Fireside Chat with The Living Legend

You're right that we shouldn't need to choose between a great O and great D. However, as long as Diaz is our HC, we are going to have to accept that this is the D he will run. He'll change the O because that's not his baby. The D is what he does, and he's struggled with all the same stuff before he got here and since he's been here. He will give us a D we can usually win a lot of games with. We might be unsound, and I agree with all your complaints. But we'll make enough plays to stop some drives and force some turnovers.

What we see Baker struggling with is pretty much what we've always seen Diaz struggle with. Expecting Diaz to save us from Baker is like hating the French fries at McDonald's and expecting Ronald McDonald to step in and fix it.

Brother - I didn’t accept Golden’s unwillingness to make defensive changes. I didn’t even accept Randy’s and he was a CANE and produced some elite results. I’m not going to lay down for Dumb Dumb Baker and Manny’s cronies. I am going to be the gerbil up his *** every week.

We have the ability to turn the corner with this team if he makes the right coaching decisions. We finally have a modern day offense. It isn’t about Defensive personnel at this point. It’s about his decisions. And I could never turn away from that.

The difference between Manny Diaz and Baker is Diaz’s ability to feel the game and pay attention to the details. Diaz failed forward in front of our eyes. We could clearly see it... the attention to detail. We don’t have anything close that right now.

Advertisement
I agree. Unfortunately, unless Diaz has a come to Jesus moment and decides to change his entire philosophy, I'm pretty sure this is what we are going to have defensively with him. We can bytch and moan about it every week, but I don't see it changing. I guess the big question becomes: Can we win big with this defense and a great offense? We'll see.
Maybe Manny will realize there may be other ways to generate pressure and TFLs that don’t seem to always require giving up gashing plays. Bring in new coaches with other ideas, and more experience. Or at least stop the delayed blitzes.

Maybe Manny will realize there may be other ways to generate pressure and TFLs that don’t seem to always require giving up gashing plays. Bring in new coaches with other ideas, and more experience. Or at least stop the delayed blitzes.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Seems like Diaz has gone out of his way to stack the defensive staff with his valets and do boys.

I agree with you on how Lashlee carries himself. I had my guard up since I was happy to see the hint of a personality after that ****bag enos left, but he seems like the real deal on and off the field. A real leader. Throw the bank at this guy to get him to stay as long as possible

I agree with you on how Lashlee carries himself. I had my guard up since I was happy to see the hint of a personality after that ****bag enos left, but he seems like the real deal on and off the field. A real leader. Throw the bank at this guy to get him to stay as long as possible
He won't leave because of pay. Lash wants to be a HC, and he's been very strategic in his decisions in that respect. He saw this sleeping giant as the next step in his progression toward HC.

Advertisement
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Seems like Diaz has gone out of his way to stack the defensive staff with his valets and do boys.

I agree and don't expect anything to change on defense, and certainly no firings outside of Rumph. But if there's any chance anything could be tweaked it's going to come from Reeds input imo.

and in the back-to-back Bama-Clemson title games, Bama's D surrendered a combined 75 points. Some of these dudes live in a fishbowl
Look at all of Bama’s championships, all their Defense’s have been elite. They have regressed since Smart left. If Clemson can score those points against Bama, what makes you think Miami has a shot with our garbage scheme? If Miami wants to be a contender, it has to upgrade and modify the Defensive side of the ball.

Look at all of Bama’s championships, all their Defense’s have been elite. They have regressed since Smart left. If Clemson can score those points against Bama, what makes you think Miami has a shot with our garbage scheme? If Miami wants to be a contender, it has to upgrade and modify the Defensive side of the ball.
They have regressed because SEC teams finally started playing offense. They’re still incredibly talented but all things equal, good offense beats good defense in today’s game. Clemson didn’t allow a single team to score more than 20 points against them last year until the playoffs when LSU dropped 45 on them. Eventually you run into a team that matches up with you talent wise and you’d better be able to score and score a lot. Miami has work to do on the defensive side of the ball but this idea that “dominant” defenses are what it takes to win championships is outdated.

He won't leave because of pay. Lash wants to be a HC, and he's been very strategic in his decisions in that respect. He saw this sleeping giant as the next step in his progression toward HC.

Zero doubt. And I think he has the charisma to walk into job interviews and have presidents and AD's ejaculating faster than I did when I lost my virginity to Kelly Bundy

Advertisement
Nothing profound I can add here as OP, as usual, covered all the bases with his usual uncanny insight.

