Feds slowly chipping away at College Bribery and Fraud.

Advertisement
The real tragedy here is that if they were basketball or football players they would be removed from the school. They wouldn’t be able to continue their education.

I’m betting that none of these kids are kicked out of school.
Great ******* point

The guy from the article who said this is so funny that he deserves a Netflix comedy special.

“They chose to corrupt and illegally manipulate the system,’’ Lelling said of the parents. “There can be no separate college admissions system for the wealthy.

Lelling is engaging in intellectually dishonest grandstanding because he's politically ambitious and sees an opportunity to be perceived as some sort of egalitarian, class warfare hero. This is the same clown who started including the (unlawful) immigration status of individual defendants in his office's press releases, regardless of what they were actually being prosecuted for. The guy has his eyes on something bigger.

WTF? since when does government get to tell private instiutions how to decide who to admit? If fraud was conducted, that’s a different issue. But colleges are free to admit wealthy people, poor people ... whoever.

Affirmative Action.

Advertisement
That is the point I was making. The billionaires and high ups in the schools have the means to get these kids in without actually getting into any legal trouble.

These upper middle class people are trying to move in on their racket and are trying to get kids in on the "cheap". If these families were willing to pay the "full price" and donate a building directly to the school they would be in the clear.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

For our interest in the Feds nailing the Bag Game, a bigger scandal, to me anyway, is football factory programs running off ‘student athletes’ failing to develop into stars in order to open up a scholarship.

Advertisement
Remember Kelley Williams-Bolar? She was convicted of using the wrong residence to get her daughters into a better school district in Ohio than underperforming Akron. She was sentenced to 3 years & ordered to pay $30,000 to the school district. The governor granted clemency but she did serve some time. For ‘tampering with goverment documents’, I recall.

I wonder what sentence these parental icons will incur?

Disclaimer: comments plagiarized from someone else’s tweet.

Last edited:
No they aren't. They're cracking down on puppets. Puppets are easily replaced. Honestly I really doubt they ever try to touch the real people behind this stuff. Some closets simply ain't worth digging into.

Remember Kelley Williams-Bolar? She was was convicted of using the wrong residence to get her daughters into a better school district in Ohio than underperforming Akron. She was sentenced to 3 years & ordered to pay $30,000 to the school district. The governor granted clemency but she did serve some time. For ‘tampering with goverment documents’, I recall.

I wonder what sentence these parental icons will incur?

Disclaimer: comments plagiarized from someone else’s tweet.

Federal Racketeering is Up to 20 years for each count. Also the feds dont have concurrent sentencing

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here’s my two cents on this issue as someone who’s had a couple of wealthy parents ask me directly if I could take their kids ACT, and as someone who’s been in the room for meetings with admissions officers at a top HS.

This “investigation” targets purely upper middle class families who’s kids couldn’t cut it academically to get into the school of daddy’s choice. IE The parents willing to spend 1-500k to get their kids into college. The parents willing to spend 2million+ won’t be touched because as discussed above they’re willing to pay enough to do it legally.

Although I love UM and have my signed Hester jersey from when I was 6 framed in my dorm, at the end of the day after getting cut off at 18 I chose UM for the money. Although I was accepted to UVA, UNC, Emory etc, I’ve been a UM fan since birth and they came through (I pay about 5k/ year for a 70k$ education). Parents at my HS saw this (our ACT scores were posted in the alumni letter) and I got multiple offers to get their kid my score so they could go to HPY with their parents legacy carrying them. Offers typically came in semesters of tuition covered and “rec letters” to ivy’s. “Rec letters” typically meant calling up x booster from their social club (Ivy’s version of frats) and pretty much made you a lock for whatever school it was. Although I never took the offer mostly out of spite for the thought of some rich kid going to HPY on my intelligence, this is a very common thing that many of my friends who needed the money have done, and I’ll tell you it’s a pretty **** easy thing to do. Not many subs who administer the test give a shít who you are and once you take the test enough it’s just a matter of intentionally getting enough answers wrong for it to be believeable (can’t get a kid who got a 26 a 36).

Here’s the part that sucks the most. It’s NEVER going to be a level playing field. UM gave my HS a admissions rep that only covered the top 5-6 S florida private HS (heritage,Andrews, pinecrest, NBP, etc). And laid out for us explicitly what correlative ACT:GPA unlocked what scholarship dollars. We were being given scholarships for meeting the lowest criteria on UM’s published admission stats Bc of the HS we went to, and as the kid who rode his bike to school sitting next to kids driving GT3’s, I was the only one phased by this. Meanwhile, my friend who attended monarch was told if he wanted to go to UM he’d have to be at the top of that band, just to get in with no money. My point is this: you can have all the “crackdowns” and investigations you want, but this won’t change the game in the slightest. If you think the bag game is bad for football, try telling the person on deck for the Supreme Court their kid can’t go to Yale. (No, that’s not a figure of speech)

Disclaimer for the grammar police, I’m sitting on my couch on spring break, if you want 5k words with present participles matching the underlying thematic dimensions of the work, get off an online forum
Great post, except for the saying the upper middle class has 500k to give to get their kid into a school. I know, semantics but still...

At the end of the day, this headline encapsulates the entire fiasco:

?s=12

lol at this little nugget:

The toker, who sports a ponytail and raps under the name “Billa,” then shamelessly plugged his music. “Check out my CD, ‘Cheese and Crackers,’ ” he said of his 2018 five-track record that includes a song titled “If I Lost My Money.”

Great post, except for the saying the upper middle class has 500k to give to get their kid into a school. I know, semantics but still...

Doctors, lawyers, comptrollers etc in S florida pay 20-30k a year for HS, 200$/week for tutoring, then on top of all that pay for private college admissions consultants and all their kids activities. That’s all before we get into donations or college itself. Quarter mil is probably more realistic on average, but a half isn’t much of a stretch.

Doctors, lawyers, comptrollers etc in S florida pay 20-30k a year for HS, 200$/week for tutoring, then on top of all that pay for private college admissions consultants and all their kids activities. That’s all before we get into donations or college itself. Quarter mil is probably more realistic on average, but a half isn’t much of a stretch.
Once again semantics, maybe you meant middle of the road upper class. Only a small sliver of upper middle class people people touch a quarter million a year let alone have it to give away to get their kid into a school. If you have a half a ticket to just throw around to get your kid into a school, before you even pay for school, you are rich. Now there are levels to being rich, but you are rich. 1% income is what, just below 450k a year this cycle?

Advertisement
Back