Fairweather Fans

When he held up the sign, "Don't be a fan later", my comment was, "I will never be a fan of bad football." I stand by that. I will always be a Miami fan, but I dislike crap football and want better for my team. Who the **** doesn't?

Don't be a fan later...lol...and the team still sucked. BlueWine probably feels dumb now...don't put up signs unless you have legendary skills should be the rule of law.

Advertisement
Look, you are either with The U or against it. It's okay to be critical of Miami but when every comment you make is negative you have to ask yourself, are you really a fan of The U?

There are a lot of people who have jumped ship over the last decade and a half but most of the people on this forum are still proud to throw up The U, including me. That "U" means something. So since you want to keep saying how much better Bama is, just go be their fan. Root for them tomorrow. We don't want you.

I'll say it again, you're either with us or against us. My guy Sheldrick Redwine said it best "Don't be a fan later"

48 Laws of Power, Law 39: Stir Up Waters To Catch Fish
I am with u. The negativity surrounding this program isn't good for anyone. Not in recruiting not in anything. also lets remember with stevenons/bogle we just hired a new dc they couldn't talk to since Is dead period and we have 0 offensive staff in place for them to feel good about our offense improving. I love my canes everytime we hire a coach I hope for the best and richt was guy I tho ught would fix it but diaz to me is the most energetic coach since jimmy

Yup, it’s the fault of the fans. Glad that’s cleared up.

Fair weather fans are the best kind of fans.

They are the only fans who actually pressure Miami to get better.

You don’t win? Then you’re not getting my money.

Garbage product on the field? I’ll take my business elsewhere.

If enough people think that way, then it lights a fire under Miami’s *** to do what it takes to win more games.

Dopey fans who show up no matter what and who never complain about the program are easy money for UM. If all fans thought the way you do, then UM would have zero inventive to spend money on the program.

UM doesn’t spend because they enjoy it, or for the love of football, or the fans, or anything else.

They spend because they know putting out a winning product will put butts in the seats, from us fairweather types.

They spend money when they think they can get a good return on their investment.

The ONLY power we fans have is the purse strings. We control the football revenue.

In my case, they can have my money only if they are serious about competing for championships. Right now, i don’t believe they are, so I’m withholding my money from them.

If enough fans thought like I do, we would see real changes for the better.

So fairweather fans are the best kind of fan.

Advertisement
I'm more of a r/CFB and r/MiamiHurricanes man myself. Stumbled upon this forum through the podcast and decided to give it a try. Sorry I'm not the "long time lurker" or guy with two accounts that you had hoped for.
Did you post the same thing over at r/MiamiHurricanes? Or is CiS the only place you felt needed to be cleansed of negativity? Just trying to figure out why you opened an account and then a few days later decided to tell people how to be fans.

I am with u. The negativity surrounding this program isn't good for anyone. Not in recruiting not in anything. also lets remember with stevenons/bogle we just hired a new dc they couldn't talk to since Is dead period and we have 0 offensive staff in place for them to feel good about our offense improving. I love my canes everytime we hire a coach I hope for the best and richt was guy I tho ught would fix it but diaz to me is the most energetic coach since jimmy

To your comment about Diaz and Jimmy, I was thinking the exact same thing. They always say that a team takes on the personality of it's coach. I hope that proves true.

Did you post the same thing over at r/MiamiHurricanes? Or is CiS the only place you felt needed to be cleansed of negativity? Just trying to figure out why you opened an account and then a few days later decided to tell people how to be fans.

This is a discussion based forum. I created a thread to provoke discussion. The date you joined here doesn't make you more or less entitled to posting a thread.

I guess you chose to ignore the part where I it's okay to be critical. I speak for myself and clearly a lot of people on here when I say all the pointless negative energy is useless. It accomplishes nothing.

But hey, if my OP made you feel a certain way, there may be a reason.

Advertisement
I respect that..but South Florida is full of fair weather fans. I’m not just saying canes fans here..more than other places Ppl down here jump ship at the 1st sign of team adversity..we flew a banner at a road game when we

I call BS on this. The great sports town, fair weather fan is just a myth. I keep hearing how Chicago is a great sports town. Check White Sox attendance. Check Blackhawks attendance when they are not good. Same with Pittsburgh another great sports town, check out Pirates attendance for the 2 decades after Bonds left.

It is simply a Lazy, BS stigma like "UM players are felons" that gets lazily repeated over and over and over again.

Put any city through the crap South Florida has seen for 25 years and attendance would suck worse.

