Fireside Chat with The Living Legend

Good point about the refs. It was very one-sided and we better not see that crap against F$U next week. Louisville played dirty, chopping low with a few cut blocks. We're lucky Phillips isn't hurt from a glaring low block that went un-penalized.
With all the cloth grabbing and cut blocks deliberately diving at guys knees, I thought SuckerPunch and his team were the second coming of that arrogant ******* that coached GT all those years.

Advertisement
Yep. It's better to win 47-25 than 16-7. Those close games are often decided by a bad bounce. A 20 point win is not.

That’s what I’ve been saying forever. The reason people still talk about 4th and 17 and losing those last three games is because that D was on a tightrope every single game. When you have zero margin for error, every mistake is magnified ten fold.

These intangibles make all the difference. We won more with Rosier than we did with Kaaya and JW for that reason. But King is actually a talented playmaker on top of those intangibles. Let's enjoy the ride and hope he stays for another year.
You're absolutely right. Rosier brought swag and calm. As bad as he was at times (and I blame the Ricks for steadily making him progressively worse every week), he was clutch and calm. King brings that same energy with ability on top of it.

I'll start with some general philosophy and then hit you with the pros and cons. It's time to celebrate, boys. Learn to celebrate the wins in life, and this was a big one. 2020 sucks for most even though I've never been happier, so breathe this one in and enjoy it.

Again, a large segment of the national media had us losing just like a lot of them picked UAB to beat us. They don't know what the astute UM fans know and what a few of us have been trying to tell you--we have a lot of talent on this team. All we needed was a leader at QB and a modern OC who would cater to the type of talent we have and not try to foist that 1970s Big 10 Boner Hayes pro style bro **** on us. We have both now.

Learn to accept that our defense isn't going to be a Sonny Lubick/Greg McMacken 9 points per game defense. Those days are over. Get over it. This is a defense built on creating havoc and splash plays. We hope to get the O off balance and in long yardage situations and force turnovers. It's not a sound defense, and it will always give up plays to good passing teams. Keep in mind that when you have a real O you don't have to be perfect every game or series on D.

OU makes the playoffs every year with a D that is complete dog ****; our D is better than theirs. It's all relative, boys. The entire Big 12 struggles to stop each other every year because football is an offensive game today. LSU was always a tough D, but they never had an O, and they struggled even with loads of talent. They get a great O, and they dominate everyone including Clemson and their great D. Look at the game holistically and stop focusing on one play or one player or one side of the ball. It's the ultimate team game, so when your D is struggling or playing a good O, then you lean on your O. We can do that now.

Pros:

Lash: This dude brings that big dyck swagger to our entire team. Just watch how he carries himself and how he coaches. He's tough, but he cares. He's not just a screamer who the players hate. He'll kick your *** then share some cookies his daughter made. He teaches and relates and demands excellence. On top of that, he brings the diversity I've been screaming for while most of you guys were telling me "but Dorsey and Booch and pro style is the Miami way."

King: Winner. Calm. Leader. Oh yeah, and he makes plays too. That throw to Harley where he was twisting and turned sideways and looked like Kareem dropping a sky hook was a thing of beauty. He looks a little robotic at times in the read option, but I still think they're trying to limit the hits on him. You don't want to destroy your QB in the first half of the season.

Cam Harris: I was tough on him last year, but he's proving to be a legit homerun hitter. Give him and edge or a crease, and he's gone. He's not going to be a guy who consistently picks up yards, but he's going to drop pellets on you if he gets a crease. And I love seeing that upright long stride of his when he gets loose. The turnover is fun to watch.

Brevin: Best TE in college football. Great job by Lash making him a focus. When you have a guy like that, you have to force feed him.

Joe B.: The ball explodes off his foot. I actually felt confident when he went out there for a 57 yarder. I would have been surprised if he missed it. It's a cannonading blast off his **** foot. Love the tats and eye black and the swag. This kid is Miami personified.

Cam Williams: Love his speed and length off the edge. He's playing like people were telling me Harvey was going to play last year. Future big time star.

Phillips: Stud. Warrior. Nonstop motor. He's all over the field and is a total disruptor. He might not have a million sacks, but he is constantly disrupting which is way more important than an occasional sack and then disappearance for 30 plays.

B. Bold: I actually saw idiots ripping him in the gameday abortion thread. This dude was everywhere. He's got great speed to the ball, and when he gets there he makes the play. Asking him to cover PooPoo AssSmell is retardation or complete lack of trust in your CB depth.

