Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Not thinking you could lose? Are we no longer talking about the same team that lost to FIU last year? Lmao what are we doing on this board?!?

That offense wasn't sleep walking. It's ok to say there are limitations. And not all emasculations are the same. We still have a clear path to the ACCCG. If they decided to check out for a game because their chances of losing lessened then this team is going to fold HARD next time they get punched in the mouth.

If you watch the game it was obvious. Anytime they got close we’d score and the d would tighten up , any time we got a little distance the d would suddenly start leaking. Same with the offense. Losing focus is common in these type of games then add in the best player mussing. Not sure what’s hard to understand about that.

Some of you guys keep bringing up last year but this isn’t last years team, that’s just dumb to compare. The qb position is night and day better along with the leadership. We lose this game in previous years, that’s where leadership makes the difference. But it’s beyond obvious they were sleep walking Saturday. Pitt is an average team and we’re above average , before the qb injury. So it’s beyond natural to show up expecting an easy day of it, especially with a fr qb.

The acccg is definitely a possibility, there’s a bunch of average teams and a handful of above average teams, luckily our schedule is full of the latter.

Advertisement
If you watch the game it was obvious. Anytime they got close we’d score and the d would tighten up , any time we got a little distance the d would suddenly start leaking. Same with the offense. Losing focus is common in these type of games then add in the best player mussing. Not sure what’s hard to understand about that.

Some of you guys keep bringing up last year but this isn’t last years team, that’s just dumb to compare. The qb position is night and day better along with the leadership. We lose this game in previous years, that’s where leadership makes the difference. But it’s beyond obvious they were sleep walking Saturday. Pitt is an average team and we’re above average , before the qb injury. So it’s beyond natural to show up expecting an easy day of it, especially with a fr qb.

The acccg is definitely a possibility, there’s a bunch of average teams and a handful of above average teams, luckily our schedule is full of the latter.
Bro we beat Pitt away last year after falling to 3-3 on the year. Don't give me this reinvigorated leadership crap when we've literally only beaten teams we beat last year. It's way too early to start praising "leadership" and sense of turning the corner.

I watched this Pitt game and saw a QB who has a problem with locking in on his first read and trouble identifying what coverage opposing secondaries are in. I see receivers who can't beat press coverage to save their lives. I see a running scheme that consists of inside zone and nothing else. I see an offense that is consistently playing behind the sticks on second and third down. Those are not sleep walking issues.

And wasn't Pickett a late game scratch? Didn't Manny say they prepared two gameplans in case he was healthy this week? I guess our players are playing 32D chess and the rest of the nation is silly enough to try and fool them.

If Pickett plays there’s no doubt we take them more serious , it’s hard to get up for a team when you’re already more talented than and there’s qb isn’t playing. At no time did anyone think we could lose Saturday. They went through the motions and still won by two td’s. That being said we’re an above average team imo , maybe a top 20-25 team.
Cribby; I’m sorry....that’s a problem, even if if that was true. Our 15 yr history says that statement may not necessarily be true.

Also, how can you praise this season's leadership but at the same time say we decided to sleepwalk just like we've always done for the past 15 years?

Where's that leadership you're talking about?

Advertisement
There's no way to know it for sure, but I think Pitt is a much better team with Pickett than with Yellen. That's all. And if they're much better with Pickett, and the game was nip and tuck without him, and I saw several plays that Yellen left on the field that Pickett would have made either with his arm or, more importantly, his legs, then I think there was a very good chance they would have won if Pickett was healthy.
I completely agree with this.

I also think it's important to note, however, that the conversation likely has considerably less concern if not for King's two interceptions that gifted them field position/points. Clean that up, and it's not as close a game.

On the other hand, turnovers like that are not unexpected against a team like Pitt, so you can't write them off as a fluke. They should be built into the analysis prior to talking about the difference Pickett makes.

Regardless of all of this, I think we're going up against some weaker Ds going forward, and that will bode well for King and the O.

