Film Review of UNC Game

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] , I was one of the guys that blamed Richts play calling for our struggles on offense. After reading your posts I tend to think it’s more on the QB reads and offensive line. I’m curious to see what your opinion is having broken down each game.

Honestly, it's mostly execution. We are limited in a lot of places that a majority of individuals do not grasp.

Our OL is average-to-below. This isn't simply a, "well, our OL is limited" throwaway statement, it's a we cannot do certain things at certain times in a game because the OL cannot be trusted to allow it to happen, type thing. But think about it, we are playing true freshmen a prominent number of snaps. If you show me a team relying on true freshmen on the lines, I'll show you a team that is limited offensively.

The QB is limited. He cannot be asked to move from one read to the next, to the next, to the next. He is being asked to make one or two predetermined reads and then pull the ball down and run. Richt himself has stated this. He is asking Rosier to pull the ball and run. This means if reads one and two are not there, the play is over from a passing standpoint and Rosier has to make a play with his legs. We are trying to protect the ball above all else. Rosier is a good QB because he has cajones, more than any other reason.

We are playing true freshmen at WR. You are asking players to come into an offense that relies on reads to be effective. Again, think about it, we are reading on every play. The WR has to see the same thing as the QB before the snap to get in a potential place to succeed. Then, we are relying on players who have never been in these situations and asking them to make plays against legit NFL talent so that we can win games.

Richt loves to use TE's and a FB in his offense. We have one player at these positions, total. It is so bad that we moved a DE to TE and have actually put him into games for entire series. Predictably, this has been the biggest sore spot for us this year. We've actually used Richards, Langham, Berrios and others as in-line blockers. It's all on film to see. That just absolutely limits your offense. We need another TE who can block and make plays to be more effective in the red zone and in short yardage. Richt's offense relies on edge blocking and down blocking to seal the edges and hold the lines. This will take another year to build up.

Richt loves to use a FB on run/pass option plays- especially in the red zone. That FB needs to be able to run, block, catch, and make plays. We currently do not have a player capable of doing any of those things. A Zach Crockett type would do wonders for this offense.

I am a nobody. I do not know anything compared to Mark Richt. That said, I would use tempo and motion more to understand the coverage and allow Rosier to have those two predetermined reads before the snap and make the right decision. AS I showed in this film review, tempo allows you to see what the defense is doing and then adjust before each play because the defense has to get set and ready within five seconds, because you could snap the ball. Varying that snap time allows for adjustments against the defense. Tempo also prevents the defense from subbing when you get them in a personnel grouping that's advantageous to what you currently have on the field.

There are plays there. There are plays every single game. Until we get more consistent on offense, and are actually executing the plays as they are called, we will be inconsistent. I think you start there and work away from it.

Our offense is not complicated. We run four personnel packages, basically. We run four formations out of each personnel packages, roughly. Then, we run four-to-six plays basically on a loop each game.

Inside zone out of shotgun. Outside zone out of shotgun. Power out of shotgun (pull a guard, double-team a DT and release to the second level). Read-Option out of shotgun. Bubble screen. Square-in. Slant. Four Verts. Wheel. Post & Corner. Double crossers (deep and shallow crossers, normally in opposite directions). We also run a TE stop route that has an option depending on how the defense plays it. We have run this very little this year because of personnel, and because I believe it's not a strength of Rosier's, and it was of Kaaya (and Njoku).

That's it. That's our playbook for the most part. Not a bad thing, if you execute it there are adjustments to every single defense in this offense and you always have the chance to take what the defense is giving you. It doesn't rely on superhuman talent. It doesn't rely on an elite QB. It doesn't rely on a running QB. It's simply, yet elegant. Like a traditional home that stays valuable throughout time. A lot of buyers want that modern industrial type home, but fail to realize it will be losing value in ten years while the traditional keeps on gaining.
Pin this post. Not just to the board, but people's foreheads too.

Advertisement
[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] , I was one of the guys that blamed Richts play calling for our struggles on offense. After reading your posts I tend to think it’s more on the QB reads and offensive line. I’m curious to see what your opinion is having broken down each game.