Cons:

CB Depth: If we can't get a 4th corner ready or god forbid lose 1 to injury, we will continue to have problems covering people. You simply can't ask any S to try to cover little fast dudes like AssSmell.

Jennings: Love his willingness to trade paint, but he's not a UM MLB right now. I'm not sure Brooks is either because I hear about how good he is, but I just don't see him jumping off the screen at me. None of our LBs seem to be jumping out at me. As a UM fan, you know when you have a great LB. We've seen them.

Harley: He was terrible. Can't drop TD passes. That's like a turnover in my book. Then, what the fck was he doing on that onside kick? That was awful.

Manny sitting on the ball at the end of the 1st half: That was horrible. You have all the momentum, 2 TOs, 1:40, and the ball in plus territory. And you take the air out of the ball. That was reminiscent of Booch's weak **** from the 90s.

Refs: They let UL hold and cheap shot all night. Pathetic.

Sissy UM fans: Fck you and buck up. LOL at you fools eating Splatterfield's *** all week, and then Manny owned him again for a 3rd time. And you're still making excuses for him.

Chise and @Liberty City El are money.

They have the best overall perspective of what is going on.

Both from a granular and big picture perspective. You don’t have to agree with every single detail point, but overall they hit virtually all the marks with their posts.

Personally, I appreciate it, because on a lazy Sunday, I don’t need to type too much, I know my points are coming across from these guys.

Respectfully, disagree. The teams who make the playoffs consistently have a dominant Defense. Even LSU, with their insane Offense, was nasty on Defense. Clemson, OSU, Bama, all have great Defense’s. Heck, Florida and Wisconsin do well because their Defense is their strength. If you want to beat Clemson, we need to figure a way to stop those guys, at the very least, hold them under 24-27. With what we are running, that’s not going to happen.
Alabama and Clemson have great defenses. Last year LSU dropped 50 on Clemson's great defense. Almost all of the Clemson v Alabama matchups have been high scoring. The game has changed. You have to get a couple of stops, get them to kick a few field goals, or get a few turnovers. And your offense has to score points

Advertisement
I agree with most of everything in the OP except for the defensive analysis. We aren’t fundamentally sound and that has NOTHING to do with our OC, our offensive tempo, OU, LSU or anything else.

We simply aren’t well coached in the back seven and our play-caller is trash. That’s our issue.

We don’t need to choose between having a good offense OR a good defense. A better staff would dramatically change how we play on defense. Which is exactly what we are witnessing on offense this year.
You're right that we shouldn't need to choose between a great O and great D. However, as long as Diaz is our HC, we are going to have to accept that this is the D he will run. He'll change the O because that's not his baby. The D is what he does, and he's struggled with all the same stuff before he got here and since he's been here. He will give us a D we can usually win a lot of games with. We might be unsound, and I agree with all your complaints. But we'll make enough plays to stop some drives and force some turnovers.

What we see Baker struggling with is pretty much what we've always seen Diaz struggle with. Expecting Diaz to save us from Baker is like hating the French fries at McDonald's and expecting Ronald McDonald to step in and fix it.

Did you see when the team was close to the goal line and losing focus? Dude blew up and yelled for everyone to get their **** together. After being nauseated by unfocused coaches and all the nonsense celebrating, it’s great to see a relentless, focused killer. He’s ****ed off if we’re not lined up perfectly within 10 seconds of being tackled on the prior play. God bless him.
That might have been one of my favorite parts of the game right there. He's the type of leader we can win with. He's friendly with the players and they like him. But he'll get in their *** when he needs to. It's a perfect blend, and I think that's the type of leadership that works best.

Advertisement
Agree with you on Jennings, he over pursued & took a bad angle on that 4th & 1 run & he routinely gets swallowed trying to shoot the wrong gap.

A lot of those cutback stretch Zones get so many initial yards because Jennings doesn't have the feet or the hips to flip & shed to get back to his gap, once he's committed to going in one direction that's where he's going whether the runner is there or not lol.

IMO he's basically a less talented & slower Shaq Quarterman.

Brooks is the real deal, he's our fastest LB & recovers better than any of them, the issue he's having is he's playing to what Baker is asking of him, he needs to be allowed to roam & react freely, he's a Patrick Queen/Kenneth Murray style backer but we have him playing strict assignment ball where he can't really do what he does best which is run & hit.

