Official Fall PractiSe #12: Thursday August 18

It’s the most depth we’ve had on Defense since 2017...

We essentially have 3 levels that can be augmented with cross-positional interoperability at nearly every spot.

It’s simply a matter of personnel chess & picking the right piece for the right move in the right moment.

Other than about 3 or 4 guys, the Defense has the least amount of questionable talent & appears to be the best unit of the team overall. The versatility combined with the Defensive Coaching Braintrust of Kevin Steele, Charlie Strong, Eddy O with the DL & DB coaches makes for an opportunity for the Defense to vastly improve & make their way into a top 20 ranking this season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ for use of "cross-positional interoperability"

Advertisement
Before anyone asks TS isn’t moving to star but he’ll get reps there during the season , likely being dictated by situation / down and distance. I imagine that’s why Davis is getting reps at practice with the pass rushers. He’s a Lb but could be used off the edge to rush the passer situationally. You’ll see things you haven’t seen in recent years to get the best players on the field especially on money downs. JW is another one who’ll be used in different facets. And yes he’s still a SAFETY!
The 🐐 with the JW0 love. We know he loves the Don. Just gotta get him on the LT56 train

Besides his work ethic, his running back frame might be his best attribute. He's not a little guy even if he's a bit short.
I understand what u meant big dawg, but I gotta let Scott talk to u
Scott Hall Wrestling GIF by WWE

Hey yo! Hit the button

Advertisement
Julian Edelman in his prime was a 1000+ yard a year WR for about 6 years straight on one of the best offenses in football. He was a legit WR1 on a Top 5 team. So do you think Restrepo can be a WR1 on one of the better offenses in college football?
Yes. Restrepo will get the most targets, the most looks on third down. He is the exact same playing type, their sizes are similar, and their playing style is similar.

Our offense is built to throw over the middle and control the middle. Restrepo is the slot receiver and gets the most looks from TVD. Of course he will be WR1.

Yes. Restrepo will get the most targets, the most looks on third down. He is the exact same playing type, their sizes are similar, and their playing style is similar.

Our offense is built to throw over the middle and control the middle. Restrepo is the slot receiver and gets the most looks from TVD. Of course he will be WR1.
No I'm not asking can be WR1 on this team. I'm asking can he be a WR1 for a legit Top 10 caliber team.

Advertisement
Ha. This is the dude who Mario said the NFL scouts noticed right away at practice the other day.
Scouts notice a lot of players. Braxton Berrios never had more then 700 yards a year here and was draftable WR. That's what I think Restrepo is, He is right now what Berrios was as a senior. A Good Slot WR on a Good team. Someone who can give you 700-800 yards a year and is a late day 3 draft pick. Do I think he's a WR1 for a Top 10 team like a Jordan Addison, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams,.Josh Downs, Drake London, Treylon Burks, Georgia Pickens? No I do not but I hope I'm wrong

It’s the most depth we’ve had on Defense since 2017...

We essentially have 3 levels that can be augmented with cross-positional interoperability at nearly every spot.

It’s simply a matter of personnel chess & picking the right piece for the right move in the right moment.

Other than about 3 or 4 guys, the Defense has the least amount of questionable talent & appears to be the best unit of the team overall. The versatility combined with the Defensive Coaching Braintrust of Kevin Steele, Charlie Strong, Eddy O with the DL & DB coaches makes for an opportunity for the Defense to vastly improve & make their way into a top 20 ranking this season.

Upvoted for appropriate use of cross-positional interoperability.

EDIT: I didn’t see the other posts complimenting the superlative use of language by EL

Advertisement
Some observation notes from Lake and Gaby:
DEFENSE:
-Leonard Taylor was taking a few reps off the edge with the second unit There is definitely alot of cross training going on for both sides of the ball.
-Tyrique getting alot of looks at STAR; Daryl Porter was getting some looks at nickel corner. Couch getting looks at outside corner

- Seemed like Kam Kinchens was getting a lot of first team looks with Avantae Williams. There is a rotation that also includes James Williams.

-
The first team defensive line for a portion of practice that we could watch was: DE Jahfari Harvey, DT Jared Harrison-Hunte, DT Darrell Jackson, and DE Akheem Mesidor

- The second team defensive line that we could see was: DE Mitchell Agude, DT Jake Lichtenstein, DT Antonio Moultrie, and DE Chantz Williams

- There's alot of mixing and matching at Linebacker:
The first team linebackers appeared to be Corey Flagg and Waynmon Steed

- Caleb Johnson was primarily working with the second team while we were watching. Chase Smith getting some looks at MLB (maybe a sub package?)

OFFENSE:
-
TVD puts on a clinic with his ball placement

-The first team receivers appeared to be: WR Frank Ladson, WR Key’Shawn Smith, and WR Xavier Restrepo.
- In RB drills, Knighton takes first reps with Chaney taking second reps

- Jaccurri Brown had his best day in the net target drill.

