Feds slowly chipping away at College Bribery and Fraud.

I had to. I just couldn’t help it. LOL. But you deserved it anyway … dropping the politics in there.
I knew you would, but it had nothing to do with politics. My point was that Harvard's "standards" can be flexible for various reasons, like virtue signaling. This kid wasn't good enough for any of the others, but Harvard? Did they lower their standards? Well, except for Asians.

Its about everyone being treated fairly, by the same criteria. All anybody wants is a fair chance.

Advertisement
Stop it. Nobody actually believes in fairness. And the conundrum is between wanting a fair chance and giving others a fair chance. Everyone believes in what’s in it for me and finding an argument to justify it.

But, you’re right, Harvard can use any criteria it wants and it will still have exceptional students. What it wants is a “well-rounded”class and I have no problem with that.
If nobody believes in fairness, then why do we keep trying to legislate it into existence? It's a goal we'll always be chasing because some group will always try to get an advantage.

Oh, and people will justify and rationalize all manner of actions in pursuit if their goals. The problem comes when they try to do that through policy.

Advertisement
Real talk: how is this different from making a huge donation to a school? (Well, aside from the bribery, etc …)

You are 100% correct. There really is no difference, but the reason they are coming down on them is because they cut out the school making the profit.

When a billionaire drops 30-40 million on buildings for a school over the years and then gets their son accepted. That is one thing. Its between Billionaires and the school. You will never see Frost getting in trouble for his grandaughter getting preferential treatment regarding admissions.

When B list celebs worth 10-20 mill drop 50-100k to some middle man(and the school sees no profit) that is when it gets busted because it is between millionaires, non revenue sports coaches, and some other semi high level people related to the school.

The quick answer is … it is important.

But for me, I don’t care. However, I also don’t care about “bags” for athletes and have no problem at all with student-athletes flagrantly selling themselves to the school that will do the most to get them.

This … is just the reverse.

But would you care if it was your child got pushed out because someone else cheated to get that spot? That's why it's important to send a message to these people. That's just my opinion..

WTF? since when does government get to tell private instiutions how to decide who to admit? If fraud was conducted, that’s a different issue. But colleges are free to admit wealthy people, poor people ... whoever.

Are they really private if they except any tax dollars?

Advertisement
I had to. I just couldn’t help it. LOL. But you deserved it anyway … dropping the politics in there.

Quick story: an old classmate of mine was rich. His dad, who was worth conservatively 150M 30 years ago, had “pioneered” an area of law in a certain region of the country. So convinced he was of his privilege (having recommendations from a sitting SCOTUS Chief Justice in addition to the biggest entertainer of the day will do that for you) that his law school applications totaled 4 schools, iirc: Harvard, Yale … Georgetown was his safety. He had good scores, he had great grades, but I guess they felt he had too much privilege; that he wasn’t THAT exceptional. He wasn’t accepted. The real ELITES can be that choosy.

His dad pulled him from school in the late spring - he never came back - and he began law school at a very good regional school that fall without ever applying.

The “value” provided by these universities is more extreme than ever, a point hammered home multiple times by @OriginalGatorHater over the last few months. The result for today’s graduates is high-paying career path or demand economy also known as the servant economy: Uber, etc.

How Boomers broke America

“The meritocratic class has mastered the old trick of consolidating wealth and passing privilege along at the expense of other people’s children.”

Letters from important people don’t move the needle. $$$$ does. That’s where your friend’s father fxcked up.

WTF? since when does government get to tell private instiutions how to decide who to admit? If fraud was conducted, that’s a different issue. But colleges are free to admit wealthy people, poor people ... whoever.

the private institutions still receive federal funding and some big names would collapse without that money. the ivy league would be fine, but schools like usc (and um) would be destroyed. same reason why everyone went nuts enforcing title ix to the point of absurdity after the obama admin's "dear colleague" memo went out. that cash is important.

Advertisement
You are 100% correct. There really is no difference, but the reason they are coming down on them is because they cut out the school making the profit.

When a billionaire drops 30-40 million on buildings for a school over the years and then gets their son accepted. That is one thing. It's between Billionaires and the school. You will never see Frost getting in trouble for his granddaughter getting preferential treatment regarding admissions.

When B list celebs worth 10-20 mill drop 50-100k to some middle man(and the school sees no profit) that is when it gets busted because it is between millionaires, non revenue sports coaches, and some other semi high level people related to the school.

Not quite.

In this scandal academics and athletic achievements were falsified. Fraudulent SAT test scores were submitted. Bribes were paid to admissions staff and coaches to accept these records . A fake non-profit was created to provide illegal tax deductions. All of these are activities are serious crime.

There is nothing illegal about a university accepting a student as a legacy, or if the family is a wealthy donor.

Private institutions receive federal tax dollars for any number of initiatives. The federal government can place any number of contingencies to receive these funds. Title IX compliance, for example.

Advertisement
One of the convicted gave $400,000 over 8 years ($50,000 per year) to the University, and their child was NOT accepted to the school. That was their motivation to do what they did.

God forbid they just don't use that money for tutors. The kid must have been extremely handicapped mentally

Not quite.

In this scandal academics and athletic achievements were falsified. Fraudulent SAT test scores were submitted. Bribes were paid to admissions staff and coaches to accept these records . A fake non-profit was created to provide illegal tax deductions. All of these are activities are serious crime.

There is nothing illegal about a university accepting a student as a legacy, or if the family is a wealthy donor.

That is the point I was making. The billionaires and high ups in the schools have the means to get these kids in without actually getting into any legal trouble.

These upper middle class people are trying to move in on their racket and are trying to get kids in on the "cheap". If these families were willing to pay the "full price" and donate a building directly to the school they would be in the clear.

Private institutions receive federal tax dollars for any number of initiatives. The federal government can place any number of contingencies to receive these funds. Title IX compliance, for example.
They pull the same thing with healthcare via CMS. They fined a bunch of hospitals for implanting defibrillators in patients for cases that didn't have FDA approval. Problem is the sample size is so small they can't do a study to approve it. Needless to say, they got sued and no more fines.

Yet in a twist of irony they can't deprive funds from a state that refuses to comply with federal law.

Advertisement
Back