We may not win them all this year, but it's going to be a lot of fun watching our team.

I think some of y’all are forgetting that Louisville has a very good offense, they are going to get theirs against pretty much anyone they play.

There are things that need to be cleaned up on defense but it’s been at minimum, good since Manny has been here. Good enough to win at a high level. I think bringing in elite level recruits, which we are in the process of doing, can take it from good to great.

Once we get this thing rolling in all 3 phases, watch out. We’re not that far off.

They have regressed because SEC teams finally started playing offense. They’re still incredibly talented but all things equal, good offense beats good defense in today’s game. Clemson didn’t allow a single team to score more than 20 points against them last year until the playoffs when LSU dropped 45 on them. Eventually you run into a team that matches up with you talent wise and you’d better be able to score and score a lot. Miami has work to do on the defensive side of the ball but this idea that “dominant” defenses are what it takes to win championships is outdated.
Clemson has had a dominant Defense in all their championships. How outdated is it really? Outside of OU, all the playoff teams in the last 5 years have had great Defense’s. This isn’t opinion, this is factual. Defense matters unless you have a ridiculous Offense like LSU which is very unlikely.

Don take my word for it. Ask OU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They’ll never get it. Even after watching Oklahoma, LSU and Bama get torched by every decent offense they faced last year.
This is factually incorrect, by a long shot for LSU. If you want to have an honest discussion, sure Texas and Bama scored quite a bit, but ...

LSU vs. #1 scoring offense Oklahoma (48.4 ppg) held them to 28 points.
LSU vs. #2 scoring offense Utah State (47.5 ppg) held them to 6 points.
LSU vs. #4 scoring offense Clemson (44.3 ppg) held them to 25 points.
LSU vs. #14 scoring offense UGA (37.9 ppg) held them to 10 points.
LSU vs. #19 scoring offense TA&M (36 ppg) held them to 7 points.

So, no, LSU was not torched by every decent O they faced last year.

100% my brother. Our fans are a lot more lenient with words like "dominant" when describing other teams. LSU was dominant last year. On offense. Period.
No point in getting into an argument over a subjective measure like “dominant” since everyone will lose. And no, LSU‘s D was not anything like our 89 D. Although, it says something when you hold the #2, #14, and #19 offenses to 10 points or less, and also hold the #1 offense to 14 points until you sit most of your starters after taking a 49-14 lead.

Agree on the premise of your post, you can’t win on defense alone in this era.

Last edited:
Agree Bolden was a stud last night. He did a good job on covering Atwell, guy is no slouch. On one play where UL audibled to an option play. Bolden came up to the line and directed the entire defense on what UL was doing. Boy sniffed out the play before it even happened.

He’s like the ONLY player consistently directing traffic. He’s clearly our best player.

Advertisement
This is factually incorrect, by a long shot for LSU. If you want to have an honest discussion, sure Texas and Bama scored quite a bit, but ...

LSU vs. #1 scoring offense Oklahoma (48.4 ppg) held them to 28 points.
LSU vs. #2 scoring offense Utah State (47.5 ppg) held them to 6 points.
LSU vs. #4 scoring offense Clemson (44.3 ppg) held them to 25 points.
LSU vs. #14 scoring offense UGA (37.9 ppg) held them to 10 points.
LSU vs. #19 scoring offense TA&M (36 ppg) held them to 7 points.

So, no, LSU was not torched by every decent O they faced last year.

They want to create false narratives to support their view. The tape says otherwise.

With all the cloth grabbing and cut blocks deliberately diving at guys knees, I thought SuckerPunch and his team were the second coming of that arrogant ******* that coached GT all those years.
I love how the league preaches safety but the refs allow that **** over and over again. Hopefully, they address it going forward before they ruin someone's career.

I'll start with some general philosophy and then hit you with the pros and cons. It's time to celebrate, boys. Learn to celebrate the wins in life, and this was a big one. 2020 sucks for most even though I've never been happier, so breathe this one in and enjoy it.

Again, a large segment of the national media had us losing just like a lot of them picked UAB to beat us. They don't know what the astute UM fans know and what a few of us have been trying to tell you--we have a lot of talent on this team. All we needed was a leader at QB and a modern OC who would cater to the type of talent we have and not try to foist that 1970s Big 10 Boner Hayes pro style bro **** on us. We have both now.