I re-watched the Pitt game last night...

1. I think people have forgotten how good TVD is. He carried the entire program, ****** defense, amateur coaches and all.

2. If we can generate pressure with 4 linemen our defense will be really good.

Challenge to the board: watch the Pitt game from last season and tell me who beats us this season and why..

1. I think people have forgotten how good TVD is. He carried the entire program, ****** defense, amateur coaches and all.

Challenge to the board: watch the Pitt game from last season and tell me who beats us this season and why..

The Pitt game was my favorite last year out of an overall frustrating year. TVD's talent & our awful tackling were on the fullest display that game. TAMU & Clemson are the obvious most likely L's and no need to really dive further on those games. The two other opponents who concern me the most: UNC week 5, they have the talent to beat us considering they have recruited well the last few years. We need to win that game psychologically after Mack owned Manny for 3 years straight. UVA in late October will also be a test. New coaching staff with plenty of attrition but the Cavs historically play us pretty tough. The other games I feel pretty confident and believe we match up very well objectively.

watching the I AM ATHLETE with Antrel Rolle, I could see Tyrique's career playing out similarly to Rolle...both are 6'ish 205lbs ish... bigger size, physical CBs that prefer jamming at the line, that could fill in at safety.. lots of versatility... antrel Rolle even said in the video that he knew he was more likely to end up at safety but was already a few years in at CB in college so he just focused on that to get drafted and then helped out wherever was needed when he got to the league..
Yup. I see Rod Woodson. Starts as a CB, moves to FS and SS as he matures. Loves to tackle and hit. Loves to be in the box. He’ll have a minimum of three NFL contracts. His versatility is his greatest asset. Fingers crossed for him. We need a new era of All Americans and Hall of Famers. South Florida kid coming home and staying for his senior year is the best way to start this trend.

Advertisement
Wanna know what's totally wild?

Look at the kids out of eligibility for 2023. Rique is not, but we all expect him to be gone.

But aside from him, Ivey, Steed, Moultrie, Agude, and Lichtenstein. That's it. Every single other kid, should they so choose, can come back.

So as good as this defense may be this year, and I'm with you, you basically bring everyone back and add in kids like 2nd year Kelly, Moss, Bissainthe, Graves, Rogers, Moten, Harris, the 2023 class with kids like Wayne, etc. and any other kids who we can bring in via the portal. So I went from thinking this unit would be a train wreck to being really optimistic about the defense this year and I think it's really set up to be excellent in 2023, assuming we keep the staff intact.
Ivey on the list?! :u5pyxda:

Interesting challenge that I think might be best answered by the first UMiami offensive series. The announcer specifically states "things were opened up for Van Dyke..." We went 5WR (Knighton split out) to start the game. Guys were split out to nearly the absolute edges. On 2nd and 25, Van Dyke is let loose with a huge throw to Rambo on the sideline. On 3rd and like 10, he chucks downfield for a huge first down to Key Smith.

Essentially, I'm not sure we'll see that offense, those splits, or that attack. So, what you saw Van Dyke do ***may*** be different than what he is asked to do this season. It may be *better* for the team/program, but let's see how he does in different sets and playcalls. We shall see.

Yup. I see Rod Woodson. Starts as a CB, moves to FS and SS as he matures. Loves to tackle and hit. Loves to be in the box. He’ll have a minimum of three NFL contracts. His versatility is his greatest asset. Fingers crossed for him. We need a new era of All Americans and Hall of Famers. South Florida kid coming home and staying for his senior year is the best way to start this trend.
Rod Woodson played like 10 years as a Corner before moving to Safety (and, IIRC, after he busted his knee). Did you mean Charles? Even he didn't make the move to Safety until he was in his mid-30s. I think Tyrique is a different type of DB than either of those guys. In the NFL, he may get a look inside much, much earlier.

Interesting challenge that I think might be best answered by the first UMiami offensive series. The announcer specifically states "things were opened up for Van Dyke..." We went 5WR (Knighton split out) to start the game. Guys were split out to nearly the absolute edges. On 2nd and 25, Van Dyke is let loose with a huge throw to Rambo on the sideline. On 3rd and like 10, he chucks downfield for a huge first down to Key Smith.

Essentially, I'm not sure we'll see that offense, those splits, or that attack. So, what you saw Van Dyke do ***may*** be different than what he is asked to do this season. It may be *better* for the team/program, but let's see how he does in different sets and playcalls. We shall see.
Dam you think we gonna neuter an NFL QB while tryna prove "toughness" in 10 man boxes as DC dare us to throw while we bang into wall?! Off to the Mario qb killer thread

Bat Signal 80S GIF

Advertisement
Back