Film Review of UNC Game

Always enjoy the breakdowns and appreciate your work.

If our interior OL doesn't bring their A game we're in trouble. Mahoney needs to sit on the bench. I think we'll be better off next year with Gaynor at C and Gauthier moving back to LG. We need to get stronger and tougher in the trenches.

We bring havoc on D but need our LB's and Redwine to play with better anticipation and form.

Advertisement
Good stuff. I really only looked at the offense in this breakdown.

Gaynor, physically isn't ready. He really shouldn't be playing as a true freshman on the interior. Mahoney, isn't physically ready either. You'd hope that as a redshirt sophomore he wouldn't physically be getting dominated like this. Hopefully big Vaughn is closer to 100% Saturday because Gaynor and Mahoney getting abused inside just kills everything we're trying to do on offense. Whether it's a run or pass, you can't get whooped up the middle.

Rosier's inaccuracy is really frustrating. Especially after seeing stills of potential YAC opportunities had he been able to hit WRs in stride. I truly believe if Perry was able to EE he'd be our starter. It's not like Rosier is making two, three or four reads. He's basically locking on to one WR presnap and chucking it there. Regardless of what the defense does. If he's gonna do that the least he could do is be accurate when that one read is there right away to give our WRs a chance to run after catch.

Not that I could do this kind of breakdown if I wanted to, but Hurricane Vision has far more free time than I do.

I know nothing about you or your schedule, but if you saw my schedule I doubt you'd say this. I have a special needs son with a crazy schedule of therapies, feedings, appointments, and other stuff. Plus I have a two-year old.

It's just something I enjoy, and frankly, has really kind of become a "thing." I actually have players, ex-players, coaches etc. who have reached out to me after these on Twitter. Blows my mind, honestly.

Quite humbling for me.

Wow, kudos to you and your dediction! Are these Miami related players and coaches? Can you share what type of feedback you've gotten?

Not that I could do this kind of breakdown if I wanted to, but Hurricane Vision has far more free time than I do.

I know nothing about you or your schedule, but if you saw my schedule I doubt you'd say this. I have a special needs son with a crazy schedule of therapies, feedings, appointments, and other stuff. Plus I have a two-year old.

It's just something I enjoy, and frankly, has really kind of become a "thing." I actually have players, ex-players, coaches etc. who have reached out to me after these on Twitter. Blows my mind, honestly.

Quite humbling for me.

Wow, kudos to you and your dediction! Are these Miami related players and coaches? Can you share what type of feedback you've gotten?

Yes, but I prefer not to share what has been said out of respect for them. A lot are simply "liking" the posts etc.

Quite humbling for me.

Yes, but I prefer not to share what has been said out of respect for them. A lot are simply "liking" the posts etc.

Well, [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION], I know of a few prominent types who follow and read your analysis. You're being humble, my man, because these aren't the types to waste their time. Quite the opposite. So thank you, again, from us little people who learn so much from these breakdowns.

I encourage so many people on this board to read these threads at the expense of the 50 nonsense threads they spent an equal amount of time p0rsting through. They should be mandatory reading before you are allowed to participate on these boards.

In some cases, they confirm what you are thinking (e.g. interior OL play is limited, poor communication @ DB, etc.) in others, it completely dispels others like Jaquan Johnson is bad safety, or, the 943 offensive coordinators we have on here who think your not threatening all levels of the field if you aren't using motion or screens.

Advertisement

Quite humbling for me.

ever thought of being an offensive coordinator?

Great write up HurricaneVision and please keep them coming.

Did you happen to count how many times our DL was held this game?

I know that holding can be called on every play, but they will keep doing it until they get called for it I guess.

Thanks again...

Well, [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION], I know of a few prominent types who follow and read your analysis. You're being humble, my man, because these aren't the types to waste their time. Quite the opposite. So thank you, again, from us little people who learn so much from these breakdowns.

I encourage so many people on this board to read these threads at the expense of the 50 nonsense threads they spent an equal amount of time p0rsting through. They should be mandatory reading before you are allowed to participate on these boards.

