Eye opening quote from Mallory

SIAP but has a lot to with outrage culture that’s prevalent in today’s society, i.e. “ewwww this famous person supports this controversial person or thing or has this stance I don’t agree with, they’re cancelled!”

Perks of living in a “progressive” society lol

Like all the guys that stopped watching the NFL and burned their tickets because players rallied around kap?

Advertisement
There is something to be said for simplifying an offense to the point where your players are not thinking so much as they are just doing. Only hope is that with the limited formations we don't get to predictable with our calls. Looking at SMU last year and that never seemed to be the case but just something I will be interested to see.

I like having a small base of plays you can run across multiple formations. You can build ripples and counters to them over time.

When you do it right and stay ahead of the chains, teams can’t cheat because of down and distance.

Making defenses have to actually read the play instead of jumping all over your predictable tendencies can make all the difference in developing the confidence of an offense and gaining momentum.

Exactly. If you play at the pace Lashlee plays at you can’t be all that complex. You get lined up and snap the ball within 15 seconds.

You know who else can’t be very complex at that pace? The opposing defense. It’s simple v. simple at that point and it’ll come down to getting the ball out to playmakers in space.

If you can execute a certain amount of plays consistently, create a foundation you can always count on to be productive, you can then run counters off those plays -- then when you add tempo to it, you can flat out wear teams out. And I've always thought a fast game in the heat of Miami could be lethal if you have enough talent to work with

But for now, I just want an offense that can routinely get the ball out quickly, and get guys in space, and move the chains consistently. Create a fun product that recruits will want to play in. To me, that's step one

There is a reason why college spread quarterbacks struggled once they got to the NFL and not just because they were run first/pass second guys. Just simplier concepts and route trees are run in college as compared to NFL pro set and multiple set offenses. I remember just a play call language and concepts at Auburn when Cam Newton was there were very simple. With the NFL, language and sequencing and calling multiple plays in the huddle or at the line is insane. Not that has gone away but the NFL has adjusted to the kids coming out of college and run more college spread concepts.

To your point, when Richt went uptempo, mostly because we were struggling, we seemed to move the ball much more efficiently. All of this is remarkable because when he was young he had modified his entire offensive concept midseason in 1992 for Charlie Ward.

Anyway back to Lashlee, this is great news conceptually.

I will say to to the day I die, if Richt goes with an up-tempo, spread offense for the whole 2016 season with Kaaya, they win a couple more games. Watch that Pitt game after that 4 game losing skid..

In other words, what we watched for some time now. If you sat around me at games, as the game would go on, you'd hear pure frustration. As one play ended, I'd look over at Richt or Enos and it'd be like "wtf are you doing, go!" Then there'd be a legit 15-20 seconds before the play got in. Holy **** would that flip me out. I mean, people get paid in the millions to do this. We're not ripping on a HS coach or some peewee league coach who has to process what's going on. The Gator game, I had people telling me "Jarren just isn't ready, man, take it easy!" Except we now know that to be at least partly bull****. Plays would just take freakin' forever.

we played some of the most boring football around the past decade, honestly, as everyone went to Wifi, UM was still loading up the internet with some AOL disk with 50 free hours. Miami was THAT behind the times offensively

Advertisement
If you can execute a certain amount of plays consistently, create a foundation you can always count on to be productive, you can then run counters off those plays -- then when you add tempo to it, you can flat out wear teams out. And I've always thought a fast game in the heat of Miami could be lethal if you have enough talent to work with

But for now, I just want an offense that can routinely get the ball out quickly, and get guys in space, and move the chains consistently (and that's another thing, having more plays offensive overall, will help wear teams out and make the most routine plays become more effective late in games, fatigue makes cowards of us all, as they say). Create a fun product that recruits will want to play in. To me, that's step one

This is a byproduct of pace. The problem with Richt was that he was simple without pace.

I am pretty sure Richts first two years he ran what most would call 'tempo'. I do remember a lot of no huddle. Was this not the case or?

We all can see Enos was very slow, lots of shifting etc.. until the players forgot where to go and there that went.

I am just excited. Thats all. I want wins.

You lost me at Cosby . But the rest are legends as is Chapelle .