I am a nobody. I do not know anything compared to Mark Richt. That said, I would use tempo and motion more to understand the coverage and allow Rosier to have those two predetermined reads before the snap and make the right decision. AS I showed in this film review, tempo allows you to see what the defense is doing and then adjust before each play because the defense has to get set and ready within five seconds, because you could snap the ball. Varying that snap time allows for adjustments against the defense. Tempo also prevents the defense from subbing when you get them in a personnel grouping that's advantageous to what you currently have on the field.

Inside zone out of shotgun. Outside zone out of shotgun. Power out of shotgun (pull a guard, double-team a DT and release to the second level). Read-Option out of shotgun. Bubble screen. Square-in. Slant. Four Verts. Wheel. Post & Corner. Double crossers (deep and shallow crossers, normally in opposite directions). We also run a TE stop route that has an option depending on how the defense plays it. We have run this very little this year because of personnel, and because I believe it's not a strength of Rosier's, and it was of Kaaya (and Njoku).

I was re-watching the UGA-ND game the other day to see why their run game is so successful. One wrinkle they have that I haven't seen us use yet that helps create running lanes is ghost end-around motion. Have a slot WR run some jet motion and fake that handoff while handing it off tot he RB up the gut or off tackle. That ghost motion makes the defense hesitate for just a split second but that really helps holes develop more.

I'd also like to see more stretch zone running plays like we ran in 2009 under Whipple. I think Both Homer and Walton would benefit from that type of running scheme. Get the defense moving east and west, let a lane develop, put a foot in the ground and get going north. Off that play we could run some good bootleg and play action passes too.

That's it. That's our playbook for the most part. Not a bad thing, if you execute it there are adjustments to every single defense in this offense and you always have the chance to take what the defense is giving you. It doesn't rely on superhuman talent. It doesn't rely on an elite QB. It doesn't rely on a running QB. It's simply, yet elegant. Like a traditional home that stays valuable throughout time. A lot of buyers want that modern industrial type home, but fail to realize it will be losing value in ten years while the traditional keeps on gaining.

this is important i think. i know a lot of people on here think the offense is too simplistic but also talk all the time about hiring mark helfrich. if you've ever read chip kelly talk about his offense, they practiced and ran a very small number of plays that he was confident his team could execute. there may be window dressing (which we don't really do), but his offense was very simple. i believe he said once that in his final year at oregon they ran four running plays: inside zone, outside zone, counter and draw.

i thought hurricane vision did a great job in the syrcause breakdown pointing out the counters to the defense's adjustments that are built into richt's offense. something that has been true going back to the app st game last year is that when we've been able to execute and run tempo, our offense is very hard to stop, not too different from oregon in that sense. when we don't and can't, we get in trouble.

It's too bad Kyle Wright didn't have an offense like this. He had, what, 4 OCs during his tenure here? And, each one found yet another way to put a square peg in a rounder hole. An important aspect of coaching is self-awareness. I think Richt excels here versus others. He clearly understands what he has, and what he can ask them to do.

this is important i think. i know a lot of people on here think the offense is too simplistic but also talk all the time about hiring mark helfrich. if you've ever read chip kelly talk about his offense, they practiced and ran a very small number of plays that he was confident his team could execute. there may be window dressing (which we don't really do), but his offense was very simple. i believe he said once that in his final year at oregon they ran four running plays: inside zone, outside zone, counter and draw.

i thought hurricane vision did a great job in the syrcause breakdown pointing out the counters to the defense's adjustments that are built into richt's offense. something that has been true going back to the app st game last year is that when we've been able to execute and run tempo, our offense is very hard to stop, not too different from oregon in that sense. when we don't and can't, we get in trouble.

It's too bad Kyle Wright didn't have an offense like this. He had, what, 4 OCs during his tenure here? And, each one found yet another way to put a square peg in a rounder hole. An important aspect of coaching is self-awareness. I think Richt excels here versus others. He clearly understands what he has, and what he can ask them to do.
Great post and responses. Best summarization would be "it is what it is". We all know the talent level jumps in 2018 and matures in 2019. We are what we are and are being coached as such. 3 dueces still beats a pair of aces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Honestly, it's mostly execution. We are limited in a lot of places that a majority of individuals do not grasp.

