Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Advertisement
Just sitting back and saying, "we won and that's all that matters" doesn't really foster much discussion.

We've been through this a million times over the last 20 years. Every time we rattle off a few wins, even when we look bad doing it, there's a segment who says, "a win's a win and that's all that matters." Not really. If you're playing poorly that will usually catch up to you even if you manage to finagle a win against a team missing its best offensive player and senior leader QB.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, and we're average. It's OK. It's better than being trash like we were at the end of last year. There's still time to build on average, and we're lucky be playing a few times missing their starting QBs. But, of course, according to the frail guys on here, the backups aren't even a drop-off from the starter even if the starter started 30 games and is considered one of the best QBs in the ACC by people with football acumen.

Remember the 53-9 clan for Coker?

Sometime -- a lot of times, in fact -- context and the process matter, as much as the overall result

If Pickett plays there’s no doubt we take them more serious , it’s hard to get up for a team when you’re already more talented than and there’s qb isn’t playing. At no time did anyone think we could lose Saturday. They went through the motions and still won by two td’s. That being said we’re an above average team imo , maybe a top 20-25 team.

You guys are off your ******* rocker. All’s Chise is saying is Pickett is better then Smellen & if we played the way we did & Pickett was playing it might have bit us in ***. Meaning step it the **** up bc not everyones starter is gonna be out. Jesus Christ.
I agree to a point , I hate the “ if this happened , or if he played “ argument because the effort isn’t the same for the opponent when one of the better players are out. It’s just natural.

You see it in the nba playoffs all the time , the “what if’s “. If this guy doesn’t get hurt or this bad call isn’t made the series could’ve changed, well the one team was already up 2-0 and didn’t feel threatened. If that call is made and they lose they’ll 100 percent play different if it’s 1-1 vs 2-0. It’s the old “ the hungry dog runs faster theory”. Teams up play different versus teams with their back against the wall. Just like you’d play different if the opponents qb is out. Like I said “ it’s natural.

Advertisement
If Pickett plays there’s no doubt we take them more serious , it’s hard to get up for a team when you’re already more talented than and there’s qb isn’t playing. At no time did anyone think we could lose Saturday. They went through the motions and still won by two td’s. That being said we’re an above average team imo , maybe a top 20-25 team.

This is what I was getting to when I was posting SP+ numbers.

Last year, Miami had a Top 10 defense, bottom 1/3 offense and special teams...the result was a deserved 6-7.
This year, Miami has a Top 1/3 offense, Top 25 defense, and the #1 special teams in the nation.

What does that make us...a Top 25 team...I agree with you, I don't think we're much better than a team in the 20-25 range.

Obviously improved from last year...but while I think last year's team played down from their talent, this year is playing to their talent. We're 4-1, but the teams we beat are all teams we beat last year. The toughest teams still lay ahead (outside of Clemson, obviously)...I can't help but think we've got an unfortunate L or two coming just like we have had them over the past 15 years. Next month or so will test how much Manny Diaz and his staff has grown as coaches.

“Lucky” isn’t a word I’d use because i think we’d beat them regardless. Luck implies that with Pickett we lose and I don’t think so personally. By that standard, Pitt got lucky that Brevin couldn’t play and that Rousseau opted out. I’d save lucky for guys like Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne. If we played Clemson without those two and played a close game, I’d consider us lucky.
Yeah, the 4 year starting QB and unquestioned leader of the team is slightly more important than a TE.

I think Pickett would have helped Pitt. It’s not my problem that he’s out and i don’t care. Players are out all the time and teams play on. I don’t think we’re much above average now so I’m not delusional about what we are at this point. We were 6-7 last year with losses to FIU and La Tech. We’re in a better place now but we’re not going beyond the Coastal today. still, that’s an improvement. That’s what I need to see. Real, incremental steps.

A guy loses a lot of weight quickly on Atkins and gains it back and then some. Another guy loses weight slowly. It’s less of a wow factor up front but it’s a more solid foundation over time. Slower but more steady I’m looking for a foundation right now not a splash. 2017 was a splash. Two years later we have a losing record.

I thought we’d be more competitive against Clemson too. I saw us exposed. I expected Pitt to be tough for us on D. This offense is hamstrung with horrible WR play. I think Lashlee is doing what he can to scheme guys open but I have a problem with him continuing to start the WR group he has instead of the younger guys like Smith and Redding.

I know we lose this game last year because we were weak mentally. I see a difference that way this year. That’s an improvement and I’m going to recognize and appreciate that small glimmer of hope that something good is happening slowly but surely.
I never asked if it was your problem Pickett missed the game or that we should give the win back because he didn't play. I'm grateful he didn't play because they would have beaten us if he did. I'll take the win, and I'll take any other wins we can get too.

But I'm not going to whistle through the graveyard and act like we played a good football game just because we won. We won the Central Michigan game last year too, and we stunk while doing it. We won the Pitt game last year too and looked like **** while doing it and needed a pot head vagabond with a suitcase in his hand to rescue us.

So many facts here bruh u prolly changed their minds and they keeping it on the DL and won't admit it. Pride bruh pride and egos
They know I'm right, but this is America now where people are taught to to dig their heels in and argue, fuss, and fight even when they're wrong and they know they're wrong. Either they're too stupid to realize they're wrong here, or they're digging their heels in on the dumb side of a debate.

Advertisement
You guys are off your ******* rocker. All’s Chise is saying is Pickett is better then Smellen & if we played the way we did & Pickett was playing it might have bit us in ***. Meaning step it the **** up bc not everyones starter is gonna be out. Jesus Christ.
Heel digging 101. Then they talk about too many ifs and buts and all that. That's not too many ifs or anything. It's their 4 year starting QB and unquestioned leader being replaced by a freshman with no experience. If we lose King and replace him with Perry and lose, the same guys will be saying "we would have won that game if King played."

