Finally (offensive line)

You are all missing the most important point. Rotating works well when you have 8-10 lineman who can play. When you don't, we saw what happens. Poor decision by Golden.

Advertisement
Against Duke, we did two things we should've done all year.

First, we started our best five with Darling-McDermott-Linder-Isidora-Odogwu. Second, we kept them in and didn't rotate. They weren't perfect but they looked better and allowed Rosier to settle in.
Golden had a strange obsession with rotating players. He was so **** bent on keeping players fresh through the game that he sacrificed continuity for it.

I dont know if I've ever seen a coach believe in himself as much as golden and be so wrong so often

Yeah I've never seen that in all my years watching CFB.

Last year he would play Perryman 2 series and then take him out. This year, Bush sat out the whole 1st half vs Cincy and then didn't play him on some series in the 2nd half. Golden was a complete incompetent.

it was truely bizarre to watch a kid make a play and then immediately run off the field, seemingly because of some situational down and distance crap. Its like the guy was playing Strat-O-Matic football.

Rotating OL made sense when we had 1 or 2 capable guys on the bench like, Wheeler or Lewis in 2013. We barely have a starting 5 and still had a Chinese fire drill going on this season.

Advertisement
ART KEHOE has ALWAYS ROTATED HIS LINEMEN!!

That is Art's core philosphy that all his linemen should be able to play any position in case of injury or poor performance. The only time he doesn't rotate a play is when they have completely cemented themselves at one spot such as a LT or a Center.

He feels it will make them better overall players and also more valuable long term in the NFL with the ability to make pro team at any position along the oline. I think it sucks personally, but Art Kehoe has put more linemen in the NFL than any other Oline coach in college football history so the proof is in the pudding.

Go Canes

Against Duke, we did two things we should've done all year.

First, we started our best five with Darling-McDermott-Linder-Isidora-Odogwu. Second, we kept them in and didn't rotate. They weren't perfect but they looked better and allowed Rosier to settle in.

Not saying I disagree with you but O-Line rotations are kind of en vogue right now in the NFL and some colleges. It never did make sense to me though either. I would also assume you have more room for error on the rotation if there isn't a large talent gap with the guy you're rotating. Which in our situation seems to be the case.

Here's a quote from the Broncos this weekend:

On the offensive line’s chemistry:
“I think we rotated them even more last week and I think that’s a good trend. We’ll just keep playing them because I think it keeps our guys fresh. Not just at running back when we rotate those like we talked about with C.J. and Ronnie and our wide receivers moving in. It helps to keep them fresh and we’re throwing new guys out there for the defensive guys to look at. I think we’ll just keep working them and we’ll take it week by week, play by play, series by series you don’t know.”

They Said It: Von Miller, Broncos coaches on preparing for Colts

I understand that college and pros are different, however, that's probably where Golden got it from. However, when the results are less than spectacular, you'd think you look at a different approach.

I didn't mind it the last couple years because we had veterans and we had talent. My issue is that some guys in the rotation this year (like Gall) weren't UM quality and the young starting five needed time to gel.

Yep, what I noticed as well. I was happy to see Sonny out there at RT. For as much as I dogged him in the preseason he's proven vast improvement. And, anyone could see he's better than isadora. KCM is a guard and I think darling will be fine at LT.

A few things probably went into the decision to rotate.

1. Didn't have established starters.. The 5 that started the year looked shaky and failed to cement themselves as clear #1 's. He wanted to find the right combination and eventually settle on a the top 5.

2. Depth building. Goes without saying but depth needed to be built.

It's easy to second guess now but it was a dammed if you do and danmmed if you don't situation. I think after having a chance to see all the guys in action the best have surfaced. Scott is smart to stick with them and rotate sparingly.

Advertisement
It has to be Golden philosophy to rotate then. Coley hinted to a reporter when asked that they won't be rotating anymore. Strange how assistants do better when not handcuffed by a bad HC.

Golden ran this team like a travel ball team. Appeasing parents of the kids making sure they all got some reps in.

It has to be Golden philosophy to rotate then. Coley hinted to a reporter when asked that they won't be rotating anymore. Strange how assistants do better when not handcuffed by a bad HC.

i spoke to Kehoe in the summer and he told me that Golden wanted rotation just about at every position other than QB.

I never understood the 8 man rotating OLine. Never heard or seen another team do that, takes the players out of rhythm.

Advertisement
ART KEHOE has ALWAYS ROTATED HIS LINEMEN!!

That is Art's core philosphy that all his linemen should be able to play any position in case of injury or poor performance. The only time he doesn't rotate a play is when they have completely cemented themselves at one spot such as a LT or a Center.

He feels it will make them better overall players and also more valuable long term in the NFL with the ability to make pro team at any position along the oline. I think it sucks personally, but Art Kehoe has put more linemen in the NFL than any other Oline coach in college football history so the proof is in the pudding.

Go Canes

this is the exact opposite of what he told me in person this summer.

I just don't understand why they didn't "trust there training and conditioning" to make it through a full game without any unnecessary substitutions.

The 2001 OL was great because it returned 4/5 starters that had all played alongside one another for a full season. God **** it's amazing what an idiot Alf was.

Advertisement
I hope OP is tellin me Gall didnt get in the game and will not play for the rest of the year

Kehoe has always rotated OL. That doesn't make it the best option for this particular OL, and it doesn't mean that Kehoe by default wanted to rotate this OL, but it's certainly not some crazy concept that Golden brought in from Temple. It's been Kehoe's MO for decades.

I noticed we were playing our best guys against more and rotating less. Not just at OL, but at WR and safety as well.

The point is you can't rotate just to rotate. Gall shouldn't play outside of injury and it was crazy when they threw in Sunny last year when he clearly wasn't ready yet.

Advertisement
Back