Eye opening quote from Mallory

Advertisement
There is something to be said for simplifying an offense to the point where your players are not thinking so much as they are just doing. Only hope is that with the limited formations we don't get to predictable with our calls. Looking at SMU last year and that never seemed to be the case but just something I will be interested to see.

Advertisement
There is something to be said for simplifying an offense to the point where your players are not thinking so much as they are just doing. Only hope is that with the limited formations we don't get to predictable with our calls. Looking at SMU last year and that never seemed to be the case but just something I will be interested to see.
Maybe it’s simple now, you need a foundation to build off of.
Especially when installing a new offense in spring

If it wasn't the case at SMU no reason to think it'll be more predictable here. If any D coordinator does a good job of figuring out Lashlee's tendencies I think he's good enough to make adjustments but we'll see.

Advertisement
Except against FAU.

If it wasn't the case at SMU no reason to think it'll be more predictable here. If any D coordinator does a good job of figuring out Lashlee's tendencies I think he's good enough to make adjustments but we'll see.
I would tend to agree, my only worry is that with the change in conference and theoretically "Better" coaching, maybe they catch on quicker. I'm not saying it will happen but anytime I hear players start talking about how easy things are I get a little weary. Probably won't be a big deal as Lashlee has coached at higher levels as well and had successes but still, just something I'll be curious to see.

"Complex" formations and play calling are a touch overrated. Per the rule sets, there are only so many ways a team can come to the LoS and snap the ball to start a play.

Same thing with "exotic" blitz packages.

Laughable.

Agree... we did not need all that crazy motion and entire formation reconfigure either. Send a RB out wide, call him back in, you will be able to tell Zone or Man. Don't need all that extra ish.

Exotic looks on D I think have more of a benefit. Also, if we can run 25 different plays out of each individual formation, I believe that is harder for a D to figure out than having a bunch of different formations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is a byproduct of pace. The problem with Richt was that he was simple without pace.
There’s a difference between simple and predictable. Richt’s offense was so watered down, it resembled a JV high school playbook. I’m of the opinion that he was trying to do what Lashlee does but he didn’t know how to and had nobody on staff to help him.

Advertisement
Back