****, they even yap about a call going against during the 2nd quarter as an excuse for a loss, but now they think Pitt missing their top offensive player, leader, and 4 year QB is too much speculation. LOL.

It shouldn't be hard for a 6-7 team that just got emasculated and destroyed the week prior to get up for anyone. If that's still a problem, then we still have the same problems we've had for the last 20 years, and that spells doom for Diaz.

It shouldn't be hard for a 6-7 team that just got emasculated and destroyed the week prior to get up for anyone. If that's still a problem, then we still have the same problems we've had for the last 20 years, and that spells doom for Diaz.
No doubt.

We’re in no place to be going through the motions. Better yet we’re nowhere good enough.

Coming out flat is a red flag.

I never asked if it was your problem Pickett missed the game or that we should give the win back because he didn't play. I'm grateful he didn't play because they would have beaten us if he did. I'll take the win, and I'll take any other wins we can get too.

But I'm not going to whistle through the graveyard and act like we played a good football game just because we won. We won the Central Michigan game last year too, and we stunk while doing it. We won the Pitt game last year too and looked like **** while doing it and needed a pot head vagabond with a suitcase in his hand to rescue us.
I’m not saying we beat a good team or that Pickett doesn’t make it a tougher game but here’s the difference in our views right here. You definitively think that Pitt beats us with Pickett and I don’t think that’s a given.

Advertisement
I don't buy they came out flat. Pitt is a legit defense whose strengths play against our biggest offensive weakness. King throws two picks that set up Pitt with two immediate scoring opportunities inside the 15 yard line that led to 10 points. Is that indication an of coming out flat? Or could the score have really been 31-9? You played a team that makes everything a fistfight and you won and weren't threatened in the 4th and would've covered if you didn't kneel down at the end of the game.

Oh and Pickett has gotten worse this year as the level of talent of his opponents has gone up. He did play well against NC State. He wasn't gonna be the difference in the game. Partly because he's rarely the difference in any game he plays. He's thrown 34 TDs and 19 INTs in his career. He isn't good. And he wasn't changing the outcome.

Last edited:
After having been emasculated in prime time for 4 hours for all the nation to see you think Miami went out there and just went through the motions?

I’m not saying we beat a good team or that Pickett doesn’t make it a tougher game but here’s the difference in our views right here. You definitively think that Pitt beats us with Pickett and I don’t think that’s a given.
There's no way to know it for sure, but I think Pitt is a much better team with Pickett than with Yellen. That's all. And if they're much better with Pickett, and the game was nip and tuck without him, and I saw several plays that Yellen left on the field that Pickett would have made either with his arm or, more importantly, his legs, then I think there was a very good chance they would have won if Pickett was healthy.

Advertisement
After having been emasculated in prime time for 4 hours for all the nation to see you think Miami went out there and just went through the motions?
When the qb on the other team is out it’s very normal to come out uninterested or not thinking you can lose. It happens all the time.

Also since when does Miami getting emasculated on national tv mean they’ll show up the next game? Have you been watching this program for the last 15 years?

There's no way to know it for sure, but I think Pitt is a much better team with Pickett than with Yellen. That's all. And if they're much better with Pickett, and the game was nip and tuck without him, and I saw several plays that Yellen left on the field that Pickett would have made either with his arm or, more importantly, his legs, then I think there was a very good chance they would have won if Pickett was healthy.
I don’t disagree with this. Pitt has a better chance with Pickett. I just don’t think it’s definitive that we lose.

I disagree with your assessment of the defense. I think you yourself said a few weeks ago that the game of football has changed and it's about scoring lots of points now. Clemson - LSU and recently Bama - Ol Miss, Bama - UGA being prime examples. All but Ol Miss have elite defenses yet they gave up a zillion points. The magic number last year was 31. If we'd scored just 31 points, we would have gone 12-1. The defense was not the problem. Is the D elite? No, but it was good enough to win 12 games if the offense had pulled its own weight.

In terms of recruiting, if you talked to me before the Clemson game, I'd have been highly critical of the talent at LB. But I saw a ton of promise in Brooks and Flagg the last two games. They should settle the biggest issues at the LB position this year (I am bullish on TAC and Huff as well). Granted, McCloud is a liability, at LB or striker.

Novels have been written about Rumphs bad recruiting. But credit where it's due. Couch erased Pitt's WRs. Blades is a gem. Dunson flashed as well. We definitely need to improve there, and I would not be surprised if Diaz makes a move to upgrade from Rumph unless he pulls some miracle and lands an elite CB. Frierson is doing well at striker, Hall has disappointed.

Safety is a mixed bag. Diaz brought in Bolden. He's going to play on Sundays. Carter is a knucklehead at safety, but I believe that if Avantae Williams was healthy, he'd be taking a lot of Carters minutes. I think Diaz also recognized that we've been weak recruiting at safety, and now we have an incoming 5 star, maybe the best safety prospect in the country. Williams and Williams have unreal potential.

All in all though, the defense has been good under Diaz's tenure. The talent infusion next year is going to be fun to see.
I dont get why our fans think Hall is such a big disappointment, did I miss something?

When the qb on the other team is out it’s very normal to come out uninterested or not thinking you can lose. It happens all the time.

Also since when does Miami getting emasculated on national tv mean they’ll show up the next game? Have you been watching this program for the last 15 years?
Not thinking you could lose? Are we no longer talking about the same team that lost to FIU last year? Lmao what are we doing on this board?!?

That offense wasn't sleep walking. It's ok to say there are limitations. And not all emasculations are the same. We still have a clear path to the ACCCG. If they decided to check out for a game because their chances of losing lessened then this team is going to fold HARD next time they get punched in the mouth.

Advertisement
Back