Fall Scrimmage number 1 info

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario appears like a str8 shooter v. a salesman. The msg has been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s being disingenuous or trying to temper expectations vs. being str8 fwd w/ us.

A lot of objective fans have said 8-9 wins yr 1. I’m sticking w/ 8 wins Reg season & a post season win yr 1. @Hurricane Warrior just bumped his threads in the “Recruiting” forum, reminding us of the shear attrition we’ve had from these past classes who were supposed to either pass the torch or be in a position to lead. Couple that w/ the combination of guys who just didn’t/haven’t panned out, & what we have is an inconsistent roster. We’re strong in some areas, serviceable in others, & yyyyyyyyyikes at others.

W/ that type of roster + a deplorable culture that’s been ingrained w/in the program for the past 7 yrs?? Whether fans realize it or not, but this is a semi-rebuild.
Id say anyone that really takes the green and orange shades off and look at our situation would feel how mario feels lol.

Nothing makes me cringe more than people calling our schedule weak lol like what have we done in the acc to separate us from the so called weak teams? Like we’ve been having close games with all of these teams for years that should tell people there isn’t a gap and we could possibly lose any game besides the obvious.

They think u just get a staff and more resources and all the **** stains go away from the program in 6 months lol but we’ve been bad for so long our fanbase doesn’t understand what it took for us to have those glory days

Id say anyone that really takes the green and orange shades off and look at our situation would feel how mario feels lol.

Nothing makes me cringe more than people calling our schedule weak lol like what have we done in the acc to separate us from the so called weak teams? Like we’ve been having close games with all of these teams for years that should tell people there isn’t a gap and we could possibly lose any game besides the obvious.

They think u just get a staff and more resources and all the **** stains go away from the program in 6 months lol but we’ve been bad for so long our fanbase doesn’t understand what it took for us to have those glory days

I guess they think if u buy a dented up Benz, all u need to do is get a detail job on it. Lol. I’m looking fwd to the season, I look fwd to seeing a better team, but a better team is much more than W & L’s.

I rewatched the 2016 season again, & it was clear that team was better than the 2015 team, & they were actually fun to watch, however we still had holes, & some growing pains. Overall, it was a much better team despite the 4 losses, 2 of them being of the WTF variety.

Also, just saw that Miami of Ohio have more bowl victories than The U in last 15 yrs. Smh.

Advertisement
Mario appears like a str8 shooter v. a salesman. The msg has been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s being disingenuous or trying to temper expectations vs. being str8 fwd w/ us.

A lot of objective fans have said 8-9 wins yr 1. I’m sticking w/ 8 wins Reg season & a post season win yr 1. @Hurricane Warrior just bumped his threads in the “Recruiting” forum, reminding us of the shear attrition we’ve had from these past classes who were supposed to either pass the torch or be in a position to lead. Couple that w/ the combination of guys who just didn’t/haven’t panned out, & what we have is an inconsistent roster. We’re strong in some areas, serviceable in others, & yyyyyyyyyikes at others.

W/ that type of roster + a deplorable culture that’s been ingrained w/in the program for the past 7 yrs?? Whether fans realize it or not, but this is a semi-rebuild.
I certainly respect your opinion on this and I'm not going to disagree but let me play devil's advocate.

You mention attrition from past classes and that is a fact but there have also been plenty of additions via the portal. In regards to this issue I'm going to pose a question. Is this years team/rooster better than last year's team/rooster at the same point in time? To me the answer would be a definite yes. Let's go unit by unit.

QB. We are better at QB simply because they have had another year of experience, Garcia is healthy and another reason I'll come back to later and that's coaching.

RB. We are better here because Knighton has had a year of experience, Chaney is healthy, Franklin has had a year to adjust plus we added a dynamic transfer in Henry Parrish and true freshman phenom Travonte Citizen.

TE. Again we are better because of the addition of elite freshman Skinner plus Arroyo has a year under his belt, Mallory returns and versatility and depth with Brantley and Mammereli.

OL The OL should be significantly better because we return Nelson, Rivers, Clark, Scaife, Campbell, Traore, Washington, McLaughlin, Seymore etc. This isn't necessarily an elite group but we should have a very solid to very good starting 5 and some key depth. In addition to returning the bulk of the unit, we have added some depth and a potential starter at Guard in Dennis and Logan S. The fact that this group is coached by Mirabal/Cristobal, the best OL coaches in the nation will be obvious in the fall.

WR. This is an interesting group. We lost our top 2 playmakers in Rambo and Harley yet a unit that includes Keyshawn Smith, Romello Brinson, Jacolby George, Brashard Smith, Xavier Restrepo, Frank Ladson, Michael Redding, Isaiah Horton and Colby Young is hardly lacking in talent. It is lacking in a clear cut #1 and also lacks that deep threat and the game breaking speed needed to threaten a defense over the top. So while I wouldn't say that this group of WR is a weakness in terms of lacking talent, the lack of game breaking speed on the outside could be a very real Achilles heel of this offense.

DL. Compared to last year's team this is like night and day. Last year's DL was flat out bad by any objective measure lacking any pass rush from the DE position and no ability to stop the run from the DT position. We were thin, weak and undisciplined not to mention poorly coached in an atrocious scheme. A year later, we are deep and well coached able to field 3 units. We brought in 5 transfers and have the returningp players all healthy and in their best physical condition thanks to S&C coach Aaron Feld.