Regardless of his reprehensible (a punished) rape behavior, Cosby's "Himself" special is considered one of the all time funniest sets. Right there with Pryor's "Live from Sunset Strip" and of course Murphy's "Delerious".

Predictable isn't a problem if you can exert your will through better athleticism. Not saying we're at that point, but predictability isn't necessarily the crux of the issue.
You’ve gotta be a whole lot better than your opponent to be able to beat them even if they know what you’re going to do. I just think back to that Pinstripe Bowl where the Wisconsin DBs knew what routes we were going to run just by seeing the formation. Not only that, they knew what the options on the routes were so they could goad the Miami receivers into thinking the coverage was going to be a certain type and then jump the pass they knew was coming.

Advertisement
I am pretty sure Richts first two years he ran what most would call 'tempo'. I do remember a lot of no huddle. Was this not the case or?

We all can see Enos was very slow, lots of shifting etc.. until the players forgot where to go and there that went.

I am just excited. Thats all. I want wins.
Richt would attempt to go no huddle at certain times but he wasn’t running a full on no huddle offense. A lot of the stuff he was trying to do is more in tune with modern offensive football, he was just hindered by his own lack of knowledge, especially in passing concepts. He had nobody on his offensive staff that could help him either since he hired a bunch of friends and family who had zero experience calling ANY kind of offense.

You’ve gotta be a whole lot better than your opponent to be able to beat them even if they know what you’re going to do. I just think back to that Pinstripe Bowl where the Wisconsin DBs knew what routes we were going to run just by seeing the formation. Not only that, they knew what the options on the routes were so they could goad the Miami receivers into thinking the coverage was going to be a certain type and then jump the pass they knew was coming.

Yes, and the best teams do that year-in, year-out. Dominate on the lines and you can usually do anything you want.

Yes, and the best teams do that year-in, year-out. Dominate on the lines and you can usually do anything you want.
Maybe against FCS teams or really bad FBS teams but even the best teams in college football can’t just tell their opponent “I’m going to do this” and win games. I mean teams put in hours of film study to try to pick up tendencies to give them a hint at what the opponent is trying to do. Eventually you have to play someone who’s similar in talent.

Advertisement
Maybe against FCS teams or really bad FBS teams but even the best teams in college football can’t just tell their opponent “I’m going to do this” and win games. I mean teams put in hours of film study to try to pick up tendencies to give them a hint at what the opponent is trying to do. Eventually you have to play someone who’s similar in talent.

Yes, that's what I meant. Against teams where there is a significant talent gap and you can win simply on physicality and execution.

Hopefully defenses wont have same ability. Seemed last year our plays were being called from other teams huddle.
Defenses can't adjust because they don't have enough time to disect the play. When you factor in fatigue, the defense will make mistakes leaving gaping holes and WRs wide open.

Even in close games I expect the opposing defense to wear out. Mentally and physically wore out by the end of the 3rd quarter.

The good news is this will help our defense to be in better condition and prepare for othe teams that play uptempo.

Last edited:
Plays per game:

2016- 106th
2017- 104th
2018- 116th

Last year with Enos we were 91st. Lashlee was 3rd.
Yes. The design of the offense is to wear down the opponent. Physical and mental fatigue will provide plenty of opportunities for the offense to make big plays.

Imagine a coach making his team run gassers, then tells them to line up against the offense for a series. There would be all types bad technique, slow reaction, incorrect alignment, and missed assignments providing opportunities for the offense.

This is the modern warfare of football. Weaken your opponent, then crush him.

Advertisement
Defenses can't adjust because they don't have enough time to disect the play. When you factor in fatigue, the defense will make mistakes leaving gaping holes and WRs wide open.

Even in close games I expect the defense to ware out. Mentally and physically wore out by the end of the 3rd quarter.

The good news is this will help our defense to be in better condition and prepare for othe teams that play uptempo.
Conditioning wasnt an issue to me last year. But when our team has 3 and outs 75% of the game no team can endure that.

Eh, whatever, I'll miss our Wikipedia armband pages flailing around.

miami-jarren-williams-transfer.jpg
Someone copied and enlarged.......broke the code and made us pay...

Advertisement
Back