Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Agree.

He’s a pretty good qb but some are acting like Tua was out lol.
None are acting like that .You guys are creating false narratives because what some are saying is too much reality.

In the post right above this one, you claim Miami is so much better because of King because King's a good QB and a leader. That doesn't apply to Pitt and Pickett too? King's not Kyler Murray, but he's better than Perry. Pickett's not Dan Marino, but he's better than Yellen.

Pitt didn't need Dan Marino to beat this Miami team last Saturday. Yellen actually got pretty close despite the constant yammering about "two scores." That game was at issue up till late 4th quarter with Joey Yellen at the helm.

Advertisement
I’ve watched Pickett play more than a few times, including this season, and the fact that y’all in here gassing him up as if he’s the second coming of Dan Marino is comical at best. Thank God Almighty that we avoided Kenny Pickett, even though he’s never really done shît against us anyways. Lady Luck is on our side.

I know that you guys don’t like the coaches but you can do better than trying to take credit away from a double digit win bc Kenny Pickett didn’t play.

This thread has been a rough read so sorry if someone already mentioned this but were they lucky Brevin, 1 our best offensive player was also out? Does not having 1 of the, if not the, best TE in the country affect the outcome or do we only do this when the opponents players don’t play?
10 hours of watching cfb every Sat doesn't qualify as a no brainer?

I’m amazed this is hard to wrap your head around, great teams sleep walk. But they still WIN!!!

Miami teams in our hay day slept walk but would eventually pull away by 2-3 td’s.

A lot of people were expecting a huge **** “ pulling a Miami “. Because we always fall apart after these big losses. So yeah , we came out flat but still won by two td’s. So we didn’t pull same ole, same ole.
We kind of did pull the same ole same ole, and that's why some of us are happy a 4 year starter and unquestioned team leader wasn't there to take better advantage of it.

None are acting like that .You guys are creating false narratives because what some are saying is too much reality.

In the post right above this one, you claim Miami is so much better because of King because King's a good QB and a leader. That doesn't apply to Pitt and Pickett too? King's not Kyler Murray, but he's better than Perry. Pickett's not Dan Marino, but he's better than Yellen.

Pitt didn't need Dan Marino to beat this Miami team last Saturday. Yellen actually got pretty close despite the constant yammering about "two scores." That game was at issue up till late 4th quarter with Joey Yellen at the helm.

False narrative ? I said the team was sleep walking and was flat , a lot of the reason being their qb was out. Also coming off a let down game where they were *** raped.

I also said we’re an above average team and the only reason we didn’t pull a Miami was king. Honestly I don’t even know what we’re arguing anymore.

I will say King wouldn’t lose to Jarren Williams and Kosi , so he’s quite a bit better than Pickett. But like I said “ I don’t even know what we’re arguing “?

Last edited:
Advertisement
We kind of did pull the same ole same ole, and that's why some of us are happy a 4 year starter and unquestioned team leader wasn't there to take better advantage of it.
That’s my point, odds are nothing has changed other than having a great leader at the most important position. When last year there was a weed head that constantly going awol or doing dumb ****. This is a huge upgrade.

Page 22 turned into a "the (insert nba team name) lost game 4 on purpose so they can win at home" bs talk.

I hate when I hear that our players aren't taking it serious. We played for that game as hard as we did and the game was what it was. If the other qb played we would of gave that same effort.

You guys are absurd. You guys twist arguments up to the point of absurdity. Pickett doesn't have to be Dan Marino to BE WAY BETTER THAN JOEY YELLEN at this stage of Joey's career. Why doesn't that register with you guys? It's OK, man. It's not the end of the world to point things out like that.

What makes him way better? What has he done against us, or anyone, in the past that has struck this fear in your heart that we were so lucky to have not had to play against him? Was he going to throw us 2 more picks vs 0 TDS like last year? Has he even led the Pitt offense to more than 31 points against us the last 2 years combined?

I see you didn’t even acknowledge the Brevin point so apparently it only works when their “star” players are out.

Look man, I get it. Clemson game was a disaster. We are far from that level, as are 95% of the country. The Pitt game didn’t set anyone’s hair on fire, even though we won by 2 scores. So this is apparently the time for everyone to jump back on the we suck/Manny and his staff suck wagon. But using Kenny Pickett’s absence as the reason that we won Saturday is reaching to me. If he’d lit us up in the past, I’d give you that but he hasn’t at all, IMO at least.

I guess we just have wildly different opinions of Pickett as a player. I don’t see him as this big time difference maker in leading his team to a W over a top 15 team on the road, apparently you do. To each his own.

Advertisement
Also, how can you praise this season's leadership but at the same time say we decided to sleepwalk just like we've always done for the past 15 years?

Where's that leadership you're talking about?

You must still be a pup.

In the DAY - when we had our great teams - I can't begin to tell you of the times we farted around for three quarters OR MORE before we turned up the heat and got serious. We came from behind lots and lots of times.