Aside from the CB depth, the most annoying thing about our Defense is how we use our LB's & the personnel groupings we go with at LB. We have DL rotation figured out & Safety as well, but with LB it's a crap shoot from week to week.
I feel badly for Jennings because you can tell how much the game means to him and how tough he is. But he just doesn't have the athletic ability to succeed at a high level. He'd have been a great LB in the 80s like Amari Carter would have been a great S in the 80s.

I need to see it with Brooks. He hasn't really flashed to me yet, but he's got a lot of time to get better.

Respectfully, disagree. The teams who make the playoffs consistently have a dominant Defense. Even LSU, with their insane Offense, was nasty on Defense. Clemson, OSU, Bama, all have great Defense’s. Heck, Florida and Wisconsin do well because their Defense is their strength. If you want to beat Clemson, we need to figure a way to stop those guys, at the very least, hold them under 24-27. With what we are running, that’s not going to happen.
I disagree on "dominant defense." Most of the playoff teams have good defenses, but not many are dominant, and some like OU are downright terrible. LSU showed us last year what a difference a great O can make.

That might have been one of my favorite parts of the game right there. He's the type of leader we can win with. He's friendly with the players and they like him. But he'll get in their *** when he needs to. It's a perfect blend, and I think that's the type of leadership that works best.
Yep, he'll chew their *** out when needed, but how many shots were there of him on the sidelines going over things with King? Always teaching

LSU's nasty defense still allowed the following teams to score a ton of points last year:

Texas scored 38
Vanderbilt scored 38
Florida scored 28
Alabama scored 41
Ole Miss scored 37
Oklahoma scored 28

So I think the point made by the Living Legend stands - the days of only allowing 9 points a game are over and are not coming back, mainly due to (1) rules changes that are heavily slanted in favor of the offense and (2) spread offenses.
100% my brother. Our fans are a lot more lenient with words like "dominant" when describing other teams. LSU was dominant last year. On offense. Period.

Advertisement
I agree, LSU got lit up, at times, last year but usually they are stronger on Defense. That Offense was one of the greatest of all time. Last year’s LSU team was probably the exception and not the rule. Clemson and Bama usually play good enough D to slow down elite opponents significantly enough to win. We are no where near that.
LSU was much better defensively when their team was average and playing in the Citrus Bowl. They became dominant last year when they finally added a real offense. Their defense was actually worse than it had been in quite some time by all metrics.

Agree the days of a 9-points-a-game defense are long gone. I also agree with @Coach Macho the DL aggressive play/scheme exposes the LBs to OL rather than allow them to clean up. There are a number of defensive schematic issues and playcalling that need correcting.
I agree. Unfortunately, unless Diaz has a come to Jesus moment and decides to change his entire philosophy, I'm pretty sure this is what we are going to have defensively with him. We can bytch and moan about it every week, but I don't see it changing. I guess the big question becomes: Can we win big with this defense and a great offense? We'll see.

I'll start with some general philosophy and then hit you with the pros and cons. It's time to celebrate, boys. Learn to celebrate the wins in life, and this was a big one. 2020 sucks for most even though I've never been happier, so breathe this one in and enjoy it.

Again, a large segment of the national media had us losing just like a lot of them picked UAB to beat us. They don't know what the astute UM fans know and what a few of us have been trying to tell you--we have a lot of talent on this team. All we needed was a leader at QB and a modern OC who would cater to the type of talent we have and not try to foist that 1970s Big 10 Boner Hayes pro style bro **** on us. We have both now.

Learn to accept that our defense isn't going to be a Sonny Lubick/Greg McMacken 9 points per game defense. Those days are over. Get over it. This is a defense built on creating havoc and splash plays. We hope to get the O off balance and in long yardage situations and force turnovers. It's not a sound defense, and it will always give up plays to good passing teams. Keep in mind that when you have a real O you don't have to be perfect every game or series on D.

OU makes the playoffs every year with a D that is complete dog ****; our D is better than theirs. It's all relative, boys. The entire Big 12 struggles to stop each other every year because football is an offensive game today. LSU was always a tough D, but they never had an O, and they struggled even with loads of talent. They get a great O, and they dominate everyone including Clemson and their great D. Look at the game holistically and stop focusing on one play or one player or one side of the ball. It's the ultimate team game, so when your D is struggling or playing a good O, then you lean on your O. We can do that now.

