Fairweather Fans

I remember being a kid and driving past the practice fields on the school bus. I asked my dad if UM was any good at football and said they weren't good at football or anything else. He remembered them being known as Suntan U trying to get vets with GI Bill money to spend after WW2. Twenty years later they had four national championships and were in the top 60 academially.

Results matter.

Advertisement
Been a Cane since 1966 when I was 9 years old. Never once have I worn any other colors and never will. In the 60's and 70's, it was Miami who?

Are there some "fair weather" fans? No doubt. All teams have them. After the success of the 80's and 90's, we all got spoiled and expected that success to continue. We all know what has transpired since and hope that we can return to that same level of success we enjoyed 20 or so years ago.

Everyone has the right to be whatever kind of fan they like.

The ONLY thing I can't stand is some dude on here who can but never goes to games, or decides to renew season tix based on what coordinator is chosen then sits on his soap box screaming at anyone who supports the coach, program or players.

Guarantee the ones accusing people of acceptng mediocrity, being slupers, loving Mork and bashing "The administration" without a shred of backing when asked to give examples, are the ones doing that.

I don't tell you how to be a fan, what to root for, who to like or dislike so don't ask me to. And don't throw out all these grandiose proclamations about money or caring about winning then be unable to find a single current fact to back it.

Be better. Don't just regurgitate every negative thing you've read on here over and over as fact.

jmo.

Last edited:
Look, you are either with The U or against it. It's okay to be critical of Miami but when every comment you make is negative you have to ask yourself, are you really a fan of The U?

There are a lot of people who have jumped ship over the last decade and a half but most of the people on this forum are still proud to throw up The U, including me. That "U" means something. So since you want to keep saying how much better Bama is, just go be their fan. Root for them tomorrow. We don't want you.

I'll say it again, you're either with us or against us. My guy Sheldrick Redwine said it best "Don't be a fan later"

Law 39: Stir Up Waters To Catch Fish

Simplistic analysis. If you graduated from the U, played a sport at the U, have your body tattooed with the U and have supported the U for your entire adult life then that kind of makes you part of the family, wouldn't U say? If my family does something stupid I will be more critical of them than some bum on the street or the equivalent a Gator or a Seminole or the Irish! I bark because I love my family and would die protecting my family. While the U is technically not as valuable to me as my family I have known my U longer than my kids.

To say I am negative because I have witnessed 20 years of mismanagement of the greatest organic asset the U has at its fingertips and I bark about it should not be misunderstood as not loving the U. I just watched a 7 hour coaching search culminate in paying a buyout for a guy that has never been a head coach, a guy I might add that graduated from FSU! I love what Manny Diaz did for our defense, but if we are at all an above average Power 5 team then we should be involved in a more professional hiring process and able to draw more qualified candidates.

Nobody wants the U to succeed more than I do, but when you make the moves our administration makes it tends to irritate any fan smart enough to realize the idiocy that they are now forced to support, because we do love the U. It is when the fans don't care any more and the passion is wiped out that should worry you "die-hard" fans. When you have alums in their 50's scratching their heads to figure out how dumb the administration is that they blindly supported all these years, well you got a big problem and trash talking the people that are questioning this ridiculous mismanagement is not solving the real problem.

Advertisement
Early Post of the Year candidate! 😂🤣😂

This is exactly what I see when I read these butthurt comments. Dudes are literally posting the same thing everyday. Definition of a ****ing contest.

The criticism is more than justifiable, but there’s a clear difference to me between fans who are frustrated with solid gripes that are fresh and offer a sincere, new perspective or solution, as opposed to, those that are posted for props or to be seen as the no nonsense, pessimist/“realist” blog tough guy.

Last edited:
There's deserved criticism and then there's straight negativity. I think all but a small handful of members here lost their patience with Mark Richt and deservedly so. 2018 was a toilet year and nobody should have been happy with that. The team going in the tank just opened the floodgates for the group of miserable pricks who only show up when the team is losing and like to complain about every single aspect of the team while offering zero constructive or realistic solutions. I'm not sure if they're gaytor fans or just trolls but they all disappeared while the team was playing well so it leads me to believe they're not actually UM fans. What kind of fan disappears when the team Is on a winning streak?

Joins a few days ago and decides to tell everyone how they should be a fan. Shouldn't you have started your post with 'long time lurker' or something? Or, go back to your other account and just post under that.

I'm more of a r/CFB and r/MiamiHurricanes man myself. Stumbled upon this forum through the podcast and decided to give it a try. Sorry I'm not the "long time lurker" or guy with two accounts that you had hoped for.

Advertisement
The Canes have given us half a season of enjoyment the last 15 years.

Forgive our impatience.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Amen. I’m an alum, so I owe and feel a degree of loyalty regardless of results. But before I became an alum, I sat in the OB drenched in rain to watch that frigging gator flop. For me, I try desperately to no slam the players because it was them that created this Cane family. But the school, adminstration, BOT and the hired hands called coaches, it is deliver or to **** with you. We have enough people in this world who think they should tell us what to say and do, we do not need to do the same to each other.
Geezer

raw

Look, you are either with The U or against it. It's okay to be critical of Miami but when every comment you make is negative you have to ask yourself, are you really a fan of The U?

There are a lot of people who have jumped ship over the last decade and a half but most of the people on this forum are still proud to throw up The U, including me. That "U" means something. So since you want to keep saying how much better Bama is, just go be their fan. Root for them tomorrow. We don't want you.

I'll say it again, you're either with us or against us. My guy Sheldrick Redwine said it best "Don't be a fan later"

48 Laws of Power, Law 39: Stir Up Waters To Catch Fish
What a stupid post.

Advertisement
I do think most here are real fans but it's the ones who post nothing but negativity over and over again that really ruin the board. Criticizing every single thing before they have any idea if it will work out just so they can run back here and say they were right.

If you're more concerned with being right and trying to earn internet cool points then Miami winning then sorry you're not a fan and sadly, there are a lot of them on here but that's what the ignore feature is for.

But yea the ones who are just constantly miserable and think we will never be good again, I'm not really sure why they are even here. Just to pollute the board and try to make everyone else miserable I suppose.

You posted a meme of the Dead Sea on another thread because the OP is too salty. Miami fans are too danm salty. We're like som chick on the rag who can't get her hands on some midol and chocolate. We complain about everything and ever decision sucks ***.

You posted a meme of the Dead Sea on another thread because the OP is too salty. Miami fans are too danm salty. We're like som chick on the rag who can't get her hands on some midol and chocolate. We complain about everything and ever decision sucks ***.

Cool story bro

Advertisement
Back