They're players.

Not machines.

False narrative ? I said the team was sleep walking and was flat , a lot of the reason being their qb was out. Also coming off a let down game where they were *** raped.

I also said we’re an above average team and the only reason we didn’t pull a Miami was king. Honestly I don’t even know what we’re arguing anymore.

I will say King wouldn’t lose to Jarren Williams and Kosi , so he’s quite a bit better than Pickett. But like I said “ I don’t even know what we’re arguing “?
Like I said, if we came out half-stepping after getting brutally sodomized because we thought we walk over Pitt with its backup QB, then all this discussion is for naught anyway. That's poison you're talking about, friend. After that Clemson humiliation and 6-7 last year, we shouldn't take anything for granted. If we still are, then the wheels will fall off.

Seriously? What makes King way better than Perry? Some QBs are better than others. Pickett, at this stage of his career, is far superior to Yellen. EVERYTHING makes him better. He's better at EVERYTHING.

Ok you ignored everything else so it’s clear you’re dug in on this one. Agree to disagree. Somehow though Yeldon played, at worst, comparable to how Pickett has played against us in previous matchups but ok you’re right, thank God Pickett didn’t play bc it would have been Clemson part 2.

You questioned earlier why I thought you were off the wagon but have you been reading your posts in this thread? Do they sound like posts from a fan that believes in the team he’s posting about? You’re 1, if not the, best poster on this board but you basically just told Cribby the wheels are about to come off so yea seems you’re off the wagon for this years team.

Advertisement
Seriously? What makes King way better than Perry? Some QBs are better than others. Pickett, at this stage of his career, is far superior to Yellen. EVERYTHING makes him better. He's better at EVERYTHING.

Ok I’m done after this.

In the last 2 games Pickett has faced us he’s led the Pitt offense to 15 total points. ****, I’ll throw his freshman year in there too. 39 total points he’s led Pitt to against our defense in 12 quarters. 13 ppg. But we’re lucky he didn’t play Saturday bc apparently he was going to drop as much as he did in 3 games, in 1? Ok.

Pickett hasn’t even lead Pitt to more than 30 points in any games he’s played in THIS season against FBS opponents, 0-4. Come on man.

Yeldon, with some help from our O, put up 19. Nearly a TD more than Pickett’s career average against us and more than Pickett has scored in his last 2 games against us combined. So it seems he ain’t far superior than Yeldon when it comes to leading Pitt to points against the Canes..

Last edited:
Ok I’m done after this.

In the last 2 games Pickett has faced us he’s led the Pitt offense to 15 total points. ****, I’ll throw his freshman year in there too. 39 total points he’s led Pitt to against our defense in 12 quarters. 13 ppg. But we’re lucky he didn’t play Saturday bc apparently he was going to drop as much as he did in 3 games, in 1? Ok.

Pickett hasn’t even lead Pitt to more than 30 points in any games he’s played in THIS season. 0-4. Come on man.

Yeldon, with some help from our O, put up 19. Nearly a TD more than Pickett’s career average against us and more than Pickett has score in his last 2 games against us combined. So it seems he ain’t far superior than Yeldon when it comes to leading Pitt to points against the Canes..

Look, let’s not go full crazy fan here.... Pickett is better than Yellen. If Yellen were better than Pickett, Pickett wouldn’t be the starter. Most CFB head coaches are not dumb, and all CFB head coaches prefer to keep their 7 figure jobs.

Pickett is better because he is the starter. Accept that.

Now... with that being said, the difference between Pickett and Yellen doesn’t appear to be that massive based on Yellen’s performance. Dude was getting destroyed but still threw some nice balls in the right spots. He didn’t fold under pressure. He didn’t throw a single pic. Pickett is also not some superstar who drops dimes all day.

Talking about King to Perry as comparable to Pickett to Yellen is laughably absurd. I like Perry. I really do. But Yellen played a whole lot better than I think Perry ever would have under similar circumstances. And King is a better QB (pass/run/leadership combo) than Pickett today. So, no, Pitt’s situation was not comparable to what our situation would have been if King were out.

Now would the game have been closer with Pickett under center for Pitt? Good chance.

Would we have put up more points if Brevin and our RT were available? Good chance.

Is there any credible basis to say that Pitt would have won if Pickett were available. Abso-*****-lutely not.

Facts; again, my hesitation w/ King was are we getting 2018 King or 2019 King. My other reservation was King is now stepping up against better competition, so how would he fare.

That was my ? regarding Lashlee as well; I know Gus took play calling away from him, and I know what he did at SMU, but SMU is still humming, so was that Lashlee or Sonny? Regardless, it’s pretty evident that we are going to be in some dog fights probably for the remainder of the season, & that’s OK as long as we’re the top dog to help w/ a nice ending to bring in quality players to start filling out our roster.
Not nearly enough people are on lashlee right now for being a bit disappointing for large chunks of a game. We have set up some breakdown TDs which is wonderful, but the rest of the time..? And we still seem unwilling to highlight our strengths and hide our weaknesses. D is too mediocre to struggle on O

Advertisement
If you think there was any coach on earth that could come in and turn what Mark Richt left into a solid program, you're completely delusional.

