Feels different this cycle

Advertisement
Let's say we land this class, would you be happy and what #grade would you give it? I would say a 90, A-. This is just DISCUSSION, so no need to blow any gaskets.
Thats a solid class. i dont think people would be disappointed in that one

Advertisement
Think about the caliber of kids that we are going after. JWill committed in mid July last year. LT in August. If you are an upper level recruit, you pick your school instead of trying to secure your spot first and then figuring out which school gives you the best shot to make it to the next level. Add in that most of these kids have no clue due to a lack of visits and we find ourselves in this situation.

is perfectly reasonable to expect some action after OV weekends and big marketing pushes, and super frustrating to hear that kids strongly considers pulling the trigger to come home and wait instead. But these kids are evaluating their futures and have not seen these places in person.

The vibe and comments coming out of Coral Gables is what we want. These chips will start to fall and they will beget other commitments as the pressure to fill a spot/position becomes real (to these higher caliber athletes). I too am frustrated and would love to see a top 10 class in hand at the moment, but having no control over this, I am sitting back to watch the outcome.

Like someone else said, either Manny pulls it off or he doesn’t. I truly believe that even the Manny haters would love nothing more than him bringing us a 7th Natty. And if he is not competent enough to get a solid class, he will be out and the next guy will have the weight of the world on him. Let the process play out and keep hitting refresh!

Al had 3 Top 15 classes and then he mailed it in in 2015. His #1 problem was not recruiting, even though he was not "good" at it.
My big problem with Al’s recruiting was that his classes were always had non qualifiers that boosted his recruiting ranking every year. You just can’t have that many 4 star guys that never play a single snap. He did hit on some quality players but his overall rankings were usually artificially inflated.

Advertisement
My big problem with Al’s recruiting was that his classes were always had non qualifiers that boosted his recruiting ranking every year. You just can’t have that many 4 star guys that never play a single snap. He did hit on some quality players but his overall rankings were usually artificially inflated.
I agree, and what talent he did get he didn't know how to coach. Manny is trying to not do that, he brought in some good guys around him to hopefully right the ship. So let's sign Top 12ish class and see what he can do. If he loses 4 games this year IMO it should be curtains for him depending on how they are lost.

Yea but the slurpers said they never boost our rankings up. 😲

I agree, and what talent he did get he didn't know how to coach. Manny is trying to not do that, he brought in some good guys around him to hopefully right the ship. So let's sign Top 12ish class and see what he can do. If he loses 4 games this year IMO it should be curtains for him depending on how they are lost.
See I 100 agree with you but at the same time it would be a waste to fire him. Only giving Ish and TRob one year to bring in another bozo? A bozo that will fire TRob and Ish? I just don't know if that's a smart move right now no matter how the season goes.

See I 100 agree with you but at the same time it would be a waste to fire him. Only giving Ish and TRob one year to bring in another bozo? A bozo that will fire TRob and Ish? I just don't know if that's a smart move right now no matter how the season goes.
Man as I typed that I was thinking that. All I could think was IF we hire the right guy he will know he needs them and keep them. That's my hope anyhow, because if Manny is not it, then we are screwed even with them, he makes the final calls. But fair point and was on my mind as I typed that.

Advertisement
Man as I typed that I was thinking that. All I could think was IF we hire the right guy he will know he needs them and keep them. That's my hope anyhow, because if Manny is not it, then we are screwed even with them, he makes the final calls. But fair point and was on my mind as I typed that.
I'm on the same ship with u but who is to say we hire the right guy afterwards? I mean we are the U our hiring committee is garbage.

I'm on the same ship with u but who is to say we hire the right guy afterwards? I mean we are the U our hiring committee is garbage.
For sure, but until we hire "him" who he has helping him won't get us where we need to be IMO, the ship follows the captain. Maybe Manny is "him"..... let's see.

For sure, but until we hire "him" who he has helping him won't get us where we need to be IMO, the ship follows the captain. maybe Manny is "him", let's see.
I do like that Manny is adapting on the recruiting front and staff front. My one gripe right now is....will he change the scheme on D or tweak it when it gets torched regularly. The ego to let it go would be a huge step IMO

Advertisement
You are way too hard on "commit". A "commit" in college football recruiting means as much as "I like you now" unless its publicly shut down. A commit can change and it has already.

And, okay, if you say how much of a bad class is, here is a reality check: It doesnt matter because its June. It literally does not matter one bit. Rutgers has a tremendous class right now. Clemson has a **** class and Alabama is currently underperforming in their class. Wisconsin is doing worse than we are, so their class must be absolutely awful. Happy?

My logic is that there is no point in getting upset or worried about recruiting right now just because it isnt like in the years past where we had players committed, only for them to bounce and us scrambling to get replacements. The communication that our coaches have with the recruited players has been well documented for quite some time and none of the recruiting experts in here who have actual insight appear to be worried, scared, frightened or angry. If thats the "Ed Reed is a 2 star"-logic to you, okay then.

Or, as Cribby himself said it about a week ago: Its better to stay silent sometimes.

But if you wanna get upset over unpicked apples, go for it. Oh boy, we only got two commits right now, our future is so screwed...
No one is getting upset. That is a strawman argument. I've been called a sunshine pumper many times before. In this case, I'm just reacting to what seems to be irrational positivity.

Say what you want about it being early, but the schools that have repeatedly beat us on the field for the past 15+ years are all recruiting better than we are right now. That's just a fact. It's early and maybe Manny is playing chess while those programs are all playing checkers.

It seems like we've laid the groundwork for some potentially good things - but those good things haven't materialized yet. Maybe they will. It seems silly to me to celebrate how great our recruiting is when we only have 2 commits.

Yea but the slurpers said they never boost our rankings up. 😲
Honestly, the inflated rankings gave the fanbase the idea that the team was much more talented than they actually were. Yeah, we signed a bunch of good classes but so many guys either didn’t enroll or transferred without playing much. If you remove those guys, the class ranking is significantly lower.

Honestly, the inflated rankings gave the fanbase the idea that the team was much more talented than they actually were. Yeah, we signed a bunch of good classes but so many guys either didn’t enroll or transferred without playing much. If you remove those guys, the class ranking is significantly lower.
Yea I always said those classes were bad and everyone blamed development. U can't develop scrubs but the evals were on the coaches.

No one is getting upset. That is a strawman argument. I've been called a sunshine pumper many times before. In this case, I'm just reacting to what seems to be irrational positivity.

Say what you want about it being early, but the schools that have repeatedly beat us on the field for the past 15+ years are all recruiting better than we are right now. That's just a fact. It's early and maybe Manny is playing chess while those programs are all playing checkers.

It seems like we've laid the groundwork for some potentially good things - but those good things haven't materialized yet. Maybe they will. It seems silly to me to celebrate how great our recruiting is when we only have 2 commits.
All very good points, but in the same that no one should be celebrating our recruiting success just yet we also should not be doom and gloom and sounding the alarms just yet, either.

Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes, and I like it better that way. Don't advertise intentions, just get it done. And I'm so glad were not in our usual position of having a class with a ton of placeholder commits who in time will deco and leave us hanging.

Stay even-keeled through Paradise Camp. If nothing substantial pops coming out of Paradise, then sound the alarms. But until then, let's trust that the staff is quietly putting in work.

Advertisement
Back