In some cases, they confirm what you are thinking (e.g. interior OL play is limited, poor communication @ DB, etc.) in others, it completely dispels others like Jaquan Johnson is bad safety, or, the 943 offensive coordinators we have on here who think your not threatening all levels of the field if you aren't using motion or screens.
This is a big one. The narrative, and it's one that I believe, used to be that 95% of our passing combinations were all verts. Then you see stills and realize we do we run crossing routes and deep ins. Unfortunately we miss those a lot.

Quite humbling for me.
I’m grateful for the time you take. Many others who don’t say it would also offer their gratitude.

When the people who really know are giving you kudos, that’s what really matters.

Advertisement
I look forward to Op's threads weekly , I really appreciate the time you take sir.

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] , I was one of the guys that blamed Richts play calling for our struggles on offense. After reading your posts I tend to think it’s more on the QB reads and offensive line. I’m curious to see what your opinion is having broken down each game.

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] , I was one of the guys that blamed Richts play calling for our struggles on offense. After reading your posts I tend to think it’s more on the QB reads and offensive line. I’m curious to see what your opinion is having broken down each game.

Honestly, it's mostly execution. We are limited in a lot of places that a majority of individuals do not grasp.

Our OL is average-to-below. This isn't simply a, "well, our OL is limited" throwaway statement, it's a we cannot do certain things at certain times in a game because the OL cannot be trusted to allow it to happen, type thing. But think about it, we are playing true freshmen a prominent number of snaps. If you show me a team relying on true freshmen on the lines, I'll show you a team that is limited offensively.

The QB is limited. He cannot be asked to move from one read to the next, to the next, to the next. He is being asked to make one or two predetermined reads and then pull the ball down and run. Richt himself has stated this. He is asking Rosier to pull the ball and run. This means if reads one and two are not there, the play is over from a passing standpoint and Rosier has to make a play with his legs. We are trying to protect the ball above all else. Rosier is a good QB because he has cajones, more than any other reason.

We are playing true freshmen at WR. You are asking players to come into an offense that relies on reads to be effective. Again, think about it, we are reading on every play. The WR has to see the same thing as the QB before the snap to get in a potential place to succeed. Then, we are relying on players who have never been in these situations and asking them to make plays against legit NFL talent so that we can win games.

Richt loves to use TE's and a FB in his offense. We have one player at these positions, total. It is so bad that we moved a DE to TE and have actually put him into games for entire series. Predictably, this has been the biggest sore spot for us this year. We've actually used Richards, Langham, Berrios and others as in-line blockers. It's all on film to see. That just absolutely limits your offense. We need another TE who can block and make plays to be more effective in the red zone and in short yardage. Richt's offense relies on edge blocking and down blocking to seal the edges and hold the lines. This will take another year to build up.

Richt loves to use a FB on run/pass option plays- especially in the red zone. That FB needs to be able to run, block, catch, and make plays. We currently do not have a player capable of doing any of those things. A Zach Crockett type would do wonders for this offense.

I am a nobody. I do not know anything compared to Mark Richt. That said, I would use tempo and motion more to understand the coverage and allow Rosier to have those two predetermined reads before the snap and make the right decision. AS I showed in this film review, tempo allows you to see what the defense is doing and then adjust before each play because the defense has to get set and ready within five seconds, because you could snap the ball. Varying that snap time allows for adjustments against the defense. Tempo also prevents the defense from subbing when you get them in a personnel grouping that's advantageous to what you currently have on the field.

There are plays there. There are plays every single game. Until we get more consistent on offense, and are actually executing the plays as they are called, we will be inconsistent. I think you start there and work away from it.

Our offense is not complicated. We run four personnel packages, basically. We run four formations out of each personnel packages, roughly. Then, we run four-to-six plays basically on a loop each game.

Inside zone out of shotgun. Outside zone out of shotgun. Power out of shotgun (pull a guard, double-team a DT and release to the second level). Read-Option out of shotgun. Bubble screen. Square-in. Slant. Four Verts. Wheel. Post & Corner. Double crossers (deep and shallow crossers, normally in opposite directions). We also run a TE stop route that has an option depending on how the defense plays it. We have run this very little this year because of personnel, and because I believe it's not a strength of Rosier's, and it was of Kaaya (and Njoku).

