Official Fall PractiSe # 13: Friday August 19

I'm going to break out "Calm your ****" to the Mrs. next time she starts scolding me and see how it goes
48C95D16-D2D4-4DD2-8C29-58BD056E4CDA.gif

Advertisement
@Liberty City El every time someone mentions Air Raid or throw the ball more……

Wiggle Nipples GIF by Bilder & Freunde
Lol...

I’m not against running the ball, the argument I’ve made 1,000 times on this debate has always been predicated on personnel...

IF Miami had a stout Road-Grading OL, then yes pound the **** rock, but I would surmise they’re not quite there yet.

What we have in year 1, (according to general consensus) is a really good QB, possibly one of the best...

So what produces the most offensive productivity & makes us a difficult viable team to Defend against given our current roster as it stands?

Open up the field, spread the ball around & Run to keep the Defense off balance? Or establish the Run game, condense the field & pound the rock until we’re Blue in the face?

I would wager being Balanced would create the best results, it’s just matter of philosophy of how to attain that balance.

Miami isn’t Michigan & Miami isn’t UGA, our personnel is different, but if that’s the direction to travel then by all means full steam ahead. Just make sure yall understand that those teams didn’t become what they were in 2021 in just 1 year, that’s a 4+ year process of building up your Offensive & Defensive personnel to where you can win with a game manager QB. Take a look at the NFL draft, those teams had a lot of players drafted from their Defenses, that’s not a coincidence.

Ironically enough, the same fanbase who thinks TVD is one of the best QB’s in the Nation, potential 1st rounder & even some (delusionally) believe that he can be a Heisman candidate, are also the same ones who are basically arguing against him doing what it would require for him to achieve all those lofty goals lol

I mean think of it like this, does anybody think we can beat TAMU because they have a dangerous potent passing attack? I would guess, most think that if we shut down TAMU’s run game it will put us in prime position to win the game, so what does that tell you about TAMU’s Offense? If you take away their Run game, what’s their counterpunch?

I just go by what makes logical sense to me, but Idk maybe I’m just retarded or something 🤷🏽‍♂️ Lol

Advertisement
Lol...

I’m not against running the ball, the argument I’ve made 1,000 times on this debate has always been predicated on personnel...

IF Miami had a stout Road-Grading OL, then yes pound the **** rock, but I would surmise they’re not quite there yet.

What we have in year 1, (according to general consensus) is a really good QB, possibly one of the best...

So what produces the most offensive productivity & makes us a difficult viable team to Defend against given our current roster as it stands?

Open up the field, spread the ball around & Run to keep the Defense off balance? Or establish the Run game, condense the field & pound the rock until we’re Blue in the face?

I would wager being Balanced would create the best results, it’s just matter of philosophy of how to attain that balance.

Miami isn’t Michigan & Miami isn’t UGA, our personnel is different, but if that’s the direction to travel then by all means full steam ahead. Just make sure yall understand that those teams didn’t become what they were in 2021 in just 1 year, that’s a 4+ year process of building up your Offensive & Defensive personnel to where you can win with a game manager QB. Take a look at the NFL draft, those teams had a lot of players drafted from their Defenses, that’s not a coincidence.

Ironically enough, the same fanbase who thinks TVD is one of the best QB’s in the Nation, potential 1st rounder & even some (delusionally) believe that he can be a Heisman candidate, are also the same ones who are basically arguing against him doing what it would require for him to achieve all those lofty goals lol

I mean think of it like this, does anybody think we can beat TAMU because they have a dangerous potent passing attack? I would guess, most think that if we shut down TAMU’s run game it will put us in prime position to win the game, so what does that tell you about TAMU’s Offense? If you take away their Run game, what’s their counterpunch?

I just go by what makes logical sense to me, but Idk maybe I’m just retarded or something 🤷🏽‍♂️ Lol
Logic on CIS? That's a rich concept. Also be prepared for the TVD gang to come white knighting.

After we *really* opened things up and started to throw the ball around last year, we were 5-2 with a 3 point loss @UNC (we scored 42 points that game) and a freakish head scratcher-type loss @FSU. I’m not against establishing more of a run game. I’m actually for it in the context of conversions. But, throwing the ‘**** out of the ball last year’ is not what led us to a disappointing 7-5 record.
Lashlee and TVD were a great match. that kind of offensive system + TVD's arm strength and overall talent is going to equal a ton of yards and points in college football. it's really just that simple.

the trade that we are making with Cristobal is relinquishing an offense that pushes the ball downfield for explosive pass plays in exchange for a team that is overall more physically prepared to play high level, championship contending football. whether we were 7-5 last year because we couldn't convert third and short feels like not seeing the forest for the trees. we will probably be better in short yardage this year but that will be a symptom of just having a team and program that is, on a macro level, much more ready to compete -- the fact that our defense last year couldn't tackle feels related to the fact that our offensive line couldn't get push in short yardage. all this stuff should be better this year because we have a coach that thinks a certain way, and that also influences his offensive POV.

if you look at how guys like Saban, Kirby, Urban coach, there is a correlation (for whatever reason) between recruiting at a certain level -> having a team that looks a certain way athletically/physically -> playing a brand of offensive football that keeps hyper-explosive, pass-happy offenses at arm's distance. Saban of course has loosened his offenses up, but title winning teams in the last 10-15 years have generally had balanced, even run-heavy offenses. I guess the thinking is that if you can mash people and be hyper-efficient running the ball, you might as well do that. it's important to note that there have been teams who have done it differently -- 2019 LSU had probably the best offense in the history of the sport and they were throwing the ball all over the place. they also had what may end up being an NFL Hall of Fame QB and two Hall of Fame WRs.

ultimately, stylistically speaking, we hired a Nick Saban not a Lincoln Riley. we'll see how the results play out, but if Mario recruits at a certain level the success should be there.

as for Lashlee, we should keep in mind he was getting hired by SMU regardless. so we would have had a new OC anyway, probably a similar system/vision but the exact offense we saw last year was never coming back. I also had issues with how he coached against teams like Clemson -- the Malzahn and Briles systems are based on simplicity, and I never felt like Lashlee was coming into those games with a team-specific game plan. he very much wanted to run his stuff, which with those systems is going to work almost every time against the average college football team. but we have higher aspirations now.

Advertisement
Lol...

I agree with everything you’ve said. Excellent points and analysis as always.

Now……

Relaxing Chill Out GIF by Talk Stoop

Advertisement
After we *really* opened things up and started to throw the ball around last year, we were 5-2 with a 3 point loss @UNC (we scored 42 points that game) and a freakish head scratcher-type loss @FSU. I’m not against establishing more of a run game. I’m actually for it in the context of conversions. But, throwing the ‘**** out of the ball last year’ is not what led us to a disappointing 7-5 record.

That's an 8.5-win pace with the hottest QB in the nation and three close wins going our way. We also weren’t playing Bama or MSU.

I agree defense was our biggest problem. Our bad running game made it worse. You can win with an average passer. You can't win with no running game.

Just look at the Top 5 teams last year. Georgia, Michigan and Baylor were all heavy run-first teams with average or worse QBs. Cincy was balanced. Alabama was more passing-oriented but could run when they needed to. Even in 2022, running the ball is still a non-negotiable.

That's not to say we should play like a Big 10 team. If we aren't taking advantage of our elite QB and making explosive passing plays, we're in trouble. But if the solution is "give up on the run," like the poster suggested, it's the formula for another mediocre season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back