I’ve watched Pickett play more than a few times, including this season, and the fact that y’all in here gassing him up as if he’s the second coming of Dan Marino is comical at best. Thank God Almighty that we avoided Kenny Pickett, even though he’s never really done shît against us anyways. Lady Luck is on our side.

I know that you guys don’t like the coaches but you can do better than trying to take credit away from a double digit win bc Kenny Pickett didn’t play.

This thread has been a rough read so sorry if someone already mentioned this but were they lucky Brevin, 1 our best offensive player was also out? Does not having 1 of the, if not the, best TE in the country affect the outcome or do we only do this when the opponents players don’t play?

Cribby; I’m sorry....that’s a problem, even if if that was true. Our 15 yr history says that statement may not necessarily be true.
This season is different just on king alone. A well respected qb that’s actually good and a great leader. There’s your difference and thats a big one . The best leader / qb we’ve had in almost two decades.

Does that mean manny is the guy or the culture has changed? We won’t know the answer until next year but it’s an enormous change from last years qb position. Then people wonder why last year was an epic collapse.

I’ve watched Pickett play more than a few times, including this season, and the fact that y’all in here gassing him up as if he’s the second coming of Dan Marino is comical at best. Thank God Almighty that we avoided Kenny Pickett, even though he’s never really done shît against us anyways. Lady Luck is on our side.

I know that you guys don’t like the coaches but you can do better than trying to take credit away from a double digit win bc Kenny Pickett didn’t play.

This thread has been a rough read so sorry if someone already mentioned this but were they lucky Brevin, 1 our best offensive player was also out? Does not having 1 of the, if not the, best TE in the country affect the outcome or do we only do this when the opponents players don’t play?
Agree.

He’s a pretty good qb but some are acting like Tua was out lol.

Advertisement
Also, how can you praise this season's leadership but at the same time say we decided to sleepwalk just like we've always done for the past 15 years?

Where's that leadership you're talking about?
I’m amazed this is hard to wrap your head around, great teams sleep walk. But they still WIN!!!

Miami teams in our hay day slept walk but would eventually pull away by 2-3 td’s.

A lot of people were expecting a huge **** “ pulling a Miami “. Because we always fall apart after these big losses. So yeah , we came out flat but still won by two td’s. So we didn’t pull same ole, same ole.

Last edited:
Agree.

He’s a pretty good qb but some are acting like Tua was out lol.
Exactly.

He couldn’t beat the dynamic duo of Kosi and Jarren, coached by the ever prolific Dan Enos, at home last year when we scored a grand total of 16 points.

Exactly.

He couldn’t beat the dynamic duo of Kosi and Jarren, coached by the ever prolific Dan Enos, at home last year when we scored a grand total of 16 points.

and Vegas moved the line a whole 1.5/2 points from -10.5 to -12/-12.5 with the second coming of Dan Marino combined with Tim Tebow leadership skills being out ... the so called "heartbeat of the team". LOL what a crock of ****.

I’m amazed this is hard to wrap your head around, great teams sleep walk. But they still WIN!!!

Miami teams in our hay day slept walk but would eventually pull away by 2-3 td’s.

A lot of people were expecting a huge **** “ pulling a Miami “. Because we always fall apart after these big losses. So yeah , we came out flat but still won by two td’s. So we didn’t pull same ole, same ole.
Great teams lol. Great teams don't get gang banged on national television and have one BCS bowl game in the last 15 years. Which is exactly why we're having this conversation in the first place. There's nothing so far to indicate we're anything better than the 8-4/7-5 team we always end up being. Not a newfound surge in leadership (completely unsubstantiated btw) or having a QB that most likely won't play in the NFL as one.

We still have clear and utter limitations that can't be pinned on sleepwalking in the fifth game of the season.

Advertisement
I'm watching pretty much every game that's on. And we're average based on what I've seen. Georgia has a walk-on at QB, and they'd kick the fck out of us.