Pros:

Lash: This dude brings that big dyck swagger to our entire team. Just watch how he carries himself and how he coaches. He's tough, but he cares. He's not just a screamer who the players hate. He'll kick your *** then share some cookies his daughter made. He teaches and relates and demands excellence. On top of that, he brings the diversity I've been screaming for while most of you guys were telling me "but Dorsey and Booch and pro style is the Miami way."

King: Winner. Calm. Leader. Oh yeah, and he makes plays too. That throw to Harley where he was twisting and turned sideways and looked like Kareem dropping a sky hook was a thing of beauty. He looks a little robotic at times in the read option, but I still think they're trying to limit the hits on him. You don't want to destroy your QB in the first half of the season.

Cam Harris: I was tough on him last year, but he's proving to be a legit homerun hitter. Give him and edge or a crease, and he's gone. He's not going to be a guy who consistently picks up yards, but he's going to drop pellets on you if he gets a crease. And I love seeing that upright long stride of his when he gets loose. The turnover is fun to watch.

Brevin: Best TE in college football. Great job by Lash making him a focus. When you have a guy like that, you have to force feed him.

Joe B.: The ball explodes off his foot. I actually felt confident when he went out there for a 57 yarder. I would have been surprised if he missed it. It's a cannonading blast off his **** foot. Love the tats and eye black and the swag. This kid is Miami personified.

Cam Williams: Love his speed and length off the edge. He's playing like people were telling me Harvey was going to play last year. Future big time star.

Phillips: Stud. Warrior. Nonstop motor. He's all over the field and is a total disruptor. He might not have a million sacks, but he is constantly disrupting which is way more important than an occasional sack and then disappearance for 30 plays.

B. Bold: I actually saw idiots ripping him in the gameday abortion thread. This dude was everywhere. He's got great speed to the ball, and when he gets there he makes the play. Asking him to cover PooPoo AssSmell is retardation or complete lack of trust in your CB depth.

Cons:

CB Depth: If we can't get a 4th corner ready or god forbid lose 1 to injury, we will continue to have problems covering people. You simply can't ask any S to try to cover little fast dudes like AssSmell.

Jennings: Love his willingness to trade paint, but he's not a UM MLB right now. I'm not sure Brooks is either because I hear about how good he is, but I just don't see him jumping off the screen at me. None of our LBs seem to be jumping out at me. As a UM fan, you know when you have a great LB. We've seen them.

Harley: He was terrible. Can't drop TD passes. That's like a turnover in my book. Then, what the fck was he doing on that onside kick? That was awful.

Manny sitting on the ball at the end of the 1st half: That was horrible. You have all the momentum, 2 TOs, 1:40, and the ball in plus territory. And you take the air out of the ball. That was reminiscent of Booch's weak **** from the 90s.

Refs: They let UL hold and cheap shot all night. Pathetic.

Sissy UM fans: Fck you and buck up. LOL at you fools eating Splatterfield's *** all week, and then Manny owned him again for a 3rd time. And you're still making excuses for him.
Calvin and Beastmode excuse making 101

Great and I couldn't say it any better.

Advertisement
Good write up man. That 57yarder was just ridiculous. I thought he might get over the bar but he hit the back of the sails with another 15yds left in that thing.

Lashlee’s play calling and scheming can’t be praised enough. We had the ball 19 minutes, and scored in a hurry every drive. Every time they clawed back we would just crush their spirit. Love Lashlee changing the play on the spot to result in 80yd TDs. The o line pass protection was lights out. Based off missed calls and dropped passes, Louisville is lucky it wasn’t 60+ points.
Joe B kicks like a roided out horny mule. Kudos to Manny for getting his *** whipped by this kid then asking him to come on board. Manny absolutely owns the transfer market.

I expect defensive improvement as the season goes on because our inexperienced guys are getting game time and instruction. Harvey and Williams dont show much of a drop off when in there. Harrison-Hunte looks very active out there Couch looks like he will be fine and Brooks looks he might start at OLB and they might slide MCloud back to MLB. One of the freshman corners Dunson or Clark is going to have to learn quick because we are thin depth wise with Christian Williams gone. They actually got some PT when Manny put in the reserves late in the game.
We have some athletic ,young receivers in Keyshawn Smith and Redding and I expect both to get more PT unless our current starters show more.

LSU was much better defensively when their team was average and playing in the Citrus Bowl. They became dominant last year when they finally added a real offense. Their defense was actually worse than it had been in quite some time by all metrics.
and in the back-to-back Bama-Clemson title games, Bama's D surrendered a combined 75 points. Some of these dudes live in a fishbowl

Advertisement
Back