Our OL is average-to-below. This isn't simply a, "well, our OL is limited" throwaway statement, it's a we cannot do certain things at certain times in a game because the OL cannot be trusted to allow it to happen, type thing. But think about it, we are playing true freshmen a prominent number of snaps. If you show me a team relying on true freshmen on the lines, I'll show you a team that is limited offensively.

The QB is limited. He cannot be asked to move from one read to the next, to the next, to the next. He is being asked to make one or two predetermined reads and then pull the ball down and run. Richt himself has stated this. He is asking Rosier to pull the ball and run. This means if reads one and two are not there, the play is over from a passing standpoint and Rosier has to make a play with his legs. We are trying to protect the ball above all else. Rosier is a good QB because he has cajones, more than any other reason.

We are playing true freshmen at WR. You are asking players to come into an offense that relies on reads to be effective. Again, think about it, we are reading on every play. The WR has to see the same thing as the QB before the snap to get in a potential place to succeed. Then, we are relying on players who have never been in these situations and asking them to make plays against legit NFL talent so that we can win games.

Richt loves to use TE's and a FB in his offense. We have one player at these positions, total. It is so bad that we moved a DE to TE and have actually put him into games for entire series. Predictably, this has been the biggest sore spot for us this year. We've actually used Richards, Langham, Berrios and others as in-line blockers. It's all on film to see. That just absolutely limits your offense. We need another TE who can block and make plays to be more effective in the red zone and in short yardage. Richt's offense relies on edge blocking and down blocking to seal the edges and hold the lines. This will take another year to build up.

Richt loves to use a FB on run/pass option plays- especially in the red zone. That FB needs to be able to run, block, catch, and make plays. We currently do not have a player capable of doing any of those things. A Zach Crockett type would do wonders for this offense.

There are plays there. There are plays every single game. Until we get more consistent on offense, and are actually executing the plays as they are called, we will be inconsistent. I think you start there and work away from it.

Our offense is not complicated. We run four personnel packages, basically. We run four formations out of each personnel packages, roughly. Then, we run four-to-six plays basically on a loop each game.

Few things, of all three units on defense the LB play is the most dissapointing. I'll say it again, this unit needs a full time coach Diaz is spread to thin being DC and LBs coach. McCloud's play is the most puzzling to date. Regrding the Oline, Its clear they are not ready individually to win 1 on 1 battles. That's where coaching plays a vital role. What's the difference between a good carpenter and a great carpenter. The great carpenter knows how to conceal his imperfections.

You make a point every week to point out Diaz needs to dial down his blitzes and make Qbs read coverages and throw into the teeth of a very good coverage unit. Something that will actually increase UM's sack totals because the QB will hold the ball at least 1.5 seconds longer giving our wolves more time to hunt. Richt needs to employ similar strategy with his offense. Instead of asking the Oline to do things they aren't ready to do from either a talent, strength or speed standpint. Employ two TE sets by bringing in an extra OL, employ max pass protection and send two Wrs out. Help the kids out. We know they're limited in some key areas. Ask yourself this, How many top 20 teams would want Jeff Thomas right now despite him being a true freshman. **** near all of them.

This is a young team, some of the team's best player are 1st and 2nd year kids to their credit they're getting the job done. They're not blowing teams out but they are learning how to gut out close wins, which still count as wins. Great Vids I really appreciate the extra effort breaking down the key moment's, and big plays. "It ain't gone be easy."

Advertisement
Not that I could do this kind of breakdown if I wanted to, but Hurricane Vision has far more free time than I do.

I know nothing about you or your schedule, but if you saw my schedule I doubt you'd say this. I have a special needs son with a crazy schedule of therapies, feedings, appointments, and other stuff. Plus I have a two-year old.

It's just something I enjoy, and frankly, has really kind of become a "thing." I actually have players, ex-players, coaches etc. who have reached out to me after these on Twitter. Blows my mind, honestly.

Quite humbling for me.

You deserve any recognition you get these are great. Great research, great vision, and very knowledgeable and straightforward in the explanations. We are far too lucky and not nearly grateful enough to have you.

Not that I could do this kind of breakdown if I wanted to, but Hurricane Vision has far more free time than I do.

