Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Because stats are factual. Your feelings that Pickett is a good quarterback are not backed up by facts.
Chise is saying he changes the parameters of the game. DEs can't pin there ears back they have to respect the edge.....it changes everything with him playing. Chise is right who cares what stats say.....so Saquon can average 2.0 yards a pop all game and break a 90 harder late right?

Let's say u have the worst pass protecting OL of all time and u never throw the ball u run it all game. Will that tell u that u have a bad pass protecting OL? No it won't u won't know by reading the stats cause they ran it all game.

Advertisement
No one is saying it wouldn't have been tougher. But the implicatication we got "lucky" he didn't play flies in the face of past performances by this D against that particular player.

Like I asked before, if the situations had been reversed and King the injured player, would the assumption be he struggles or tears up Pitt?
The assumption would be that King, even though he struggled against Pitt, is still infinitely better than Perry, the backup. If Perry had played, we would have lost most likely.

That's the same thing with Pickett and Yellen. Why is it so tough for you guys to admit we got lucky that Pickett didn't play? Unless you think Pickett and Yellen are equal players/leaders, we got lucky Pickett didn't play.

Like I said, I’m not ****ting on this win and I wouldn’t use the word lucky either. I’m sure it helped that Pickett was out and that’s fine but it doesn’t matter to me. We play who they give us. We would have been lucky to play Clemson without TL or Etienne. We’ve had plenty of reasons to shît on this team for losses. I’m taking every win any way we can to get to double digits for two more years and recruit off it.
So, if you think Pitt is better with Pickett, then that means you agree that we are lucky Pickett didn't play. What's so tough about just admitting something simple like that? It's not shytting on the win; it's just acknowledging reality. Pickett is better than Yellen. Everyone except the CIS commandoes realize that as fact.

Chise is saying he changes the parameters of the game. DEs can't pin there ears back they have to respect the edge.....it changes everything with him playing. Chise is right who cares what stats say.....so Saquon can average 2.0 yards a pop all game and break a 90 harder late right?

Let's say u have the worst pass protecting OL of all time and u never throw the ball u run it all game. Will that tell u that u have a bad pass protecting OL? No it won't u won't know by reading the stats cause they ran it all game.
Too many ifs and buts. Might the game have been closer with the other quarterback? Possibly. But there’s no evidence that Pitts starting quarterback is that much of a difference maker. He’s played at a mediocre level for four seasons. His previous two starts against Miami were horrible. There’s no evidence besides feelings.

These dudes have convinced themselves Joey Yellen with no starts and cement feet is better than one of the top QBs in the ACC with 30 starts, great legs, the ability to throw on the run, and the unquestioned leader of his team. Then, if King gets hurt and Perry plays, they'd say we only lost because King didn't play.

Advertisement
Too many ifs and buts. Might the game have been closer with the other quarterback? Possibly. But there’s no evidence that Pitts starting quarterback is that much of a difference maker. He’s played at a mediocre level for four seasons. His previous two starts against Miami were horrible. There’s no evidence besides feelings.
How about the first game against Miami where he made all the plays at the right time and led his team to an upset of then top 3 undefeated Miami? Forgot about that one?

Just sitting back and saying, "we won and that's all that matters" doesn't really foster much discussion.

We've been through this a million times over the last 20 years. Every time we rattle off a few wins, even when we look bad doing it, there's a segment who says, "a win's a win and that's all that matters." Not really. If you're playing poorly that will usually catch up to you even if you manage to finagle a win against a team missing its best offensive player and senior leader QB.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, and we're average. It's OK. It's better than being trash like we were at the end of last year. There's still time to build on average, and we're lucky be playing a few times missing their starting QBs. But, of course, according to the frail guys on here, the backups aren't even a drop-off from the starter even if the starter started 30 games and is considered one of the best QBs in the ACC by people with football acumen.
I don’t have a problem calling us average or a little above average. I do think that we lose this game last year and fold up completely after Clemson and this year we didn’t so that’s an improvement. I don’t have illusions of quick fix to elite. This will take a couple years and f solid recruiting and Manny making some hard choices on the defensive coaching side.

How about the first game against Miami where he made all the plays at the right time and led his team to an upset of then top 3 undefeated Miami? Forgot about that one?
I guess he made enough plays to get his team 24 points. Considering his next two starts against Miami his team got a total of 15 points, I’d say his overall play hasn’t been too great. 39 total points in three games. That’s 13 whole points per game. The backup was able to tally 19.

