Official Fall PractiSe # 13: Friday August 19

Don’t you think we should just cancel all the scrimmages, as well as all the practices before the first game.

That way will be sure that nobody gets even the slightest injury.

And I’m sure that’s really safe - playing full speed football after no scrimmages or full contact practices, even against Bethune Cookman.
Sigourney Weaver Aliens GIF

Advertisement
Don’t you think we should just cancel all the scrimmages, as well as all the practices before the first game.

And I’m sure that’s really safe - playing full speed football after no scrimmages or full contact practices, even against Bethune Cookman.

Not aimed at Dynasty, but I get extremely irritated by fans flipping out over our RB injuries when they were also flipping out over poor tackling and players just "going through the motions" for the entire first half of last season. It's one or the other, man. You play tough, physical, smash mouth football, injuries happen.

And like you said, we may not have had many injuries going into last season. But we ended up with a lot of injuries during the season, probably because the players hadn't grown accustomed to the physicality of a real game. You literally can't avoid them in football.

And I'm sure you missed the joke ...

We threw the **** out of the ball last year. Finished last in the ACC in rushing.

7-5.
After we *really* opened things up and started to throw the ball around last year, we were 5-2 with a 3 point loss @UNC (we scored 42 points that game) and a freakish head scratcher-type loss @FSU. I’m not against establishing more of a run game. I’m actually for it in the context of conversions. But, throwing the ‘**** out of the ball last year’ is not what led us to a disappointing 7-5 record.

Advertisement
I'm a lunatic, so I've rewatched about every single game we won last year in the last two weeks. This statement is so mind-numbingly true I am still mad about the VT game, which we won.
i always watch the prior year´s game before the new season. i did that 2 weeks ago. lots to learn and remember.

No excuses for Thad. He’s wanted a chance to show what he’s got and YET AGAIN opportunity has knocked at his door. He failed miserably last season when Knighton needed him. Let’s see if he answers the bell this year. If he doesn’t, I’m ready to let him pursue other options in the portal if that’s what he wants. Times up..

I'm a lunatic, so I've rewatched about every single game we won last year in the last two weeks. This statement is so mind-numbingly true I am still mad about the VT game, which we won.
The statement can be both true (that, of course, having lots of 3 and outs hurts a defense) and simultaneously not the primary reason we were 7-5. Our defense couldn’t tackle, couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down, and couldn’t get important stops on critical opponent drives. Plain and simple.

Advertisement
I did, and they were.

More than anything, I'm bummed for Chaney. He needs to get completely healthy and give us a boost in the second half of the year. This is a huge opportunity for Thad. He can help us. Hopefully, he has developed a taste for Kale and Spinach.

Serious question... Why should we think our running game will be any better?

So many times our O couldn't get the push. Play calling and new practicing techniques don't seem like enough of a difference maker to make these guys win the man on man battles they need to win to get that push. I dont see drastically different body types on the O or any real newbies cracking the rotation. To me its the biggest question mark about this team, with the second being how does Gattis handle not being able to run the ball.

After we *really* opened things up and started to throw the ball around last year, we were 5-2 with a 3 point loss @UNC (we scored 42 points that game) and a freakish head scratcher-type loss @FSU. I’m not against establishing more of a run game. I’m actually for it in the context of conversions. But, throwing the ‘**** out of the ball last year’ is not what led us to a disappointing 7-5 record.
Agree. Opening the offense up and being a true pass first team is what saved the season from getting ugly. We looked more like a Sonny Dykes offense versus a Gus Malzahn offense under king. The Rpo and using backs in the passing game is what changed things.

So many times our O couldn't get the push. Play calling and new practicing techniques don't seem like enough of a difference maker to make these guys win the man on man battles they need to win to get that push. I dont see drastically different body types on the O or any real newbies cracking the rotation. To me its the biggest question mark about this team, with the second being how does Gattis handle not being able to run the ball.
Coaching, scheme, game experience and a HC who played the position and he demanding physicality should all contribute to better run game

We threw the **** out of the ball last year. Finished last in the ACC in rushing.

7-5.
We also played to not lose at the end of several winnable games. Your point remains but a lot of that will be addressed through OL play (hopefully).

Fielding a D that actually tackles will help as well.

Advertisement

Our current OL will never be road graders or super physical but scheme and coaching will improve their biggest weaknesses. This offense will allow them to drive and play down hill more versus previous years. They’re also having physicality beat into their heads daily. Mario with OL‘s is like Urban with St’s, Leach / Riley with qb’s and Saban with db’s. They all take pride in their specialties. If that area struggles it reflects on them.

That said if we want to be successful this season I think we should take notes from Lashlee. Depend on the qb and a pretty good pass blocking Ol and skill guys. Good coaches play to their rosters strengths first.

The statement can be both true (that, of course, having lots of 3 and outs hurts a defense) and simultaneously not the primary reason we were 7-5. Our defense couldn’t tackle, couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down, and couldn’t get important stops on critical opponent drives. Plain and simple.
I'm not even speaking to record, which I know is the exact thing I quoted, but more the general ineffectiveness of our run game. Specifically on downs where we needed it most.

I chalk it up more to the blandness of the run scheme (if Lashlee even had one) and the fact we relied on an undersized true freshman RB for over half the year.

I'm not even speaking to record, which I know is the exact thing I quoted, but more the general ineffectiveness of our run game. Specifically on downs where we needed it most.

I chalk it up more to the blandness of the run scheme (if Lashlee even had one) and the fact we relied on an undersized true freshman RB for over half the year.
The run game was as bland as white peoples cooking.

Advertisement
partly poor OL run play and partly poor play calling
Having more than 1 running play will likely help. When everyone watching in the stadium and at home knows the RB will be running in up the middle the other defense likely knows it as well. Just once I wanted to see Lashlee fake the dive or just call something to the outside.

The run game was as bland as white peoples cooking.
Everyone knew what was coming when we ran the ball. Just being more diverse in run plays is likely to help the OL since the guy they are trying to block will not know where the ball is going from the minute the ball is snapped

Advertisement
Back