Facilities Arms Race

Advertisement
In all my years of coaching HS ball I've never met a kid who actually cared about facilities.
Seems more like something that colleges use as bragging rights and/or to display their level of commitment to football.

I guess one could argue that it does show the school's level of commitment and dedication. Hard to disagree with that.
I've just never seen it be a factor in a kid's decision.
I’m not gonna drop names but there was a father I met that went in a visit to an sec school with his son.
I asked him what impressed him the most about the visit and he said his son was there only to see one thing and that was practice.
He said the other players that were there really weren’t paying attention to the dorms and all that. They said they wanted to see who they would be playing with. Elite kids don’t want to play with scrubs.

This is why everything that’s going on right now is so fcked up. We keep bleeding recruits and it effects the other players wanting to come and to an extent the players already on the team.

Most these clowns have never been to campus.
They also don’t understand the city of coral gables.
The city where you need a permit even to paint the inside of your house.
The city that at one time made it illegal to park a pick up truck at your house.
So if you owned one it always had to be in the garage.
It’s like saying your gonna build a 55k football stadium in La Jolla, the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills and the residents are gonna be just fine with it.

As if the city of Coral Gables would allow that....imagine the traffic on Saturdays on US1...especially with only the Palmetto close by...
My kid loves Popeyes. Before the built or converted one next to campus it took him 30 minutes to go to close one off South Dixie. Can you imagine a 7 pm Thursday night game? Take 3 hours to get there and good luck finding a place to park.

Advertisement
That was 40 years ago. That was likely more possible then.
Right now tropical park is the only viable option imo. Its literally 3-4 miles from campus down Miller. It’s a huge waste of space right now. The enchanted forest isn’t even gonna be there anymore.
The problem like anything in Miami would be the politics, and the buddy system of builders and contractors that would bleed the project to death making it cost twice as much as projected.
Schnell wanted Tropical,, he knew back then nothing would happen on campus..

They also don’t understand the city of coral gables.
The city where you need a permit even to paint the inside of your house.
The city that at one time made it illegal to park a pick up truck at your house.
So if you owned one it always had to be in the garage.
It’s like saying your gonna build a 55k football stadium in La Jolla, the Hamptons, or Beverly Hills and the residents are gonna be just fine with it.
Coral Gables will never be mistaken for La Jolla or the Hamptons..

Coral Gables will never be mistaken for La Jolla or the Hamptons..
Just a little bit of an exaggeration to make my point. I love Miami. But if your gonna give me a house in coral gables or La Jolla…….
1634054943582.gif

Advertisement
Right now tropical park is the only viable option imo. Its literally 3-4 miles from campus down Miller. It’s a huge waste of space right now. The enchanted forest isn’t even gonna be there anymore.
The problem like anything in Miami would be the politics, and the buddy system of builders and contractors that would bleed the project to death making it cost twice as much as projected.
Whether Miami is playing 4 miles away, or 40 miles away, we are still playing off campus. It's beyond stupid to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium that is still 4 miles from campus, when we have access to a world class facility as is. Never mind the fact that a lot of our fans would not be served by moving to Tropical, because a bulk of our local alumni live in Broward.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium closer, just so maybe a couple of thousand students show up is beyond insane. Take that money and upgrade the Schwartz Center. Take that money and throw it at Urban Meyer or another high end coach. You'd still be saving money and frustration. Never mind the fact that you know full well the school will have to fight to get the funding. You saw how much of a struggle it was to get an IPF built.

We have the **** ex-mayor's son as head coach and we still can't get the **** done lol.

I don't disagree with a word you've said, I just take the position that as a fan, none of that is my problem. It's not up to me to navigate the political waters of Miami/Dade. But I can point out that it's ******* ridiculous that a storied program like ours is renting a **** teal field in Miami Gardens. It's a black mark on the admin and the school leadership that after all these years, they haven't been able to get a **** stadium built and we have to rent like a bunch of paupers.

Where tf are you gonna fit a 55,000-65,000 seat Stadium on a campus that's only 220 acres??

Not my problem. I'm a fan, not a **** construction worker. Build it off campus then. Build it at Tropical Park. Tear down Marlins Field and build it at the old OB site. I don't give a **** about the logistics, I only care that we're a 5x national champion and we don't have our own **** field. That's ridiculous.

It's the admin's job to figure out the rest.

Not my problem. I'm a fan, not a **** construction worker. Build it off campus then. Build it at Tropical Park. Tear down Marlins Field and build it at the old OB site. I don't give a **** about the logistics, I only care that we're a 5x national champion and we don't have our own **** field. That's ridiculous.

It's the admin's job to figure out the rest.
Will never happen

Advertisement
The OP is not about “facilities.” I feel like some fans get so sensitive & defensive. The OP is referring to when u win, nice things come along. I can unequivocally tell you Bama didn’t have all this chit until Saban came there & donations literally flooded for not only the AD, but the whole school. As I mentioned in another thread, one of my client’s granddaughter attends Bama. She said it’s like Vegas there, meaning some construction is always going on to give the campus a face lift.

The entire AD has been committed to winning, not just the FB program. The reason y Blake has to “beg” for donations is b/c we’re not winning. Ppl want to be associated w/ winning programs. Our facilities would probably not be on this level, but I can almost guarantee u that if we had a competent AD, and we were still the Miami of old, in today’s spectrum of collegiate sports, we would have some of the top facilities in the country b/c $$$ would flow in from boosters, sponsors, TV contracts, endorsements.
Bold, underlined, and enlarged so people can see the point.

As if the city of Coral Gables would allow that....imagine the traffic on Saturdays on US1...especially with only the Palmetto close by...
Most these clowns have never been to campus. My son was ****ed because they are jamming a new science building. At least they kept the fountain but it is now pretty tight
Alums and fans alike should band together for a fund to buy out more properties and land around the school, but this still would never be enough for a stadium. It would just alleviate some of the space issues with the campus itself.

Campus is too cramped.

Advertisement
Alums and fans alike should band together for a fund to buy out more properties and land around the school, but this still would never be enough for a stadium. It would just alleviate some of the space issues with the campus itself.

Campus is too cramped.
Again, for the 5,000th time...Coral Gables will NEVER let that happen regardless of the circumstances...They couldn't care less about UMs FB program at all....The CGs Old School Money ain't budging....

This is a race we can't win (or even be competitive), move on and get over it.
I don't even want to be competitive in that race.

Imagine needing a reclining chair in the locker room. Getthe****outtahere. Clemson have a ******* slide in their facility.

Jon Gruden said it best, bunch of ***gots.

Advertisement
Back