I don’t have a problem calling us average or a little above average. I do think that we lose this game last year and fold up completely after Clemson and this year we didn’t so that’s an improvement. I don’t have illusions of quick fix to elite. This will take a couple years and f solid recruiting and Manny making some hard choices on the defensive coaching side.
Problem is guys don't want to speculate on what would have happened had Pickett played, yet they have no problem assuming we would have lost this game last year despite the fact we beat Pitt last year at Pitt with their starting QB playing.

I don't expect elite. I expect us to show up and compete against Clemson, which we didn't. And I expect us to hammer Pitt when they're playing a newbie at QB.

There's still a lot of season left and a lot of room for growth. Guess what? We play great against UVA, and I'll call it like it is. I'm not going to be the guy who has a preconceived notion on a coach or player and then bend the facts to fit that preconceived opinion. I think Lashlee was a very good hire, but our offense has been crappy the last two weeks. Go whip on UVA, and I'll call it like it is.

Advertisement
I guess he made enough plays to get his team 24 points. Considering his next two starts against Miami his team got a total of 15 points, I’d say his overall play hasn’t been too great. 39 total points in three games. That’s 13 whole points per game. The backup was able to tally 19.
I don't even understand your argument. Is your point that because Pickett wasn't great the last 2 games against us that Yellen was better than him and gave Pitt a better chance to beat us THIS YEAR? Makes no sense at all. You're too smart for that simpleton ****. I'd expect that simpleton nonsense from others on here but not you.

The better QB (Pickett) would have given Pitt the better chance to win just like King gives us a better chance than Perry. That's football. QB is the number one most important position in sports, and you'd have to be a mongoloid to think Yellen was the better option than Pickett to help Pitt win that game.

Of course, you conveniently left out Pickett beating top 3 UM as a true freshman and making several huge plays in that game to get it done.

Lmao how is this thread still going over a hypothetical argument? Who cares what might have happened with Pickett? He didn’t play, we won. Pitt is over. ****kkk em. Could we have played better, **** yeah!

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, and all that! Lmao hypothetical *** debate

Lmao how is this thread still going over a hypothetical argument? Who cares what might have happened with Pickett? He didn’t play, we won. Pitt is over. ****kkk em. Could we have played better, **** yeah!

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, and all that! Lmao hypothetical *** debate
LMAO at some dude perpetuating a thread that he doesn't think should still be going.

I don't even understand your argument. Is your point that because Pickett wasn't great the last 2 games against us that Yellen was better than him and gave Pitt a better chance to beat us THIS YEAR? Makes no sense at all. You're too smart for that simpleton ****. I'd expect that simpleton nonsense from others on here but not you.

The better QB (Pickett) would have given Pitt the better chance to win just like King gives us a better chance than Perry. That's football. QB is the number one most important position in sports, and you'd have to be a mongoloid to think Yellen was the better option than Pickett to help Pitt win that game.

Of course, you conveniently left out Pickett beating top 3 UM as a true freshman and making several huge plays in that game to get it done.
You keep mentioning Pickett winning as a freshman while ignoring he played like garbage as a sophomore and junior. We have to use the entire body of work if we’re using past performances as a measure. The truth is, Pitt is probably slightly better with him. Certainly not twelve points better. But if you play the “player x was injured” card for one team, you have to play the same card for the other team. Miami played without their best linemen and best receiver. It’s entirely possible Miami scores even more with both those guys in the lineup. But this is all just speculation. You play the game with the players you have.

By the way, I’m in agreement that it wasn’t a pretty game. The Hurricanes should have and could have played better. I just believe luck wasn’t as much of a factor in the outcome as you do. I’m not of the opinion that Pickett is a difference maker.

Advertisement
31-19 with 4 passing tds and aloowing one td at 9 minutes in the 3rd struggling?
We can play what ifs but Pickett didn't play. So no one knows what he would've done. He could of played and had the worst game of his career.
Come on my friend; go back to the game thread to see if we were struggling. We all saw the game. Go back & look at the three times I capitalized Thank you Pitt. You know I capitalized it? B/c I was grateful that Pitt’s WR dropped balls square in their hands to extend drives as they were marching, or they had a bone headed penalties that wiped away a big play.

We struggled.

So, if you think Pitt is better with Pickett, then that means you agree that we are lucky Pickett didn't play. What's so tough about just admitting something simple like that? It's not shytting on the win; it's just acknowledging reality. Pickett is better than Yellen. Everyone except the CIS commandoes realize that as fact.
“Lucky” isn’t a word I’d use because i think we’d beat them regardless. Luck implies that with Pickett we lose and I don’t think so personally. By that standard, Pitt got lucky that Brevin couldn’t play and that Rousseau opted out. I’d save lucky for guys like Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne. If we played Clemson without those two and played a close game, I’d consider us lucky.

