Facility upgrades

No arguments from my son but the amount of construction on campus is amazing. First 2 towers are coming down within weeks. The last 2 four months later. Feel bad for the kids as housing will be impacted and they are going to have to navigate around a bunch of construction during their time on campus.

Wow, I think the original plan was to tear down Hecht first, build the first phase of Centennial Village, and then tear down Stanford in a couple of years (finishing Centennial about 4 years from now). It is impressive to see them trying to do it all at once.

As you said, the construction will suck, but it might just be better take the pain for a couple of years and then be completely done ahead of schedule.

When I was an undergrad, UM was digging HUGE trenches all over campus in order to link the air conditioning system. Apparently, it was more energy efficient to run A/C 24 hours a day, but by pooling the capacity of all the A/C units all over campus. So they connected most of the buildings with a massive underground piping loop, and it took a year or two to complete the whole project.

Advertisement
Wasn't it the Merrick building that had a very wide walkway on the campus side of the building shaded by trees? If memory serves, that was the one that the facade was never properly finished and they had talked about doing so in the 90's.

Merrick was the big white building in between the School of Business and the Memorial (classroom) Building.

Business and Merrick were both a mixture of classrooms and offices. At the time I was there, the Business School was on "stilts", there was nothing on the ground floor, you had to go to the 2nd floor before you got to offices and classrooms.

Memorial was a building that was built in a few stages. People often walked through the "breezeway" of Merrick, and you could see that things were built at different elevations. At one time, the Business School moved some of its general administrative offices into the Merrick breezeway, but the rest of the building was used (mostly) by the School of Communications, with a bit of Arts & Sciences. Then you had Memorial and the Learning Center. The LC was the octagon shaped building that had lecture-hall classrooms (like a movie theater), and Memorial was the super-long 2/3 story building that was alllllll classrooms, but also had the Cosford Cinema right in the middle, on the second floor.

And all of those buildings are super-old.

Merrick was the big white building in between the School of Business and the Memorial (classroom) Building.

Business and Merrick were both a mixture of classrooms and offices. At the time I was there, the Business School was on "stilts", there was nothing on the ground floor, you had to go to the 2nd floor before you got to offices and classrooms.

Memorial was a building that was built in a few stages. People often walked through the "breezeway" of Merrick, and you could see that things were built at different elevations. At one time, the Business School moved some of its general administrative offices into the Merrick breezeway, but the rest of the building was used (mostly) by the School of Communications, with a bit of Arts & Sciences. Then you had Memorial and the Learning Center. The LC was the octagon shaped building that had lecture-hall classrooms (like a movie theater), and Memorial was the super-long 2/3 story building that was alllllll classrooms, but also had the Cosford Cinema right in the middle, on the second floor.

And all of those buildings are super-old.
I had all my classes in Memorial, Stubblefield, or LC.

I had all my classes in Memorial, Stubblefield, or LC.

Oh, ****, I had to look up "Stubblefield" and I was a business undergrad and MBA!

I think I forgot, the Jenkins Building was technically the offices (named after the guy who founded Publix) and the Stubblefield Building was the classrooms, right? And everything was connected by 2nd/3rd/4th/5th floor walkways.

I guess I just thought SB stood for School o' Business. Ahhh, Stubblefield Building.

1653665877270.png

Oh, ****, I had to look up "Stubblefield" and I was a business undergrad and MBA!

I think I forgot, the Jenkins Building was technically the offices (named after the guy who founded Publix) and the Stubblefield Building was the classrooms, right? And everything was connected by 2nd/3rd/4th/5th floor walkways.

I guess I just thought SB stood for School o' Business. Ahhh, Stubblefield Building.

View attachment 187367
At one point Sanford Ziff of Sunglass Hut fame had his name on something over there too.

Advertisement
At one point Sanford Ziff of Sunglass Hut fame had his name on something over there too.

Bernie too. After my time, though, I think when I was in law school.

And you can say SANFORD Ziff, but all I see is this guy:
1653666146798.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Peeping WF’s Road Show & they mentioned how they spent $110m to upgrade their facilities which should be complete by 2023, & how it was important to do this for the student to see the athletic investments matches the academic investments, “visually.”

Richt was mentioned about pushing us to get on this train, & related a story about having a convo w/ EJ Manual who “loved” Miami, but after a campus visit w/ his pops, he saw how subpar our facilities were compared to others, which gave the impression to his father about our commitment or lack thereof to football (which was true).

This is exactly y Mario & Rad r giving us a much, much, much needed facelift, b/c while facilities r not the end all to be all for recruits, it does play a factor. New day, w/ fwd thinking leadership! 🙌🏾

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back