No one expected UNC to win every game. They're average too, but they'll give us fits because they'll take us more seriously than they did FSU, and they have guys who will give us fits.
All of this. 💯

Great teams lol. Great teams don't get gang banged on national television and have one BCS bowl game in the last 15 years. Which is exactly why we're having this conversation in the first place. There's nothing so far to indicate we're anything better than the 8-4/7-5 team we always end up being. Not a newfound surge in leadership (completely unsubstantiated btw) or having a QB that most likely won't play in the NFL as one.

We still have clear and utter limitations that can't be pinned on sleepwalking in the fifth game of the season.
I doubt @Cribby is calling Miami a great team.

Great teams do sleep walk all the time and lose to subpar teams (check out some of the past champions in the past six years) because they overlook their opponent. Arguing this point seems like arguing for the sake of arguing. Miami getting dealt with by Clemson should have shocked no one who understands football AND the talent gap between the two teams. And we haven't been good in so long so there could not have been a comparison between Miami and Great teams.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Miami doesn't have a killer instinct. Attitude reflects leadership.

There is no guarantee Pitt wins if Pickett plays. The same Pitt team that struggled vs Louisville with Pickett.

No one is crowning Miami or saying we are NC contenders. We do have better leadership just through process of elimination (Enos and J. Williams) and we are statically better than last season by a large number. There are a plethora of things that need fixing that have been discussed repeatedly.

We could be 8-4/7-5 or we could be 11-1/10-2. Guess we find out in the next 7-8 weeks.

Go Canes!

I doubt @Cribby is calling Miami a great team.

Great teams do sleep walk all the time and lose to subpar teams (check out some of the past champions in the past six years) because they overlook their opponent. Arguing this point seems like arguing for the sake of arguing. Miami getting dealt with by Clemson should have shocked no one who understands football AND the talent gap between the two teams. And we haven't been good in so long so there could not have been a comparison between Miami and Great teams.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Miami doesn't have a killer instinct. Attitude reflects leadership.

There is no guarantee Pitt wins if Pickett plays. The same Pitt team that struggled vs Louisville with Pickett.

No one is crowning Miami or saying we are NC contenders. We do have better leadership just through process of elimination (Enos and J. Williams) and we are statically better than last season by a large number. There are a plethora of things that need fixing that have been discussed repeatedly.

We could be 8-4/7-5 or we could be 11-1/10-2. Guess we find out in the next 7-8 weeks.

Go Canes!
I’ve said repeatedly in this thread they’re “ above average “ the twit you’re responding to has reading comprehension problems. Hence why I’ve stopped responding to him.

The point is all teams can sleep walk walk , great or not great. You’re dealing with 18-23 year olds.

The difference between Other Miami teams is there’s actually good leadership (King) and that’s why I never exited our normal collapse after Clemson.

Advertisement
I completely agree with this.

I also think it's important to note, however, that the conversation likely has considerably less concern if not for King's two interceptions that gifted them field position/points. Clean that up, and it's not as close a game.

On the other hand, turnovers like that are not unexpected against a team like Pitt, so you can't write them off as a fluke. They should be built into the analysis prior to talking about the difference Pickett makes.

Regardless of all of this, I think we're going up against some weaker Ds going forward, and that will bode well for King and the O.
You can't take away interceptions. Pitt's a good defense. They force INTs. Pitt made plenty of mistakes too throughout the game, so we can't get into taking away UM's mistakes and leaving Pitt's mistakes in.

I’m not saying we beat a good team or that Pickett doesn’t make it a tougher game but here’s the difference in our views right here. You definitively think that Pitt beats us with Pickett and I don’t think that’s a given.
The TE you mentioned is ten times more important to our team than ricketts is to his. So you're more float like a butterfly than a heel digger. The Brevin comparison was spot on.

You guys are absurd. You guys twist arguments up to the point of absurdity. Pickett doesn't have to be Dan Marino to BE WAY BETTER THAN JOEY YELLEN at this stage of Joey's career. Why doesn't that register with you guys? It's OK, man. It's not the end of the world to point things out like that.

Advertisement
Back