Ya, go ahead and discourage the best thing this board has going for it right now

Never again do I want to hear people saying the playbook is bad. It's simple, sure, but my lord guys are running wide open all over the place. if Rosier would occasionally look at a second read and the Oline would block someone we would be hanging all kinds of points on some of these teams

Advertisement
Never again do I want to hear people saying the playbook is bad. It's simple, sure, but my lord guys are running wide open all over the place. if Rosier would occasionally look at a second read and the Oline would block someone we would be hanging all kinds of points on some of these teams

lol

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to do these breakdowns. Definitely my most looked forward to posts every week!

Like everyone else, I love these posts so thanks for doing them.

My takeaway from these is that on both sides of the ball but especially on defense our wounds are largely self-inflicted. If this team executes the plays they're given consistently there isn't a team in the nation that shouldn't be worried. On defense I think it's easiest to see how the guys play sloppy until they get to the redzone, then suddenly everybody is where they need to be and sht gets stopped. If we could get that concentration and effort on the other 80 yds of the field for the whole game...

I know nothing about you or your schedule, but if you saw my schedule I doubt you'd say this. I have a special needs son with a crazy schedule of therapies, feedings, appointments, and other stuff. Plus I have a two-year old.

It's just something I enjoy, and frankly, has really kind of become a "thing." I actually have players, ex-players, coaches etc. who have reached out to me after these on Twitter. Blows my mind, honestly.

Quite humbling for me.

Humbling? That they reach out to you like that should feel like a compliment, nothing humiliating or demeaning about it. This is good stuff.

Advertisement

What an excellent post. Nice to hear your opinion too, rather than just breaking down what you watched. Your breakdowns, and the comments of the others that rewatch the game (even with an untrained eye), are what separates this site from the rest. This season we have had more guys rewatching and commenting that ever before, and I've been on these sites for a long time now.

I've been right at the front of the bus saying the playcalling was lacking but I am starting to change my tune. I still think the scheme lacks creativity - it seems like we are getting outcoached too often, and that has nothing to do with execution. But I am more so realizing that the entire offense is predicated on not turning the ball over. I guess it is hard to add in wrinkles when we can't even execute the foundation concepts.

Dude, I tried to tell you it wasn't the playcalling in the other thread. Glad you're on the humble.

Why after this clear cut explanation and clear proof of lack of manpower/talent do you continue to say we are being outcoached?

Where are we getting outcoached. That's such a bold statement.

If anyone is getting out coached, its Diaz. He does too much when he doesn't have too, often.

Outside of that. In what area are other coaches consistently whipping our coaches?

last ichecked we haven't lost in 12 games and we **** sure don't have 2001 talent.

The issue is, half you guys thinking some of the players are better than they actually are. Theyre not!

Anyone charting the games can see Rosier's bad decision making and the interior O-line getting blown up multiple times a game. Yet when we try to tell you guys that its not playcalling were blind homers gargling on Richts juice.

Come on fellas. Cant criticize what you don't understand.

Advertisement

What an excellent post. Nice to hear your opinion too, rather than just breaking down what you watched. Your breakdowns, and the comments of the others that rewatch the game (even with an untrained eye), are what separates this site from the rest. This season we have had more guys rewatching and commenting that ever before, and I've been on these sites for a long time now.

I've been right at the front of the bus saying the playcalling was lacking but I am starting to change my tune. I still think the scheme lacks creativity - it seems like we are getting outcoached too often, and that has nothing to do with execution. But I am more so realizing that the entire offense is predicated on not turning the ball over. I guess it is hard to add in wrinkles when we can't even execute the foundation concepts.

Richt is old school in his approach. He believes in lining up beating your man and executing.

I look forward to your incredible breakdowns Hurricane vision and appreciate them even more now that I know a little more of your personal life. On a side note I assume you coached at some point in your life and if not how the **** are you not on a staff. Your work is valuable to anyone coaching football. Congrats.

When you say someone is open on a play, it don't really count if the QB primary target is on the opposite side of the field and our OL are letting people through. Also that one play here Redwine followed Perry into the same gap on the blitz infuriated me.

That's why when people are saying oh this guy is fast and talented, players need to know what they are responsible for and be able to understand concepts that way they can recognize adjustments. That's how a all coached less talented team beats you up.

Our offense was outcoached. Mahoney needs to sit on the bench, he is not ready, we need way better interior OL play, it's been nothing short of terrible.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back