- Heat have been the only consistent product for the last 20 years and always near the top of NBA attendance (even the last 3 years).
- Dolphins still have no TV blackouts despite the fact they have made the playoffs only twice in 15 years.
- Marlins are a disaster franchise, in 25 years, bought 2 world series championship, but never fielded a playoff level team for 2 consecutive seasons. Never gave fans a chance to bond/fall in love with any team. 2 playoff appearances in their existence....no city would support that team
- Panthers are even a worse franchise than the Marlins. Made playoff 2 times in the last 18 years in a league were over half the teams make the playoffs. Team is constantly 7 points out of last playoff spot with 2 games in hand. Amazing they haven't folded.

Then you have a the Canes, a small private school, with a small student body and alumni base having to fight for some casual fan (no affiliation to the school) entertainment $$$ to half fill their stadium when they have massively underachieved for 15 years.

The sports have sucked (outside the Heat) since 2003 in this metro area....No town would support the crap the south florida fan has been subjected to.

I call BS on this. The great sports town, fair weather fan is just a myth. I keep hearing how Chicago is a great sports town. Check White Sox attendance. Check Blackhawks attendance when they are not good. Same with Pittsburgh another great sports town, check out Pirates attendance for the 2 decades after Bonds left.

It is simply a Lazy, BS stigma like "UM players are felons" that gets lazily repeated over and over and over again.

Put any city through the crap South Florida has seen for 25 years and attendance would suck worse.

- Heat have been the only consistent product for the last 20 years and always near the top of NBA attendance (even the last 3 years).
- Dolphins still have no TV blackouts despite the fact they have made the playoffs only twice in 15 years.
- Marlins are a disaster franchise, in 25 years, bought 2 world series championship, but never fielded a playoff level team for 2 consecutive seasons. Never gave fans a chance to bond/fall in love with any team. 2 playoff appearances in their existence....no city would support that team
- Panthers are even a worse franchise than the Marlins. Made playoff 2 times in the last 18 years in a league were over half the teams make the playoffs. Team is constantly 7 points out of last playoff spot with 2 games in hand. Amazing they haven't folded.

Then you have a the Canes, a small private school, with a small student body and alumni base having to fight for some casual fan (no affiliation to the school) entertainment $$$ to half fill their stadium when they have massively underachieved for 15 years.

The sports have sucked (outside the Heat) since 2003 in this metro area....No town would support the crap the south florida fan has been subjected to.
South Florida is full of fair weather fans man..when we’re rolling it’s packed..when there’s negativity fans fly banners on the road against a 4-0 home team. It’s facts. It’s not just me or certain ppl saying man. I’m not saying anybody on this board is guilty of it either. Yes we disagree on the details but all in all we all want the same thing.

Why are south Floridians fair weather? To me it’s simple. We have waaaay more things to do and be entertained by down here. When one of the south Florida teams are winning everybody becomes die hard fans here.But just sticking to the canes I know for sure we have fans who ride the wave of which ever big 3 program is rolling. I know a couple ppl who went from being gator fans and all Tebow to die hard FSU and dalvin cook fans. Ppl down here do that.

Look, you are either with The U or against it. It's okay to be critical of Miami but when every comment you make is negative you have to ask yourself, are you really a fan of The U?

There are a lot of people who have jumped ship over the last decade and a half but most of the people on this forum are still proud to throw up The U, including me. That "U" means something. So since you want to keep saying how much better Bama is, just go be their fan. Root for them tomorrow. We don't want you.

I'll say it again, you're either with us or against us. My guy Sheldrick Redwine said it best "Don't be a fan later"

48 Laws of Power, Law 39: Stir Up Waters To Catch Fish
If you have a friend or relative who is destroying themselves with substance abuse, you’re not their ‘friend’ because you ignore the issue and wish them a good weekend before they head to their dealer.

Your ‘with us or against us’ is incredibly stupid bullshizzle. This U should be glad fans still care enough to bother argue with each other about what is actually wrong. Because it’s pretty clear the U itself has zero interest in knowing the answer. Otherwise they’d actually run an interview process for the HC position. Nope. After 15 years and 4 failed coaches, no need for introspection, let’s just hire the DC off the past staff. Worked last time, right?

Fans who want to go to see nothing but kool aid pipe dreams are not helping isht. Stay off a discussion board if discussion bothers you.

South Florida is full of fair weather fans man..when we’re rolling it’s packed..when there’s negativity fans fly banners on the road against a 4-0 home team. It’s facts. It’s not just me or certain ppl saying man. I’m not saying anybody on this board is guilty of it either. Yes we disagree on the details but all in all we all want the same thing.

Why are south Floridians fair weather? To me it’s simple. We have waaaay more things to do and be entertained by down here. When one of the south Florida teams are winning everybody becomes die hard fans here.But just sticking to the canes I know for sure we have fans who ride the wave of which ever big 3 program is rolling. I know a couple ppl who went from being gator fans and all Tebow to die hard FSU and dalvin cook fans. Ppl down here do that.