That's it. That's our playbook for the most part. Not a bad thing, if you execute it there are adjustments to every single defense in this offense and you always have the chance to take what the defense is giving you. It doesn't rely on superhuman talent. It doesn't rely on an elite QB. It doesn't rely on a running QB. It's simply, yet elegant. Like a traditional home that stays valuable throughout time. A lot of buyers want that modern industrial type home, but fail to realize it will be losing value in ten years while the traditional keeps on gaining.

Gaynor, physically isn't ready. He really shouldn't be playing as a true freshman on the interior. Mahoney, isn't physically ready either. You'd hope that as a redshirt sophomore he wouldn't physically be getting dominated like this. Hopefully big Vaughn is closer to 100% Saturday because Gaynor and Mahoney getting abused inside just kills everything we're trying to do on offense. Whether it's a run or pass, you can't get whooped up the middle.

It seems like our OL struggles began right when Donaldson went out. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Advertisement
I had Mahoney being directly responsible for 5 bad runs and 2 pressures. And he only played 35 snaps. He was serviceable against Syracuse but my goodness that was bad. Hopefully Donaldson can stick at RG because it has been a huge issue since he got hurt.

Gauthier needs to get a lot better with blitz/stunt pick up too. He's locking onto DL and not staying aware of what is going on. UNC got way too much pressure (and some sacks) on some bad stunts.

WR/RB blocking sucked too. Effort one some of those was sad. And still too many drops.

Rosier had 3 bad throws that resulted in drops and a few others that should have gotten some serious YAC but got 0 because WRs were contorting themselves to even catch the ball.

Just a garbage game of offense.

appreciate it as always [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

looking at VT's advanced stats, our defense matches up well. they haven't run the ball well this year, and haven't been explosive in the run game at all https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-virginia-tech-advanced-statistical-profile

their passing has been better but also will be a true freshman QB on the road. i really respect fuente as a coach and he will definitely test our ability to stay on assignment. but the defense have been well prepared all season after the minor debacle against toledo and manny has especially seemed capable of cleaning up specific issues on a week to week basis. so i feel okay about that side of the ball.

tech's defense has been playing really well though, they've given up 20 total points in the last 3 games. feels like we haven't been able to run the ball in a big game in years and if malik is 2nd and 3rd and long all game we're gonna have a hard time moving the ball consistently.

I certainly appreciate all of these...really goes well above my pay grade on what you see or hear live. Kudos to you.

Advertisement

their passing has been better but also will be a true freshman QB on the road.

Thanks for the kind words. One thing I'd point out, as I've seen it a few times now, Josh Jackson is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. He also enrolled early his freshman year, so he's been at Virginia Tech for almost two full years now.

That's a huge difference from someone like, N'Kosi Perry, etc.

It barely caused a ripple in the recruiting world when Josh Jackson enrolled at Virginia Tech in January 2016

their passing has been better but also will be a true freshman QB on the road.

Thanks for the kind words. One thing I'd point out, as I've seen it a few times now, Josh Jackson is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. He also enrolled early his freshman year, so he's been at Virginia Tech for almost two full years now.

That's a huge difference from someone like, N'Kosi Perry, etc.

It barely caused a ripple in the recruiting world when Josh Jackson enrolled at Virginia Tech in January 2016

ah yeah i had not looked this up myself.

Honestly, it's mostly execution. We are limited in a lot of places that a majority of individuals do not grasp.

Our OL is average-to-below. This isn't simply a, "well, our OL is limited" throwaway statement, it's a we cannot do certain things at certain times in a game because the OL cannot be trusted to allow it to happen, type thing. But think about it, we are playing true freshmen a prominent number of snaps. If you show me a team relying on true freshmen on the lines, I'll show you a team that is limited offensively.

The QB is limited. He cannot be asked to move from one read to the next, to the next, to the next. He is being asked to make one or two predetermined reads and then pull the ball down and run. Richt himself has stated this. He is asking Rosier to pull the ball and run. This means if reads one and two are not there, the play is over from a passing standpoint and Rosier has to make a play with his legs. We are trying to protect the ball above all else. Rosier is a good QB because he has cajones, more than any other reason.

