Official Fall PractiSe #12: Thursday August 18

Advertisement
The Pitt game was my favorite last year out of an overall frustrating year. TVD's talent & our awful tackling were on the fullest display that game. TAMU & Clemson are the obvious most likely L's and no need to really dive further on those games. The two other opponents who concern me the most: UNC week 5, they have the talent to beat us considering they have recruited well the last few years. We need to win that game psychologically after Mack owned Manny for 3 years straight. UVA in late October will also be a test. New coaching staff with plenty of attrition but the Cavs historically play us pretty tough. The other games I feel pretty confident and believe we match up very well objectively.

nah...

Manny isn't here anymore and no opponent will have a better QB than TVD, while simultaneously fielding a superior defensive unit.

So come again with why UNC, who barely won by 3 points on a red-zone int, will beat a better-tackling and more physical Miami at home without Sam Howell.

Same for UVA but by 2 points and a they also have a brand new coaching staff.

You're underestimating how poor the coaching was last season and the impact TVD will have for our team.

I really hope that the players understand that the more wins the team has the better it is for each individual to achieve their individual goals at the next level. All great teams get a ton of players drafted, some who are made to look good by others and we need that back. Team success always equal to individual success. Proven formula

nah...

Manny isn't here anymore and no opponent will have a better QB than TVD, while simultaneously fielding a superior defensive unit.

So come again with why UNC, who barely won by 3 points on a red-zone int, will beat a better-tackling and more physical Miami at home without Sam Howell.

Same for UVA but by 2 points and a they also have a brand new coaching staff.

You're underestimating how poor the coaching was last season and the impact TVD will have for our team.
I didn't say UNC or UVA would beat us, but I gave reasons as to why they'd be difficult. But I can elaborate further: UNC has a lot of talent on their d line and that will be a solid test for our o line. UVA has a very experienced qb in Brennan Armstrong, while definitely not more talented than TVD, can certainly beat you if the defense isn't playing their best.

Advertisement
With how deep the dline and with the apparent emphasis on cross training. I'd love to see some reverse nascar esque package on like 3rd/4th and 1.

Like give me miller at the nose jackson at the 3 and roberts and taylor at end on some goofy stuff lol.

Cb is where he’ll be , he’s our best cover guy. He’s just being used in multiple facets on certain downs and distances. Same with some other guys.
Def like the scheme to put our best players on the field to make plays. It's situational football depending on down and distance along with momentum something our previous staff couldn't comprehend

I didn't say UNC or UVA would beat us, but I gave reasons as to why they'd be difficult. But I can elaborate further: UNC has a lot of talent on their d line and that will be a solid test for our o line. UVA has a very experienced qb in Brennan Armstrong, while definitely not more talented than TVD, can certainly beat you if the defense isn't playing their best.

All that says you underestimate Steele, Strong and the defensive unit. Miami has talent on the DL with under-coached returners, high-quality transfers and incomers like Kelly. Apart from Clemson and aTm, our defensive unit will likely be the best our team sees this season. And nobody is scared of Brennan Armstong.

If UNC and UVA are 'difficult' this season then something went very wrong, because the physicality of our play (run-blocking and tackling) should be night and day compared to last season.

Advertisement
All that says you underestimate Steele, Strong and the defensive unit. Miami has talent on the DL with under-coached returners, high-quality transfers and incomers like Kelly. Apart from Clemson and aTm, our defensive unit will likely be the best our team sees this season. And nobody is scared of Brennan Armstong.

If UNC and UVA are 'difficult' this season then something went very wrong, because the physicality of our play (run-blocking and tackling) should be night and day compared to last season.
I love what we have on defense no doubt. As Miami fans we always seem to underestimate our ACC foes and believe we'll just steamroller everyone, in this case everyone not named Clemson & TAMU. I predicted 9-3 for the year. I hope we can do better than that but I'm not gonna place expectations higher than that right now.

Interesting challenge that I think might be best answered by the first UMiami offensive series. The announcer specifically states "things were opened up for Van Dyke..." We went 5WR (Knighton split out) to start the game. Guys were split out to nearly the absolute edges. On 2nd and 25, Van Dyke is let loose with a huge throw to Rambo on the sideline. On 3rd and like 10, he chucks downfield for a huge first down to Key Smith.

Essentially, I'm not sure we'll see that offense, those splits, or that attack. So, what you saw Van Dyke do ***may*** be different than what he is asked to do this season. It may be *better* for the team/program, but let's see how he does in different sets and playcalls. We shall see.
Agreed, but I'm more focused on his general decisiveness and knowing where to go with the ball. If his command of Gattis' system is as advertised, I can't see the offense not doing well and him not getting to display his talent.

I fully expect 12 personnel and physical play-action football.

Advertisement
I love what we have on defense no doubt. As Miami fans we always seem to underestimate our ACC foes and believe we'll just steamroller everyone, in this case everyone not named Clemson & TAMU. I predicted 9-3 for the year. I hope we can do better than that but I'm not gonna place expectations higher than that right now.
Because our coaching is generally on par with the rest of the ACC, even though our talent may not be. This year it's different from a coaching standpoint, as our coaching will be Alabama-level and superior to most everyone we play. It's not just spring and fall camp, but game-week and game-day we'll be a better football team this season.

No more playing down to competition and self-generated adversity. I expect a disciplined and highly competitive product that maximizes talent on both sides of the ball. That's what Steele has done on defense his entire career, and I expect the offense to get better by sheer competition and Mario's commitment to the standard each day in practice.

Agreed, but I'm more focused on his general decisiveness and knowing where to go with the ball. If his command of Gattis' system is as advertised, I can't see the offense not doing well and him not getting to display his talent.

I fully expect 12 personnel and physical play-action football.
He made some ridiculous throws in that game. Fun to watch. Hope he has the opportunity to make more of them this season. That 12-15 yard comeback to the far sideline was easy money sometimes. Those might not be the blastoff over-the-top plays some people want, but they're brutal chunks on a defense.

Cant wait to be at Hard Rock again. The time for talk has almost ended. Also games can block out the silly bickering over recruiting while we talk about actual football.
college gameday sport GIF

Advertisement
I re-watched the Pitt game last night...

1. I think people have forgotten how good TVD is. He carried the entire program, ****** defense, amateur coaches and all.

2. If we can generate pressure with 4 linemen our defense will be really good.

Challenge to the board: watch the Pitt game from last season and tell me who beats us this season and why..

His Ho hum toss out of the end zone that broadcast missed was a toss and a half. That was a great pass from a dude who just started playing. Took some seeds to throw it and he threw it with complete confidence.

He made some ridiculous throws in that game. Fun to watch. Hope he has the opportunity to make more of them this season. That 12-15 yard comeback to the far sideline was easy money sometimes. Those might not be the blastoff over-the-top plays some people want, but they're brutal chunks on a defense.
Yup. Makes the defense have to account for every inch of the field.

I re-watched the Pitt game last night...

1. I think people have forgotten how good TVD is. He carried the entire program, ****** defense, amateur coaches and all.

2. If we can generate pressure with 4 linemen our defense will be really good.

Challenge to the board: watch the Pitt game from last season and tell me who beats us this season and why..

******* ****** *** defense

Armstrong will have to play hero ball all year for UVA to win anything. They’re replacing their whole offensive line. He’ll be running for his life every weekend.

Advertisement
Back