Come on my friend; go back to the game thread to see if we were struggling. We all saw the game. Go back & look at the three times I capitalized Thank you Pitt. You know I capitalized it? B/c I was grateful that Pitt’s WR dropped balls square in their hands to extend drives as they were marching, or they had a bone headed penalties that wiped away a big play.

We struggled.
A game has an opponent that practice and scheme . They don't come in and lau down. It's called competition. Competition isn't supposed to be easy. Hence always a struggle involved. We've come to the point we can't enjoy winning with how awful the last two seasons have been. Just can't grasp the concept.

Advertisement
Problem is guys don't want to speculate on what would have happened had Pickett played, yet they have no problem assuming we would have lost this game last year despite the fact we beat Pitt last year at Pitt with their starting QB playing.

I don't expect elite. I expect us to show up and compete against Clemson, which we didn't. And I expect us to hammer Pitt when they're playing a newbie at QB.

There's still a lot of season left and a lot of room for growth. Guess what? We play great against UVA, and I'll call it like it is. I'm not going to be the guy who has a preconceived notion on a coach or player and then bend the facts to fit that preconceived opinion. I think Lashlee was a very good hire, but our offense has been crappy the last two weeks. Go whip on UVA, and I'll call it like it is.
I think Pickett would have helped Pitt. It’s not my problem that he’s out and i don’t care. Players are out all the time and teams play on. I don’t think we’re much above average now so I’m not delusional about what we are at this point. We were 6-7 last year with losses to FIU and La Tech. We’re in a better place now but we’re not going beyond the Coastal today. still, that’s an improvement. That’s what I need to see. Real, incremental steps.

A guy loses a lot of weight quickly on Atkins and gains it back and then some. Another guy loses weight slowly. It’s less of a wow factor up front but it’s a more solid foundation over time. Slower but more steady I’m looking for a foundation right now not a splash. 2017 was a splash. Two years later we have a losing record.

I thought we’d be more competitive against Clemson too. I saw us exposed. I expected Pitt to be tough for us on D. This offense is hamstrung with horrible WR play. I think Lashlee is doing what he can to scheme guys open but I have a problem with him continuing to start the WR group he has instead of the younger guys like Smith and Redding.

I know we lose this game last year because we were weak mentally. I see a difference that way this year. That’s an improvement and I’m going to recognize and appreciate that small glimmer of hope that something good is happening slowly but surely.

A game has an opponent that practice and scheme . They don't come in and lau down. It's called competition. Competition isn't supposed to be easy. Hence always a struggle involved. We've come to the point we can't enjoy winning with how awful the last two seasons have been. Just can't grasp the concept.
OK; I see where u’re coming from...so let me be a little more specific:

I’m proud our boys willed a W. We are vastly more talented than Pitt (on paper). They were down their starting QB who leads FBS in passing.

Diaz said we were a different team, yet I saw the same tendencies. We didn’t come out like a team trying to prove something. We were constantly w/ in our RZ, fighting off a back up QB. Plays were open all game for an inferior team. On the opposite end, our O was stale and disjointed which allowed Pitt to continually hang around.

So when I say we struggled, we were going back & forth w a team missing their best play maker. And before we bring up Brevin, our best player makers this season have been our RBs thus far, either sneaking out the back field or running the rock b/c King has been erratic af.

Last edited:
OK; I see where u’re coming from...so let me be a little more specific:

I’m proud our boys willed a W. We are vastly more talented than Pitt (on paper). They were down their starting QB who leads FBS in passing.

Diaz said we were a different team, yet I saw the same tendencies. We didn’t come out like a team trying to prove something. We were constantly w/ in our RZ fighting off a back up QB. Plays were open all game for an inferior team. On the opposite end, our O was stale and disjointed which allowed Pitt to continually hang around.

So when I say we struggled, we were going back & forth w a team missing their best play maker. And before we bring up Brevin, our best player makers this season have been our RBs thus far, either sneaking out the back field or running the rock b/c King has been erratic af.
The biggest problem we have besides talent is subpar coaching and personnel decisions on the defensive side of the ball.

In fact scrap that in part. We have enough talent. These coaches don’t play it.

These dudes have convinced themselves Joey Yellen with no starts and cement feet is better than one of the top QBs in the ACC with 30 starts, great legs, the ability to throw on the run, and the unquestioned leader of his team. Then, if King gets hurt and Perry plays, they'd say we only lost because King didn't play.
So many facts here bruh u prolly changed their minds and they keeping it on the DL and won't admit it. Pride bruh pride and egos

Advertisement
Back