Five best defensive performances by Canes since 1985

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Ag
Lol at Good effort...
The original post was Top 5 since 1985 in case you missed it! Last time I checked 1984 was prior to 1985. That being said, 500 yards and 30 points don’t make my cut of the top 5, maybe you meant 50!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Ag

The original post was Top 5 since 1985 in case you missed it! Last time I checked 1984 was prior to 1985. That being said, 500 yards and 30 points don’t make my cut of the top 5, maybe you meant 50!
They were beating people 77-0 and rolling up even more offense than that 500yds you speak of...they SWEPT the Awards...and would have also Won the Bilitnikoff (Fryar) but there was no such award that yr....Stop the nonsense...our Defense ESPECIALLY the DL were severely undersized...and still made the play to Win the game....

Ag

Nebraska averaged 405yds rushing a game...and 150yds through the air..and scored 654 points that yr...Prolific isn't the word....for a Terribly undersized UM Defense to do what they did deserves a Top 5 in my book...especially only having ONE 1st team AA (Brophy)...

They were beating people 77-0 and rolling up even more offense than that 500yds you speak of...they SWEPT the Awards...and would have also Won the Bilitnikoff (Fryar) but there was no such award that yr....Stop the nonsense...our Defense ESPECIALLY the DL were severely undersized...and still made the play to Win the game....
Dude you love moving the envelope when someone doesn’t agree with you. Start a new thread on the top PLAYS in UM history and I’ll gladly play along.

Dude you love moving the envelope when someone doesn’t agree with you. Start a new thread on the top PLAYS in UM history and I’ll gladly play along.
I give no Fs whatsoever if someone disagrees with me or not...for anyone to say that UM Def performance doesn't deserve a Top 5 in UM History is laughable....

Advertisement
...on a lighter note, Dan Morgan vs FSU 2000. One of my personal favorites but we as Canes fans have a plenty to choose from.

Go Canes!

I give no Fs whatsoever if someone disagrees with me or not...for anyone to say that UM Def performance doesn't deserve a Top 5 in UM History is laughable....
Im laughing! I’m sorry if I disagree with you, I hope you will forgive me!

Advertisement
I expect nothing more from yourself...
The problem I have is being a fan for so long is that I find that memories of particulars have grow confused over time and pinpointing single performances in specific games is hard. Throw in the usual problem of picking top 5 anything Cane and if get impossible. Still worth the time to read and since our D is what made us feared, it is a fine topic. Glad is was limited to post 85 because we have some seriously fierce games by dlinemen going back to the 60's.

Advertisement
The problem I have is being a fan for so long is that I find that memories of particulars have grow confused over time and pinpointing single performances in specific games is hard. Throw in the usual problem of picking top 5 anything Cane and if get impossible. Still worth the time to read and since our D is what made us feared, it is a fine topic. Glad is was limited to post 85 because we have some seriously fierce games by dlinemen going back to the 60's.
@Gatorhater ....even the Defense giving up the 30yd TD to Jeff Smith turned out to be smart....it left 1min on the clock...If they make the 2pt conversion, it still would have given Kosar only 40-50yds (with decent return...less with Great return) to traverse down the field into FG range, with arguably the Best long range FG kicker in CFB.....
Dennison and Brown were open all night...
And Shakes was a Big Play waiting to happen....Just for the Defense to even be in that position, against the Highest Decorated team in NCAA History, with offensive records that Still stand, without Question deserves a Top 5....Better than Sapp vs Nebraska in 94??...No...Better than SeanTay in 03??....No...Better than Tiger against OU??...Maybe....Better than RayRay against Colorado??...Absolutely...

Slow time so taking a walk down memory lane
Not in any particular order:
Rusty 1992 OB
Tiger Clark 88 OB
Sean at Doak
KP 92 FSU ((Dedicated to Rusty)
Big Russ 90 Cotton Bowl
Sure I missed a few but good startt

devin Hester in the Peach Bowl vs Turds. Dude was a combo of D and Special Teams game of a lifetime

Edge was unreal in that game....I was there. I still tell people that was a Top 5 game I've ever seen in person, still to this day. And not taking away from him at all, he really was an absolute monster. But that game overall was a track meet. Nobody could stop the other, so you're going to have a lot of guys with huge numbers. Again, individually he was incredible. One of the best performances in the history of the school, no doubt. But I still don't think it touches what Sean did that afternoon in 2003. He was honestly MILES better than anyone else on either team. It was the most "man vs boys" performance I've ever seen personally. I will never forget how much he dwarfed every other player.
Maybe the most fun I've ever had at a game. No pressure to win and our O was clicking. Great game to watch and a great ending.

Advertisement
Miami defense against Norte Dame
1989 was suffocating! Another Tiger Clark masterpiece. D Held the #1 team in the country to a field goal. Now that would make my top 5 team defensive efforts. Speaking of Tiger, he’s the head coach at Robert Morris in Pittsburgh

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gatorhater ....even the Defense giving up the 30yd TD to Jeff Smith turned out to be smart....it left 1min on the clock...If they make the 2pt conversion, it still would have given Kosar only 40-50yds (with decent return...less with Great return) to traverse down the field into FG range, with arguably the Best long range FG kicker in CFB.....
Dennison and Brown were open all night...
And Shakes was a Big Play waiting to happen....Just for the Defense to even be in that position, against the Highest Decorated team in NCAA History, with offensive records that Still stand, without Question deserves a Top 5....Better than Sapp vs Nebraska in 94??...No...Better than SeanTay in 03??....No...Better than Tiger against OU??...Maybe....Better than RayRay against Colorado??...Absolutely...
For sure. Bernie proved that opening night the next year against gator. Walked calmly down the field after gator scored the "winner" and started carrying Charlie Pell ( I think) off the field. That NC game was greatest ever for my money. Both teams played until the gun. We should have collapsed after NE tired it up but it didn't happen. NE coming back twice was mark of champ too. Great game win no real loser.

I met a ton of NE fans afterward staying in a hotel across Collins for us after the game. I was giving them NE even and they were giving me 2 or 3 to 1 for three days before the game. Made a fortune on them but they were gracious and agreed it was greatest game ever. I spent about $1500 of it back buying drinks into the wee hours of the morning. Never had so much fun with the other team's fans. Too the man ever one of them said one thing, they had never seen speed like ours.

There are probably some games where the fans played some good defense.

And then some games where Jarren was playing defense for the other team.

For sure. Bernie proved that opening night the next year against gator. Walked calmly down the field after gator scored the "winner" and started carrying Charlie Pell ( I think) off the field. That NC game was greatest ever for my money. Both teams played until the gun. We should have collapsed after NE tired it up but it didn't happen. NE coming back twice was mark of champ too. Great game win no real loser.

I met a ton of NE fans afterward staying in a hotel across Collins for us after the game. I was giving them NE even and they were giving me 2 or 3 to 1 for three days before the game. Made a fortune on them but they were gracious and agreed it was greatest game ever. I spent about $1500 of it back buying drinks into the wee hours of the morning. Never had so much fun with the other team's fans. Too the man ever one of them said one thing, they had never seen speed like ours.
When I was in Omaha for a week in 99 for our 3 NC....I was treated remarkably by Nebraska fans...and Thouroughly enjoyed the entire week...

Advertisement
Back