as Cold as the 91 Cotton Bowl....I was frozen...
I was at both and I think Pitt at night was colder. That being said the Big D was far from balmy. Both were freezing! Dallas had a little sun now and then, no sun At Heinz at night! You must have forgotten your flask of JW Blue!

I feel like y'all are forgetting Taylor had two picks in the Fiesta Bowl.

And apparently completely forgetting about Dan Morgan vs. FSU in '00. Seventeen tackles and a huge pick by my recollection.
Two more impressive performances

1 Sapp against Neb in 94
2 SeanTay vs FSU 2003
3 Tiger Clark vs OU in 88 OB
4 Medearis vs Neb in 92
5A Tony Fitzpatrick vs Neb 83
5B RayRay vs Colorado

Honorable Mention:

Vilma vs Nebraska in the Rose Bowl, just based on some of the most entertaining open field hits in Cane history.

Bill Hawkins vs Arkansas in ‘88. Dude sat out with a toe injury and ended up having to come off the bench to save the day with a late safety that proved to be the winning points.

Antrel Rolle mercilessly corner blitzing Chris Rix into oblivion in ‘04.

Has anyone mentioned Ted Hendricks vs Spurrier’s Crocs? Before my time, but Spurrier still whines about the beating the Stork put on to this day, from what I understand.

Advertisement
Great effort for sure but far from dominating. Huskers had almost 500 yards. Agree on Davey beating Goliath. My boy Bernie also came up big. The win set the stage for one of the greatest 10 year stretches in College football history.
Where did I say "Dominating"??....Stop putting words in my mouth....It was the D at the end that Won the game....And the question was....Best Defensive performances....Not Offensive....

Advertisement
Top 5 lists are fine, but any list like this starts with Sean Taylor in 2003, and then #2, whoever it might be, is wayyyyyyyy off in the distance.

That game might have been the most dominating performance I've ever seen on the collegiate level by any defensive player on any team ever. It was like he was playing on a completely dry field and literally the other 21 guys out there on every play were running in cement. He was indescribable.
This. He could've had what, 6 pics that game? Not to mention he was everywhere head hunting. **** I miss watching that man play.

Where did I say "Dominating"??....Stop putting words in my mouth....It was the D at the end that Won the game....And the question was....Best Defensive performances....Not Offensive....
My point was it wasn’t in the top five of all time, didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Good effort, absolutely, top five, not even in the conversation.

Advertisement
Back