FIU 5 Miami 0

So that's the key? Outdoor batting cages with shelters and/or indoor cages...and then we byke?

giphy.gif

Advertisement
We led the nation because two or three guys got private help and took it upon themselves to learn how to hit. Everyone else on the team was batting .200.
Aren't you indicting the hitting coach/next head coach with your argument? If we were fortunate enough to have three guys that motivated, what was DiMare doing w the other 15 - 20 position players to do better than hit .200?

We led the nation because two or three guys got private help and took it upon themselves to learn how to hit. Everyone else on the team was batting .200.

You know that this is 2018 and we can find this stuff online, right?

Iskenderian .362
Heyward .340
Thompson .329
Kennedy .323
Ruiz .315
Lopez .309
Barr .307
Collins .305
Abreu .293
Eusebio .289
Chester .267

Agreed. They're getting some good ballplayers from last year's class. I can concede that point, no problem.

However - is a kid deciding to go to FIU over Miami due to them having better cages though? Really? Let's just be honest w/ourselves.

And remember, I do agree with you that we maybe need to upgrade the facilities a bit, and DiMare needs to pay for it. I just disagree that it's the linchpin that you and Fred Sanford's idiot buddy are claiming it to be.

No indoor/covered batting cages isn't the sole reason we suck, but we're getting left behind because these croots are getting wise to our act. We haven't evolved.

We're getting left behind because we recruit pretty boy travel ball kids who look great in a uniform. We're not losing kids. We're identifying the wrong kids.

Advertisement
We're getting left behind because we recruit pretty boy travel ball kids who look great in a uniform. We're not losing kids. We're identifying the wrong kids.
This.

I've said for years that I want some dirtbags on our team that can fight against adversity, get dirty and get the job done. We tend to get guys who are more along the lines of, "My stance looked great at the plate when I watched that called 3rd strike. That's sure to get the scouts' attention!".

When you find the place where talented players and that "dirtbag" mentality crossover w/each other, those are the guys we want wearing Miami uniforms. I want guys who could care less if there's a cover on the batting cage or not, they want to work, get better, and win some championships. Plain and simple.

This.

I've said for years that I want some dirtbags on our team that can fight against adversity, get dirty and get the job done. We tend to get guys who are more along the lines of, "My stance looked great at the plate when I watched that called 3rd strike. That's sure to get the scouts' attention!".

When you find the place where talented players and that "dirtbag" mentality crossover w/each other, those are the guys we want wearing Miami uniforms. I want guys who could care less if there's a cover on the batting cage or not, they want to work, get better, and win some championships. Plain and simple.

That's also why we have guys who can't bunt, don't understand situation baseball, etc. Perfect Game events are all about your at bats. The team concept has been abandoned. But that's where you'll find Gino.

You know that this is 2018 and we can find this stuff online, right?

Iskenderian .362
Heyward .340
Thompson .329
Kennedy .323
Ruiz .315
Lopez .309
Barr .307
Collins .305
Abreu .293
Eusebio .289
Chester .267

And look what happened once there was no protection from DT or Collins (who were being taught by actual professionals). These kids who were hitting belt-high fastballs for singles in 2015-2016 became completely useless.

I assure you that lazy recruiting, while a major problem, is just one of many ways that we've failed as a program recently.

Advertisement
That's also why we have guys who can't bunt, don't understand situation baseball, etc. Perfect Game events are all about your at bats. The team concept has been abandoned.
Yep. Baseball ain't changed - if you can put 9 guys on the field who take pride in knowing the game, work together as a unit defensively, and put the bat on the ball (yes, situational bunting counts in that)...you've got a chance to beat anyone over 9 innings.

Our guys want to look like ballplayers, not be ballplayers.

And look what happened once there was no protection from DT or Collins (who were being taught by actual professionals). These kids who were hitting belt-high fastballs for singles in 2015-2016 became completely useless.

I assure you that lazy recruiting, while a major problem, is just one of many ways that we've failed as a program recently.

You're talking crazy now. Plus you completely ignored that fact that your previous point was 100000% incorrect. That whole team could hit. The 7-hole guy isn't getting protection from the 3-4 hitters. Good grief.

Aren't you indicting the hitting coach/next head coach with your argument? If we were fortunate enough to have three guys that motivated, what was DiMare doing w the other 15 - 20 position players to do better than hit .200?

Of course I'm indicting DiMare with every post. Our baseball program is basically where football was around 2010 in terms of money and resources. Most "major programs" are using indoor cages, computerized simulators, advanced metrics, have a video coordinator, etc. We're still stuck in 1999.

[QUOTE="BWCD, post: 3299877, member: 4405"]Yep. Baseball ain't changed - if you can put 9 guys on the field who take pride in knowing the game, work together as a unit defensively, and put the bat on the ball (yes, situational bunting counts in that)...you've got a chance to beat anyone over 9 innings.

Our guys want to look like ballplayers, not be ballplayers.[/QUOTE]

You're 100% wrong. It's changed drastically and we haven't budged.

http://thetandd.com/sports/usc-base...cle_a1bcace6-3b5b-5af6-ae23-14db38616a8a.html

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're 100% wrong. It's changed drastically and we haven't budged.

Nah, some approaches to preparing for the game have changed, but the game hasn't changed. You still have to catch it and throw it and put it in play. We don't have guys who can do those things consistently. We faced FIU's bullpen last night and struck out 16 times. That has nothing to do with cages or technology. It has to do with bad recruiting and bad coaching.

FIU used a bunch of relievers with ERAs in the 5.00 range last night, including several true freshmen. You're not striking out 16 times because of facilities.

http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/hitting-practice-facility.html

They won the national championship 2 years ago. They built their hitting facility in 2011. 1.2 million dollars (DiMare could write that check in a second and he should). Think it helped them with recruiting? Develop their hitters? I'd bet so. Some of you are too far removed from the college game if you cannot comprehend hitting development is important. It's not realistic to sign Collins/Abreu/DT type dudes every class and have them make it to campus.

Advertisement
You guys were probably the same ones who didn't think having an IPF was important since we had won 5 NCs without one. This university isn't trying to win championships right now, and no changes in recruiting philosophy is going to overcome that.

You guys were probably the same ones who didn't think having an IPF was important since we had won 5 NCs without one. This university isn't trying to win championships right now, and no changes in recruiting philosophy is going to overcome that.

Nah man, we just need to recruit better and coach better. It's THAT easy.

Meanwhile, UF is building a 50 million dollar baseball stadium. Good luck recruiting against that

http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/hitting-practice-facility.html

They won the national championship 2 years ago. They built their hitting facility in 2011. 1.2 million dollars (DiMare could write that check in a second and he should). Think it helped them with recruiting? Develop their hitters? I'd bet so.

Yeah, it helped so much that they completely missed the NCAA Tournament in 2017 and they followed that national title with two recruiting classes in the 30's.

Some of you are too far removed from the college game if you cannot comprehend hitting development is important.

I'm not removed from the college game at all. You must think we're all just a bunch of message board hacks. Of course development is important. In fact, we've said for years that DiMare is terrible at developing hitters. The comedy here is that you guys decided all of a sudden that it's because of facilities.

It's not realistic to sign Collins/Abreu/DT type dudes every class and have them make it to campus.

Is it realistic to get hitters who can make contact against mediocre freshmen relievers from FIU?

So Morris and DiMare aren't the problem. It's that darn athletic budget.

Advertisement
Back