Film Review of UNC Game

Advertisement
Not that I could do this kind of breakdown if I wanted to, but Hurricane Vision has far more free time than I do.

Yeah, I honestly don't think you meant this in a bad way. I didn't take it as such. You couldn't have known what another man deals with. You were just making an original attempt to complement the ungodly amount of time HV dedicates to bring these to us.

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] , I was one of the guys that blamed Richts play calling for our struggles on offense. After reading your posts I tend to think it’s more on the QB reads and offensive line. I’m curious to see what your opinion is having broken down each game.

Honestly, it's mostly execution. We are limited in a lot of places that a majority of individuals do not grasp.

Our OL is average-to-below. This isn't simply a, "well, our OL is limited" throwaway statement, it's a we cannot do certain things at certain times in a game because the OL cannot be trusted to allow it to happen, type thing. But think about it, we are playing true freshmen a prominent number of snaps. If you show me a team relying on true freshmen on the lines, I'll show you a team that is limited offensively.

The QB is limited. He cannot be asked to move from one read to the next, to the next, to the next. He is being asked to make one or two predetermined reads and then pull the ball down and run. Richt himself has stated this. He is asking Rosier to pull the ball and run. This means if reads one and two are not there, the play is over from a passing standpoint and Rosier has to make a play with his legs. We are trying to protect the ball above all else. Rosier is a good QB because he has cajones, more than any other reason.

We are playing true freshmen at WR. You are asking players to come into an offense that relies on reads to be effective. Again, think about it, we are reading on every play. The WR has to see the same thing as the QB before the snap to get in a potential place to succeed. Then, we are relying on players who have never been in these situations and asking them to make plays against legit NFL talent so that we can win games.

Richt loves to use TE's and a FB in his offense. We have one player at these positions, total. It is so bad that we moved a DE to TE and have actually put him into games for entire series. Predictably, this has been the biggest sore spot for us this year. We've actually used Richards, Langham, Berrios and others as in-line blockers. It's all on film to see. That just absolutely limits your offense. We need another TE who can block and make plays to be more effective in the red zone and in short yardage. Richt's offense relies on edge blocking and down blocking to seal the edges and hold the lines. This will take another year to build up.

Richt loves to use a FB on run/pass option plays- especially in the red zone. That FB needs to be able to run, block, catch, and make plays. We currently do not have a player capable of doing any of those things. A Zach Crockett type would do wonders for this offense.

I am a nobody. I do not know anything compared to Mark Richt. That said, I would use tempo and motion more to understand the coverage and allow Rosier to have those two predetermined reads before the snap and make the right decision. AS I showed in this film review, tempo allows you to see what the defense is doing and then adjust before each play because the defense has to get set and ready within five seconds, because you could snap the ball. Varying that snap time allows for adjustments against the defense. Tempo also prevents the defense from subbing when you get them in a personnel grouping that's advantageous to what you currently have on the field.

There are plays there. There are plays every single game. Until we get more consistent on offense, and are actually executing the plays as they are called, we will be inconsistent. I think you start there and work away from it.

Our offense is not complicated. We run four personnel packages, basically. We run four formations out of each personnel packages, roughly. Then, we run four-to-six plays basically on a loop each game.

Inside zone out of shotgun. Outside zone out of shotgun. Power out of shotgun (pull a guard, double-team a DT and release to the second level). Read-Option out of shotgun. Bubble screen. Square-in. Slant. Four Verts. Wheel. Post & Corner. Double crossers (deep and shallow crossers, normally in opposite directions). We also run a TE stop route that has an option depending on how the defense plays it. We have run this very little this year because of personnel, and because I believe it's not a strength of Rosier's, and it was of Kaaya (and Njoku).

That's it. That's our playbook for the most part. Not a bad thing, if you execute it there are adjustments to every single defense in this offense and you always have the chance to take what the defense is giving you. It doesn't rely on superhuman talent. It doesn't rely on an elite QB. It doesn't rely on a running QB. It's simply, yet elegant. Like a traditional home that stays valuable throughout time. A lot of buyers want that modern industrial type home, but fail to realize it will be losing value in ten years while the traditional keeps on gaining.

I want to frame this post, gild it in gold, and bludgeon people over the head with it weekly.

Advertisement
1st play was just a clusterphuck. I would've sent Herndon to the 2nd level to block the MLB...used Darling to kick out the playside 9-Tech...block down on the backside 1-Tech with the C instead of pulling em'...pulled the RG instead of having Him chase the 1-Tech...& leave the RT on the backside for any leakage. McDermott's block was correct, but He still got beat. As it was none of that $h!t made sense.

Like everyone else, I love these posts so thanks for doing them.

My takeaway from these is that on both sides of the ball but especially on defense our wounds are largely self-inflicted. If this team executes the plays they're given consistently there isn't a team in the nation that shouldn't be worried. On defense I think it's easiest to see how the guys play sloppy until they get to the redzone, then suddenly everybody is where they need to be and sht gets stopped. If we could get that concentration and effort on the other 80 yds of the field for the whole game...
This is pretty much what the coaches said post game, that and a few players being moved around into somewhat unfamiliar positions or placement. This would be a great week to see all this come together. Be nice go to have the game in hand before the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back