Saban, Dabo or Meyer would have gotten 8 wins AT BEST with last year's roster. Our special teams were a complete disaster. We had arguably the worst QB room in America. The OL gave up... what.... the MOST sacks in CFB? Weren't we dead last in third down conversions? The offense was completely full of quitters. How many guys have transferred since? What are they up to now? The only thing that was actually working when Diaz took over was the defense.

Diaz has addressed glaring issues by and large well, as a whole, especially for a first-time HC without big-school resources. He understands we need to build a culture of work, accountability and a winning mentality. Call it coach-speak but it's what we **** well needed. I'm not, by any means, saying Diaz is the answer. I'm equally adamant in not saying he's not, yet.

We're 4-1 with a loss to the #1 team in the country and every other win by at least two scores and all we have is Chicken Littles squawking about.
The coaches you mention would’ve hired a much different staph. Based to the competition in the acc, that team underachieved.

I’m amazed this is hard to wrap your head around, great teams sleep walk. But they still WIN!!!

Miami teams in our hay day slept walk but would eventually pull away by 2-3 td’s.

A lot of people were expecting a huge **** “ pulling a Miami “. Because we always fall apart after these big losses. So yeah , we came out flat but still won by two td’s. So we didn’t pull same ole, same ole.
Rutgers, at Rutgers was a sleepwalk fest for the 01’ squad. And then the hammer was dropped. Those were the days.

You must still be a pup.

In the DAY - when we had our great teams - I can't begin to tell you of the times we farted around for three quarters OR MORE before we turned up the heat and got serious. We came from behind lots and lots of times.

They're players.

Not machines.
There is allot of truth to the words written above....

Watching this 2020 UM team has me caught between "we're better than last year" and "we were so horrible last year that we can be better and still not be all that good." I watch about 10 full college games every weekend, and we are pretty average right now. We're ranked 11th, but if we played a weak SEC team like USC, I could see the game going either way.

Yesterday, we played a Pitt team without its best player and the heartbeat of its team, and it was another typical desultory ACC slap fight. Without Pickett, Pitt is total trash. Yet, they hung around the whole game, and their pop gun backup QB was making plays that he probably won't make against most of the other teams they play.

I make it a point to watch every ACC game, and, with the obvious exception of the super power Clemson and horrible Syracuse, all the rest of the teams are pretty interchangeable. GT lost by 300 to Clemson, who was clearly getting revenge for the 220 GT hung on Cumberland College, but that GT team could very easily beat us or any of the rest of the ACC.

Pros:

Our DTs got some push. Jade continues to be disruptive, and JHH is a future star.

Harvey stood out to me. He was active.

The freshman DB, Dunson, might have made the play of the game on the fake punt. He played that thing perfectly and snuffed out a potential game-changing moment.

Mallory stepped up. Still think he should be on the field a lot more and be a focus of the passing offense along with Jordan, Key Smith, and the RBs.

Don Jr. looked tough and fast before he got hurt. He's had shoulder issues, so I'm hoping he's not out for an extended time.

Restrepo at least looks confident and competent catching punts unlike Pope.

Cons:

Pretty much everything else. LOL.

King is either in a slump, or he's pretty much what I thought he was as a streaky passer. I thought he'd be a more dynamic runner though. Most of his best runs are off scrambles where he makes a couple great spin moves in the open field, but he's been completely ineffective in the read-option game. Seems slow in his get off and doesn't make great decisions in the read game.

John Campbell got disemboweled. By the end of the game, Patrick Jones was rendered less effective slogging through Campbell's entrails.

Wiggins and Pope continue to be weak. They're rapidly morphing into Khalil Jones and D'Mauri Jones without the artistic skills.

Our offense is slumping. We're all out of whack now that we're playing some competent defenses. We look disjointed and are very easy to defend. Teams are ganging up on the run game, which seems super basic, and forcing King and our WRs to beat them. And King and the WRs are failing pretty hard. Nice job by Lashlee sneaking Cam and Will out on those fake QB draws. Other than a couple big plays, we were pretty awful and couldn't sustain anything.

Defensively, we're just too easy to throw on. Guys are open all over the place. Old Yellen missed some wide open guys and they had some horrific drops when he did hit them. They bailed us out more than we stopped them.

Phillips has been nowhere near the pass rusher I thought he'd be. In fact, our overall pass rush is pretty weak.
You raise many good points, but at this moment, IDGAF...as long as they keep winning. This is a recruiting year. We need to win in order to haul in true talent and trim away the fat that remains on this team.

Advertisement
Back