LB. This has long been the weakest unit on the team but there have been some changes from last year. Last season the Key players were Keontra Smith, Corey Flagg, Waynmon Steed, Ryan Ragone, and Gil Frierson at Striker. This year they all return with some key changes. Gone is the fundamentally unsound Diaz defense that has zero in terms of gap integrity. Instead, Kevin Steele will demand discipline and physicality. Replacing the slow footed Flagg at Mike will be the speedy transfer from UCLA Caleb Johnson. Keontra Smith who played at 203 lb last year is back at 230 LB to compete with true freshman Wesley Bissainthe, Chase Smith, Waynmon Steed, Corey Flagg, Avery Huff and Thomas Davis.

While LB still remains the weakest unit on the team there have been some notable changes and potential improvements. The addition of Caleb Johnson should solidify the Mike position and give us the speed we have been lacking there. With another year under his belt and an added 27 pounds, Keontra Smith should be better equipped to play the physical style demanded by coach Steele. Last year Waynmon Steed began to look like his old self little by little. This year he is finally fully healthy and fully recovered from the knee surgeries that had robbed him of his quickness and speed. Now at 100% it will be fun to watch Steed battle for a starting spot. After 2 years of adjusting to college and dealing with an injury, Chase Smith is finally ready to show what the fan base has been patiently waiting for. He will have every opportunity. Highly touted freshman Wesley Bissainthe will also be in the mix for playing time as will freshman Thomas Davis. Perhaps the most significant difference and improvement is the fact that this LB group will be coached by one of the best LB coaches in the game Charlie Strong. Look for Strong's group to steadily improve as the season goes on. At the end of the season I expect to see a much improved LB corps.

Safety. We are deep and talented at Safety and improved from last year based on the fact that everyone is back. James Williams, Avantae Williams and Kamren Kinchens lead an elite group that could be the best in the nation. Gilbert Frierson, Brian Balom, Keyshawn Washington, Al Blades and Markieth Williams provide excellent depth.

CB. Once again we return everyone from a CB unit who had it's ups and downs last season but has thoroughly embraced the new staff and shocked fans during spring with their drastic improvement. Tyrique Stevenson, DJ Ivey, Tecory Couch, Malik Curtis, Marcus Clarke, Isaiah Dunson, Daryl Porter Jr, Chris Graves, Kamauri Rogers, and Jaden Harris bring a good blend of veteran experience, youth and speed.

It should be noted that we return arguably the best punter in the nation in Louis Hedley and one of the best place kickers in Jose Borregales.

In comparing this year's team to last year's, one of if not the most significant element will be coaching. It is difficult to overstate the overall effect that the upgrade in coaching will have on this squad. Last year, this team was coached by on of the worst staffs in the ACC and in the nation. In one month Mario Cristobal put together what is considered one of the best coaching staffs in all college football. Change will not happen overnight to be sure but the difference between the two staffs should be immediately obvious.

Above I have gone over each unit comparing each to last year at this time. In each case other than WR we are in a better position than last year and for many units the difference is obvious. Add to that the fact that last year's team with a clearly inferior roster and a bad coaching staff managed to win 7 games finishing 7-5.

I'm certainly not going to say that we should go 11-1, win the ACC and make the playoffs. I will say that I would expect to win 9 games in the regular season, win the Coastal, and possibly win the ACCCG then a Bowl game. I have us going 10-4. 9-3 in the regular season, a loss in the ACCCG and a Bowl win. Setting us up for a 12-2 type season in 2023.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We’re on the exact same page:

Superior:
-QB room
-TE room
-S room

Solid:
-DE

Optimistic:
-DB (b/c of coaching)
-RB (if they can stay healthy, can be moved to Superior)

Cause For Concern:
LB
WR
DT
OL (depth, fit across entire line)

I think you have RB and DT one rung too low (each). Aside from that, I agree

I think you have RB and DT one rung too low (each). Aside from that, I agree

Chaney & Rooster have shown to be injury prone. Thad keeps getting mixed reviews, & now it’s rumored Citizen has a hyper extended knee. That leaves us w/ Parrish, who’s a serviceable back, but not great, imo. That’s y I have the disclaimer next to this group.

Regarding DT, I know we have Jackson, but we need another name to step up. We have a lot of Edge & tweeners, but we desperately need Miller, Taylor, Harrison-Hunte to take that next step. But you’re right, I could’ve placed them a rung higher.

Chaney & Rooster have shown to be injury prone. Thad keeps getting mixed reviews, & now it’s rumored Citizen has a hyper extended knee. That leaves us w/ Parrish, who’s a serviceable back, but not great, imo. That’s y I have the disclaimer next to this group.

Regarding DT, I know we have Jackson, but we need another name to step up. We have a lot of Edge & tweeners, but we desperately need Miller, Taylor, Harrison-Hunte to take that next step. But you’re right, I could’ve placed them a rung higher.
Didn't hear about Citizens knee until I read the above. Hopefully the rumor is false.

Advertisement

Mario has really turned the roster over with a small class of hs seniors and a nice haul of transfers. He is already ahead of the game, though not finished with the roster!

How we forget the disastrous King experiment to start the last season.....
I think if we get past the first 5 games unscathed and major injury free, we win 10 games easily....

Advertisement
Back