Facilities Arms Race

We have the best *** facilities in south florida, the OP is crazy! Why else do you think once the college players make it to the NFL they flock to Miami?

3f432df712addda1c3f87c9417e211be.jpg

0a71b1d6ab0146295e4f2f794d138b3c.jpg

Go Canes
1633971960739.gif

Advertisement
This is a race we can't win (or even be competitive), move on and get over it.
Agree. If recent history teaches us anything, a dedicated oppositions can erode and deplete better equipped opposition using asymmetrical tactics. The Taliban have no defense budget and they just won a war against the Alabama of nation building. We need to take some of their concepts in our Jihad to become relevant. A couple of opening ideas we could adopt:

1) identify where opponent isn’t strong and you are- the Taliban had a geographic advantage that they exploited. Similarly bama has a decent talent base but their offense has been built with south Florida skill players over the last ten years. We need to exploit our geographical advantage.

2) commitment to long war - the Taliban had political will for a long campaign. Similarly, we need to stop expecting to be “back” in 2 years.

3) strategic vision - this feeds into 2, but we need an ideological frame work to build around. I posit that a high function, offensive minded, HC who we can not only hire, but retain is key here similar to a spiritual imam.

4) prohibiting women from voting - not much detail needed here as it’s obviously a superior system

5) ideological marketing for in group cohesion - todays current sporting environment is bland and inspires little group cohesion / team unity. By using PR practices to reemphasis common beliefs / culture we can create greater results. This feeds into the moral needed for a long rebuild and was a common place feature when Howard and Jimmy built an us against them mentality. Obvious parellels here to the concept of the outside group infidel.

Let’s go Canes! / Allah Akbar!

Miami has great facilities when compared to the ACC Coastal, which they can't win.
The only ACC Coastal school who may have worse facilities than Miami is Duke and that is questionable.

To me, it is more of a reflection of the schools commitment to athletics overall. Winning cures all but when our athletes training table is a side room in a student cafeteria and schools like UCF have a stand alone building just for athletes it makes you question our schools commitment to athletics.

Someone else on here brought up TCU and Baylor. My cousin was TCU's Athletic Compliance Coordinator a few years back. They have something like a 170 Million football facility. They are committed to their athletics! They pay their coaches, they have a lot of support staff, etc.....it's very frustrating......

Advertisement
Blah blah blah. Our facilities are fine. Not great. Not elite. Fine. Plenty to land a top ten class(which we’ve done). Our problem is our AD head coach and BOT being ******* morons

Someone tell Blake and Julio that winning begets more revenue for things like this. Granted we are a private institution and can’t just get millions in the whim. This is the direction college football is heading and we are way behind.

Someday the specter that there are increasingly palatial, player-only facilities for college students who will be making hundreds of thousands...if not millions of dollars per year, while non athletes see their dorms remain as is and have to take on increasing student loan debt is going to provoke a political backlash.

That picture should be saved for a time capsule.

While I agree all this chit is a reflection of a school's commitment to/enthusiasm about athletics, I'm personally sick of even discussing it or slobbering over other schools' toys because it alone is essentially irrelevant to our actual issues. We absolutely can and have won with garbage facilities (which ours are not right now) and we don't need to continually have this debate to understand that the school's (AND the alumni's AND the fanbase's) overall commitment to athletics is lacking.

Advertisement
Ok… wireless cell phone charging is the key!! We get em in-locker wireless cellphone charging and we back!!

TCU AND Baylor are both private.
Baylor has a student population of 16k
Being private and not having a stadium and not putting money into athletics is a lie that’s been fed to us constantly.
I guarantee you that we sell more merch (or at least use to befor manny) than both of those schools and likely have better tv ratings.
This school has refused to invest in and cash into a gold mine of an opportunity that is the football team.
The amount of big money at Baylor is ungodly and that is coming from a Baptist school...lol.

Advertisement
In all my years of coaching HS ball I've never met a kid who actually cared about facilities.
Seems more like something that colleges use as bragging rights and/or to display their level of commitment to football.

I guess one could argue that it does show the school's level of commitment and dedication. Hard to disagree with that.
I've just never seen it be a factor in a kid's decision.

Howard Schnellenberger wanted Miami to build an on-campus stadium. Do you know better than Howard Schnellenberger?
That was 40 years ago. That was likely more possible then.
Right now tropical park is the only viable option imo. Its literally 3-4 miles from campus down Miller. It’s a huge waste of space right now. The enchanted forest isn’t even gonna be there anymore.
The problem like anything in Miami would be the politics, and the buddy system of builders and contractors that would bleed the project to death making it cost twice as much as projected.

Advertisement
Howard Schnellenberger wanted Miami to build an on-campus stadium. Do you know better than Howard Schnellenberger?
Yes. We have gone over this a thousand times. Exactly where are you going to put it? Take out the lake and destroy the campus? You cannot even get Coral Gables to allow us to put in the additional seats at the arena. It takes 30 minutes to go 4 miles on South Dixie Highway. People who want an on campus stadium in most cases have neither been to campus nor been to the Gables. You think the Gables is selling us Merrick Park? GTFOH.

Advertisement
Back