We are playing true freshmen at WR. You are asking players to come into an offense that relies on reads to be effective. Again, think about it, we are reading on every play. The WR has to see the same thing as the QB before the snap to get in a potential place to succeed. Then, we are relying on players who have never been in these situations and asking them to make plays against legit NFL talent so that we can win games.

Richt loves to use TE's and a FB in his offense. We have one player at these positions, total. It is so bad that we moved a DE to TE and have actually put him into games for entire series. Predictably, this has been the biggest sore spot for us this year. We've actually used Richards, Langham, Berrios and others as in-line blockers. It's all on film to see. That just absolutely limits your offense. We need another TE who can block and make plays to be more effective in the red zone and in short yardage. Richt's offense relies on edge blocking and down blocking to seal the edges and hold the lines. This will take another year to build up.

Richt loves to use a FB on run/pass option plays- especially in the red zone. That FB needs to be able to run, block, catch, and make plays. We currently do not have a player capable of doing any of those things. A Zach Crockett type would do wonders for this offense.

I am a nobody. I do not know anything compared to Mark Richt. That said, I would use tempo and motion more to understand the coverage and allow Rosier to have those two predetermined reads before the snap and make the right decision. AS I showed in this film review, tempo allows you to see what the defense is doing and then adjust before each play because the defense has to get set and ready within five seconds, because you could snap the ball. Varying that snap time allows for adjustments against the defense. Tempo also prevents the defense from subbing when you get them in a personnel grouping that's advantageous to what you currently have on the field.

There are plays there. There are plays every single game. Until we get more consistent on offense, and are actually executing the plays as they are called, we will be inconsistent. I think you start there and work away from it.

Our offense is not complicated. We run four personnel packages, basically. We run four formations out of each personnel packages, roughly. Then, we run four-to-six plays basically on a loop each game.

Inside zone out of shotgun. Outside zone out of shotgun. Power out of shotgun (pull a guard, double-team a DT and release to the second level). Read-Option out of shotgun. Bubble screen. Square-in. Slant. Four Verts. Wheel. Post & Corner. Double crossers (deep and shallow crossers, normally in opposite directions). We also run a TE stop route that has an option depending on how the defense plays it. We have run this very little this year because of personnel, and because I believe it's not a strength of Rosier's, and it was of Kaaya (and Njoku).

That's it. That's our playbook for the most part. Not a bad thing, if you execute it there are adjustments to every single defense in this offense and you always have the chance to take what the defense is giving you. It doesn't rely on superhuman talent. It doesn't rely on an elite QB. It doesn't rely on a running QB. It's simply, yet elegant. Like a traditional home that stays valuable throughout time. A lot of buyers want that modern industrial type home, but fail to realize it will be losing value in ten years while the traditional keeps on gaining.

What an excellent post. Nice to hear your opinion too, rather than just breaking down what you watched. Your breakdowns, and the comments of the others that rewatch the game (even with an untrained eye), are what separates this site from the rest. This season we have had more guys rewatching and commenting that ever before, and I've been on these sites for a long time now.

I've been right at the front of the bus saying the playcalling was lacking but I am starting to change my tune. I still think the scheme lacks creativity - it seems like we are getting outcoached too often, and that has nothing to do with execution. But I am more so realizing that the entire offense is predicated on not turning the ball over. I guess it is hard to add in wrinkles when we can't even execute the foundation concepts.

Last edited:

this is important i think. i know a lot of people on here think the offense is too simplistic but also talk all the time about hiring mark helfrich. if you've ever read chip kelly talk about his offense, they practiced and ran a very small number of plays that he was confident his team could execute. there may be window dressing (which we don't really do), but his offense was very simple. i believe he said once that in his final year at oregon they ran four running plays: inside zone, outside zone, counter and draw.

i thought hurricane vision did a great job in the syrcause breakdown pointing out the counters to the defense's adjustments that are built into richt's offense. something that has been true going back to the app st game last year is that when we've been able to execute and run tempo, our offense is very hard to stop, not too different from oregon in that sense. when we don't and can't, we get in trouble.

Advertisement
Back