Why is it specific to South Florida and not all areas? That is what I don't understand. Outside of a few specific sports franchises (Cubs, Packers)...Why are people like you quick to call south florida fans fair weather for not supporting a losing team, but not new york or chicago or pittsburgh or cleveland, etc.

All this anecdotal stuff you say. Negativity happens everywhere. Knicks, Jets in New York for example. Negativity constantly surrounds the Dallas Cowboys, but you don't call their fans Fair Weathered like you call Dolphin Fans? Why? Both teams sell out their stadiums despite it. And before you go with "opposing fans" filling the stadium I can show you a picture of a 49er fans taking over Jerry World.

I am challenging you to explain why the same behavior for South Florida exists all over, but you don't associate the same negative "fair weather fan" connotation to other places?

Advertisement
OP, if sheldrick redwine is your guy.......that says everything we need to know.

If you have a friend or relative who is destroying themselves with substance abuse, you’re not their ‘friend’ because you ignore the issue and wish them a good weekend before they head to their dealer.

Your ‘with us or against us’ is incredibly stupid bullshizzle. This U should be glad fans still care enough to bother argue with each other about what is actually wrong. Because it’s pretty clear the U itself has zero interest in knowing the answer. Otherwise they’d actually run an interview process for the HC position. Nope. After 15 years and 4 failed coaches, no need for introspection, let’s just hire the DC off the past staff. Worked last time, right?

Fans who want to go to see nothing but kool aid pipe dreams are not helping isht. Stay off a discussion board if discussion bothers you.

A-Effing-Men!!!

This is a discussion based forum. I created a thread to provoke discussion. The date you joined here doesn't make you more or less entitled to posting a thread.

I guess you chose to ignore the part where I it's okay to be critical. I speak for myself and clearly a lot of people on here when I say all the pointless negative energy is useless. It accomplishes nothing.

But hey, if my OP made you feel a certain way, there may be a reason.
Only feeling I got from your op was 'this guys a troll' and you pretty much said that's what you're doing so whatever.. you do you.

Advertisement
Why is it specific to South Florida and not all areas? That is what I don't understand. Outside of a few specific sports franchises (Cubs, Packers)...Why are people like you quick to call south florida fans fair weather for not supporting a losing team, but not new york or chicago or pittsburgh or cleveland, etc.

All this anecdotal stuff you say. Negativity happens everywhere. Knicks, Jets in New York for example. Negativity constantly surrounds the Dallas Cowboys, but you don't call their fans Fair Weathered like you call Dolphin Fans? Why? Both teams sell out their stadiums despite it. And before you go with "opposing fans" filling the stadium I can show you a picture of a 49er fans taking over Jerry World.

I am challenging you to explain why the same behavior for South Florida exists all over, but you don't associate the same negative "fair weather fan" connotation to other places?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...e-and-the-worst-at-supporting-pro-sports/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...orst-fanbases-college-football-161958438.html

I already gave my take on why I think south Florida has the most fair weather fans. Perception is reality. For the U it not being a college town is a major factor for us. For us being such a storied program are attendance and revenue intake has never been great. Even when we dominate our stadium is not full unless it’s a marquee matchup tbh..recruiting is another example. These kids down here have zero loyalty to a local school. Or high schools for that matter. These kids switch up like the weather down here. Hs transfer season is a real thing here. This is not a myth. It has factual basis when you look at our sports team when that’s are dominant compared to average

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...e-and-the-worst-at-supporting-pro-sports/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...orst-fanbases-college-football-161958438.html

I already gave my take on why I think south Florida has the most fair weather fans. Perception is reality. For the U it not being a college town is a major factor for us. For us being such a storied program are attendance and revenue intake has never been great. Even when we dominate our stadium is not full unless it’s a marquee matchup tbh..recruiting is another example. These kids down here have zero loyalty to a local school. Or high schools for that matter. These kids switch up like the weather down here. Hs transfer season is a real thing here. This is not a myth. It has factual basis when you look at our sports team when that’s are dominant compared to average

Ok. Since perception is reality. You are Ok with the perception that all Miami players are thugs that has been perpetuated for 30+ years while other far worse programs (UF, OSU) don't get that. I am sure I can find some opinion articles that lack any nuance or explanation of the facts like you did to justify that perception the rest of the country has. Fans don't support losing teams, Florida has a lot of them....Shocking that losing teams in Florida are at bottom of attendance.

Now you are all over the place. So kids transferring high schools to put themselves in the best position for their future is related to this exactly how?

Least you got one thing right about mentioning not being a college town as a factor when it comes to UM attendance.

Final Question: Since Dolphins and Heat attendance are not issues. Please tell me with the history of the Marlins and Panthers, what other 4 pro team market would show up and support them any differently? You know the answer is none.

Simple....South Florida fans are fair weathered....JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MAJOR METROPOLITAN AREA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back