Facilities Arms Race

The OP is not about “facilities.” I feel like some fans get so sensitive & defensive. The OP is referring to when u win, nice things come along. I can unequivocally tell you Bama didn’t have all this chit until Saban came there & donations literally flooded for not only the AD, but the whole school. As I mentioned in another thread, one of my client’s granddaughter attends Bama. She said it’s like Vegas there, meaning some construction is always going on to give the campus a face lift.

The entire AD has been committed to winning, not just the FB program. The reason y Blake has to “beg” for donations is b/c we’re not winning. Ppl want to be associated w/ winning programs. Our facilities would probably not be on this level, but I can almost guarantee u that if we had a competent AD, and we were still the Miami of old, in today’s spectrum of collegiate sports, we would have some of the top facilities in the country b/c $$$ would flow in from boosters, sponsors, TV contracts, endorsements.
Both Vegas and the Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa are surrounded by miles and miles of inhospitable terrain. Smart granddaughter.

Advertisement
Alums and fans alike should band together for a fund to buy out more properties and land around the school, but this still would never be enough for a stadium. It would just alleviate some of the space issues with the campus itself.

Campus is too cramped.
You have millions to throw around? Exactly. The off campus house I lived in through undergrad and law school is worth around one million dollars. It wasn't a mansion, it was just a duplex. Now imagine buying 20-30 of those houses. You would need to buy dozens in order to have enough room to expand campus...

Just a little bit of an exaggeration to make my point. I love Miami. But if your gonna give me a house in coral gables or La Jolla…….
View attachment 157672
I was born on the UM campus!
The old Doctors Hospital.
Lived in the Gables, Granada Dr, S. of Dixie.
Stringent Building Codes?
75% of the Gables is overcrowded urban sprawl.
If UM wanted a Stadium, give LABA the contract, spec, etc. They will spread the grease, expertly.
Never heard of anyone, City, Country, Admin. that really pushed for on cam stadium.
I thought the Orange Bowl was fine..

Whether Miami is playing 4 miles away, or 40 miles away, we are still playing off campus. It's beyond stupid to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium that is still 4 miles from campus, when we have access to a world class facility as is. Never mind the fact that a lot of our fans would not be served by moving to Tropical, because a bulk of our local alumni live in Broward.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium closer, just so maybe a couple of thousand students show up is beyond insane. Take that money and upgrade the Schwartz Center. Take that money and throw it at Urban Meyer or another high end coach. You'd still be saving money and frustration. Never mind the fact that you know full well the school will have to fight to get the funding. You saw how much of a struggle it was to get an IPF built.
I totally agree. The problem with hard rock is that it puts no pressure on the department to win.
It’s very expensive to make and maintain and make a stadium profitable. The fact that the dolphins do all the heavy lifting and benefit from other events like concerts makes it even more of a head scratcher on why they refuse to spend money.
I have always been a proponent of not having a stadium because hard rock when 80-90 percent capacity is an awesome place to play as well as watch the game. The freeway access and accessibility to both counties is great.
But just like we are being taken advantage of, so is not having a stadium budget.
If you really want a ****ed off bot that will get rid of incompetence your gonna have to have a stadium that bleeds money cause the team sucks. The bot is gonna demand asses in those seats. Something they haven’t given a sht about at all.

If UM wanted a Stadium, give LABA the contract, spec, etc. They will spread the grease, expertly.
Never heard of anyone, City, Country, Admin. that really pushed for on cam stadium.
They probably never approached it cause the school doesn’t want it.
Also the traffic and accessibility to the stadium, the parking space, the lack of tailgate space.
Idk about commercial properties but some of the people I’ve worked with have told me that even the wrong landscaping can get you cited. I had a coworker who had his uncle install tile in his house and he got cited cause he didn’t ask the city for approval of the tile.

Advertisement
The only ones complaining about an on campus stadium are the ones who have no idea what the campus or Coral Gables or even Miami really look like. They need to open up Google Maps before posting. There isn't the room. Even if you were to put it in Tropical Park, it would be a small stadium with limited parking. I guarantee it would not have stadium seats, tons of concessions and plenty of room for tailgating. Oh, and you'd still need to take a bus from campus so the 35 students who actually go to games would have a shorter ride and everyone north of Hard Rock would ask why they bother going.

If you think the stadium is empty now, wait until the Golden Canes don't have their luxury boxes to party in during the game. Then watch the donations dry up.

Whether Miami is playing 4 miles away, or 40 miles away, we are still playing off campus. It's beyond stupid to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium that is still 4 miles from campus, when we have access to a world class facility as is. Never mind the fact that a lot of our fans would not be served by moving to Tropical, because a bulk of our local alumni live in Broward.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium closer, just so maybe a couple of thousand students show up is beyond insane. Take that money and upgrade the Schwartz Center. Take that money and throw it at Urban Meyer or another high end coach. You'd still be saving money and frustration. Never mind the fact that you know full well the school will have to fight to get the funding. You saw how much of a struggle it was to get an IPF built.
You cannot even fill the student section at Watsco and it is a 200 yard walk from the towers to the front entrance.

The only ones complaining about an on campus stadium are the ones who have no idea what the campus or Coral Gables or even Miami really look like. They need to open up Google Maps before posting. There isn't the room. Even if you were to put it in Tropical Park, it would be a small stadium with limited parking. I guarantee it would not have stadium seats, tons of concessions and plenty of room for tailgating. Oh, and you'd still need to take a bus from campus so the 35 students who actually go to games would have a shorter ride and everyone north of Hard Rock would ask why they bother going.

If you think the stadium is empty now, wait until the Golden Canes don't have their luxury boxes to party in during the game. Then watch the donations dry up.
Imagine getting off 826 at Ludlam or Miller Road and what a disaster that would be trying to get into Tropical Park.

Let me guess, you haven't been in the Gables recently. That urban sprawl is expensive. Never mind the fact that the City has a rocky relationship with the University. Ever wonder why the Watsco Center only seats 8,000? The City refuses to let the University complete the seating bowl. Hence why there are rows of concrete, but no seats.

To build a 50k seat stadium, you would need the City to go along, you'd need them to help with infrastructure improvements and that's not happening.

Advertisement

Spot on.

I lived right by Tropical Park for a year, just a few blocks east of the Palmetto.

Tropical Park is hardly a gigantic parcel, has brutal traffic, and is not convenient.

Unrealistic and not an improvement over the current situation.

Now that I know we're spending $$$ I've been semi-addicted to this channel. I'm especially interested in this one as it's Oregon of course.

This is what Mario left to take the Miami job. This is the investment he's accustomed to, and I think it's reasonable to think he was assured of something similar at Miami.

Last edited:
Now that I know we're spending $$$ I've been semi-addicted to this channel. I'm especially interested in this one as it's Oregon of course.

This is what Mario left to take the Miami. This is the investment he's accustomed to, and I think it's reasonable to think he was assured of something similar at Miami.

I can’t wait to see our completed facilities in a few years it’s going to be crazy

Advertisement

This is what Mario left to take the Miami job. This is the investment he's accustomed to, and I think it's reasonable to think he was assured of something similar at Miami.

Facilities not w/standing; did u hear my guy say he’s like the GM of football for Oregon? Yet, we had ppl ?ing hiring him in such a capacity.

Advertisement
The one good thing about awaiting this long to make updates.. we’ll have the latest and greatest technology and designs lol

Last edited:
Our **** better be like this for everyone on scholarship.

km_20220227_1080p(1)_1.gif

Advertisement
Back