Learn to accept that our defense isn't going to be a Sonny Lubick/Greg McMacken 9 points per game defense. Those days are over. Get over it. This is a defense built on creating havoc and splash plays. We hope to get the O off balance and in long yardage situations and force turnovers. It's not a sound defense, and it will always give up plays to good passing teams. Keep in mind that when you have a real O you don't have to be perfect every game or series on D.

OU makes the playoffs every year with a D that is complete dog ****; our D is better than theirs. It's all relative, boys. The entire Big 12 struggles to stop each other every year because football is an offensive game today. LSU was always a tough D, but they never had an O, and they struggled even with loads of talent. They get a great O, and they dominate everyone including Clemson and their great D. Look at the game holistically and stop focusing on one play or one player or one side of the ball. It's the ultimate team game, so when your D is struggling or playing a good O, then you lean on your O. We can do that now.

Pros:

Lash: This dude brings that big dyck swagger to our entire team. Just watch how he carries himself and how he coaches. He's tough, but he cares. He's not just a screamer who the players hate. He'll kick your *** then share some cookies his daughter made. He teaches and relates and demands excellence. On top of that, he brings the diversity I've been screaming for while most of you guys were telling me "but Dorsey and Booch and pro style is the Miami way."

King: Winner. Calm. Leader. Oh yeah, and he makes plays too. That throw to Harley where he was twisting and turned sideways and looked like Kareem dropping a sky hook was a thing of beauty. He looks a little robotic at times in the read option, but I still think they're trying to limit the hits on him. You don't want to destroy your QB in the first half of the season.

Cam Harris: I was tough on him last year, but he's proving to be a legit homerun hitter. Give him and edge or a crease, and he's gone. He's not going to be a guy who consistently picks up yards, but he's going to drop pellets on you if he gets a crease. And I love seeing that upright long stride of his when he gets loose. The turnover is fun to watch.

Brevin: Best TE in college football. Great job by Lash making him a focus. When you have a guy like that, you have to force feed him.

Joe B.: The ball explodes off his foot. I actually felt confident when he went out there for a 57 yarder. I would have been surprised if he missed it. It's a cannonading blast off his **** foot. Love the tats and eye black and the swag. This kid is Miami personified.

Cam Williams: Love his speed and length off the edge. He's playing like people were telling me Harvey was going to play last year. Future big time star.

Phillips: Stud. Warrior. Nonstop motor. He's all over the field and is a total disruptor. He might not have a million sacks, but he is constantly disrupting which is way more important than an occasional sack and then disappearance for 30 plays.

B. Bold: I actually saw idiots ripping him in the gameday abortion thread. This dude was everywhere. He's got great speed to the ball, and when he gets there he makes the play. Asking him to cover PooPoo AssSmell is retardation or complete lack of trust in your CB depth.

Cons:

CB Depth: If we can't get a 4th corner ready or god forbid lose 1 to injury, we will continue to have problems covering people. You simply can't ask any S to try to cover little fast dudes like AssSmell.

Jennings: Love his willingness to trade paint, but he's not a UM MLB right now. I'm not sure Brooks is either because I hear about how good he is, but I just don't see him jumping off the screen at me. None of our LBs seem to be jumping out at me. As a UM fan, you know when you have a great LB. We've seen them.

Harley: He was terrible. Can't drop TD passes. That's like a turnover in my book. Then, what the fck was he doing on that onside kick? That was awful.

Manny sitting on the ball at the end of the 1st half: That was horrible. You have all the momentum, 2 TOs, 1:40, and the ball in plus territory. And you take the air out of the ball. That was reminiscent of Booch's weak **** from the 90s.

Refs: They let UL hold and cheap shot all night. Pathetic.

Sissy UM fans: Fck you and buck up. LOL at you fools eating Splatterfield's *** all week, and then Manny owned him again for a 3rd time. And you're still making excuses for him."
"B. Bold: I actually saw idiots ripping him in the gameday abortion thread. This dude was everywhere. He's got great speed to the ball, and when he gets there he makes the play. Asking him to cover PooPoo AssSmell is retardation or complete lack of trust in your CB depth."

Great post! Don't know I disagree with anything. But, I posted that quote because that's INSANE!! Anyone with eyeballs and a spinal cord (no brain necessary) could see that Bolden is playing at an elite level. You can easily make the claim that he is on of our top 3 best D players, if not the best. He stopped multiple plays against solid players that would have gashed us in past years, but he stopped them. BB is an absolute stud and I hope we can keep him for one more year.

Advertisement
Back