Eye opening quote from Mallory

Advertisement
Eh, whatever, I'll miss our Wikipedia armband pages flailing around.

miami-jarren-williams-transfer.jpg

See the source image

didn't seem to hurt this guy

Advertisement
If you could sum up the Enos offense in one photo, this would be it. two wide receivers at the top of the screen being covered by one guy but we can't switch out of the run play that was called because the play clock is at 2.
Jarren would have switched to a Hail Mary anyway, only to try to run it himself.

I think a faster pace allows for more flexibility. If you're lined up with a ton of time on the play clock, the OC can always "check with me" and change the play. When you're breaking the huddle at 15 seconds by the time you're lined up and ready to run the play, there's no time left to change anything. We've got a play called right into the teeth of what the defense is showing? Oh well, no time to change it, just run it and pray.
In other words, what we watched for some time now. If you sat around me at games, as the game would go on, you'd hear pure frustration. As one play ended, I'd look over at Richt or Enos and it'd be like "wtf are you doing, go!" Then there'd be a legit 15-20 seconds before the play got in. Holy **** would that flip me out. I mean, people get paid in the millions to do this. We're not ripping on a HS coach or some peewee league coach who has to process what's going on. The Gator game, I had people telling me "Jarren just isn't ready, man, take it easy!" Except we now know that to be at least partly bull****. Plays would just take freakin' forever.

Advertisement
There’s a difference between simple and predictable. Richt’s offense was so watered down, it resembled a JV high school playbook. I’m of the opinion that he was trying to do what Lashlee does but he didn’t know how to and had nobody on staff to help him.

THIS

If you don’t like simple you don’t like Air Raid. Simplicity is the driving force of it all.

This isn’t the same slow plodding predictable Richt offense with mirrored concepts all over the place.

The concepts we’ll be using have been lighting up score boards today, not 20 years ago.

Last edited:
This is a byproduct of pace. The problem with Richt was that he was simple without pace.

Good point. I just know as an Auburn guy one of the things that drives me crazy at times with Malzahn is he can be simple and predictable. Again, not trying to be the debbie downer of the offseason. Just wanted to mention that I am curious to see how it all shakes out.

Advertisement
Who cares about formations. How many plays can you run out of them and how quickly? That's all we should be concerned with.

Advertisement
Pryor, Murphy then Chappelle.

I absolutely LOVE Chapelle but the first two were something we may never see again.
Agreed in that Pryor paved the way for Murphy who opened the door for countless black comedians.
But Chapelle has a different and unique slant. More politics than his predecessors, and more societal observations than Murphy. Loved them all for different reasons.
And if you get a chance, look up Pryor's bit on a wino running into a vampire. Outrageous.

Good point. I just know as an Auburn guy one of the things that drives me crazy at times with Malzahn is he can be simple and predictable. Again, not trying to be the debbie downer of the offseason. Just wanted to mention that I am curious to see how it all shakes out.
This is true, thats why it was good Lashlee struck out on his own to learn the Air Raid passing concepts from one of the OGs, that combined with the Malzahn run game seemed to pay great dividends for SMU. When you include a weapon like King as a chess piece I think the offense should be able to run smoothly. I think Malzahns offenses, like most struggled when he didnt have right qb for his system. When he did the results speak for themselves. Dude took a former cb at qb to championship.

Advertisement
Back