Expectations for Zion

Advertisement
Not so sure, Zion is a good pass protector but was average in the run game, it would be battle between Nelson and rovers for the job and the competition will do them both good.
Well I'm pretty sure. Here's the bottom line, we are set at guard with Cooper and Cohen. That means Rivers would be competing DIRECTLY with Zion.

And as I've said several times on this board, a healthy Zion is MUCH better TACKLE than Rivers. Rivers is a guard all the way in my eyes.

Well I'm pretty sure. Here's the bottom line, we are set at guard with Cooper and Cohen. That means Rivers would be competing DIRECTLY with Zion.

And as I've said several times on this board, a healthy Zion is MUCH better TACKLE than Rivers. Rivers is a guard all the way in my eyes.

Agree 100%. If the spring taught us anything is that rivers is not the answer at LT. Zion HAS to come back healthy for us to be successful for the TVD to stay upright. Rivers was ok at LT but he struggled vs speed. Can he improve? Sure but it’s clear he’s not our LT. Ideally, Zion and Francis are the tackles and then rivers, coop, cohen are the guards. Beyond that, it will be interesting to see how they rotate Samson and McCoy because those guys are tackles. Kinsler is a guard.

Last edited:
Not if Zion is healthy.
From all that I hear ... especially from one guy that is fairly close to the situations ... the likelihood of Zion playing this year is very, very low. His issue is his body's ability for soft tissue and nerve endings to heal and it hasn't gone well. The comment has been that at this point nobody knows if his knee will heal sufficiently for him to resume football activities. At least in the case of Citizen there is a timeline ... "doubtful he will play in 2023 but should be full go for 2024". Not the case for Zion ... nobody actually knows how his healing process will go. So far it hasn't gone well enough.

Advertisement
The biggest takeaway from the week is, unfortunately, the status of Nelson. Once thought to be a potential first-round pick in the NFL Draft, Nelson played in just one game last year after getting knee surgery before the season and still won’t be ready for the start of fall camp Tuesday. What was thought to be a relatively minor procedure has turned into a multiyear issue.

The biggest takeaway from the week is, unfortunately, the status of Nelson. Once thought to be a potential first-round pick in the NFL Draft, Nelson played in just one game last year after getting knee surgery before the season and still won’t be ready for the start of fall camp Tuesday. What was thought to be a relatively minor procedure has turned into a multiyear issue.
What in the absolute ****? Will this guy ever play football for us again?

Where is this from

Advertisement
A bit deflating to learn that Zion isn't ready.

Assuming for a moment that Zion won't play in 2023....

what do we think of this depth chart heading into camp?

OT Rivers, Mauigoa, Okunlola, McCoy, Washington, Tinilau

OG Cohen, Cooper, Sagapolu, Denis, Seymore, Kinsler

C Lee, Rodriguez, Tripp

Cooper and Kinsler played OT in high school

Denis lined up at OT some at Oregon

They really did chop his leg off at the knee, huh? ****, we need him this at the start of this season to be 100%

A bit deflating to learn that Zion isn't ready.

Assuming for a moment that Zion won't play in 2023....

what do we think of this depth chart heading into camp?

OT Rivers, Mauigoa, Okunlola, McCoy, Washington, Tinilau

OG Cohen, Cooper, Sagapolu, Denis, Seymore, Kinsler

C Lee, Rodriguez, Tripp

Cooper and Kinsler played OT in high school

Denis lined up at OT some at Oregon
Could possibly be starting two true freshman at T come week 1. I know they are 5 stars but this isn't ideal.

Or you go Francis, Cohen, Lee, Rivers, McCoy.

I don't remember how Rivers did at T.

Advertisement
Was noticeable that neither Mario nor Matt Lee mentioned Zion when talking about guys coming back from injury on the OL

Advertisement
Might really be a nerve issue, his knee probably isn’t healing. Unfortunate for him, could seriously alter his football career after he worked himself into a nfl player

Advertisement
Back