Eye opening quote from Mallory

This is a byproduct of pace. The problem with Richt was that he was simple without pace.
Yup all the super fast teams were very simple (oregon, Auburn, Baylor, etc.) back in day.. they beat u wit executing better than u, deceptiveness (term u would hear on tv broadcast is window dressing) fatigue which leads to mental mistakes and also to a point catching many dc with being avant garde.. it was difficult when u play one team that does all those things and to practice against it to simulate it..

The dc and defenses have caught up in recent years spread/pace doesn't have as much effect but the fundamentals are still sound and for an oc to continue to evolve is paramount (lashlee separating from what he always know to fuse run game with air raid passing principles ) can only help.. few teams run true HUNH tho.. so that should still help

Advertisement
This is a byproduct of pace. The problem with Richt was that he was simple without pace.

Exactly. If you play at the pace Lashlee plays at you can’t be all that complex. You get lined up and snap the ball within 15 seconds.

You know who else can’t be very complex at that pace? The opposing defense. It’s simple v. simple at that point and it’ll come down to getting the ball out to playmakers in space.

Give me simple and playing lightning fast over complex and bogged down in thought. Spread em out, snap the ball, and get the ball to the playmakers. If you’re trying too hard to confuse the defense you’ll likely be confusing your own guys in the process.
Well said, Chise. The Whipple Bible of Plays being a great example of that.

Probably, yes. That’s pretty much how QBs tell the center they’re ready for the snap in modern football. It’s not some strange phenomenon. Every team does that.
I know, man, it's was just jokes. I won't lie though, I hated the really pronounced clap as well as the Trapper Keeper-sized play list flapping off Jarren's wrist all season.

Advertisement
Give me simple and playing lightning fast over complex and bogged down in thought. Spread em out, snap the ball, and get the ball to the playmakers. If you’re trying too hard to confuse the defense you’ll likely be confusing your own guys in the process.
Especially when your QB is a twice baked potato.

Advertisement
That's empty calories. FAU stomped SMU 52-28, minus their HC and 4 starters.

Troubling for sure...

However, in today's CFBPO world, if you aren't in the tourney, players don't care about whatever bowl they are in. NY6 to OxyClean Bowl played in Addis Abbaba--no one cares.

Not only does simple O vs a simple D (byproduct of tempo) benefit the QB in his reads but our OL desperately needs every advantage they can get

As long as we aren’t predictable. “Play-calling” matters.

The Minnesota coach actually preaches simplicity - and he’s a **** good Coach. Master what you do. Master it. And simply adjust according to the look you’re getting.

Go fast. Execute. It will look complex (“great design”) if we’ve mastered the approach (when it’s called, how often, where on the field, against what look).

Advertisement
Agreed... Think this was Enos offense's problem

Exactly. If you play at the pace Lashlee plays at you can’t be all that complex. You get lined up and snap the ball within 15 seconds.

You know who else can’t be very complex at that pace? The opposing defense. It’s simple v. simple at that point and it’ll come down to getting the ball out to playmakers in space.

Agreed. I think the great challenge will be against a staff like Clemson - with personnel like Clemson’s. At which time - adjustments & play-calling play a huge part in the outcome. Because their DC doesn’t go simple vs tempo. He still brings the noise.

But - I absolutely agree with your point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back