Expectations for this season?

Advertisement
We won 3 ACC games last year. Bethune and Southern Miss barely count as wins. UVA took a 4 OT no touchdown miracle to eek out. We were that close to 4-8. GT and VT weren’t exactly pretty.

Do not do this to yourselves.

I would be over the f***ing moon with 8 wins but it would take enormous culture shift and on field improvement. Talent level was/is not the the sole reason we lose games. Duke and MTSU beat the living **** out of us. It had nothing to do with holes on the roster.

We’ve added mostly injured or G5 and below portal players and think that’s worth 3 more wins? I’ll believe it when I see it. Hope ya’ll are right!
👆This man speaks no lies.

Above remains in the conversation until our Canes prove otherwise.

Not so worried about record, although I'd hope for 7 wins at the least. I expect to see competent players making minimal mistakes, missing less tackles, and making more catches. I expect to watch a team that plays with effort and discipline. I expect DBs to turn their heads and look for balls. I expect WRs to make contested catches. I expect our QBs to go through their progressions and be given the time to do so. I expect intelligent game management. I expect that we out scheme our opponents to overcome talent deficits. I expect our conditioning to be better than our opponents. In all, I expect a completely different experience than the last twenty years, and last year especially.

Just to note, this isn't what I think will happen, but they're my expectations.

Advertisement
This is a long post so apologies in advance, TLDR version is 8-4.

This might sound funny at first, but I’d feel better about 8 wins if we close on Andre Sam. His versatility is that important to a team that could experience a significant drop off in the back end if a starter gets hurt. Plus his familiarity with the scheme would be undoubtedly beneficial with communication.

Probably would have leaned the under prior to a fair amount of these portal acquisitions. However, I also think a lot of you are over-estimating the quality of our opponents from the ACC through the lens of a 2022 Miami team, while this year’s squad that will look and operate very differently. The schedule sets up well for a nice three-game winning streak following the A&M game, should we drop that contest. I think this could be a crucial point in the season in order to maintain confidence early following a loss. If we beat A&M, even better. I see no reason to not start 5-0 if we pull out an upset at Hardrock.

Looking at our opponents from a season total win perspective:

Miami Ohio: 6.5
Texas A&M: 7.5
Bethune: N/A
Temple: 4.5
Georgia Tech: 4.5
North Carolina: 8.5
Clemson: 9.5
Virginia: 3.5
North Carolina State: 6.5
FSU: 10
Louisville: 8
Boston College: 5.5

How we stack up in the ACC based on win totals (teams with same # arranged via probability to go over expected number)

Miami: 7.5
North Carolina St: 6.5
Pittsburgh: 6.5
Syracuse: 6.5
Duke: 6.5
Wake Forest: 6
Virginia Tech: 5

Lastly, returning total production numbers from ACC teams. Parenthetical represents where they sit nationally, bolded teams are our 2023 conference opponents.

FSU: 87% (No. 1)
- Offense | 80% (No. 12)
- Defense | 94% (No. 2)

Boston College: 78% (No. 8)
- Offense | 78% (No. 17)
- Defense | 79% (No. 13)

Syracuse: 73% (No. 24)
- Offense | 73% (No. 39)
- Defense | 72% (No. 33)

Duke: 71% (No. 33)
- Offense | 82% (No. 9)
- Defense | 60% (No. 73)

Miami: 70% (No.35)
- Offense | 62% (No. 82)
- Defense | 77% (No. 18)

Clemson: 69% (No.36)
- Offense | 64% (No. 73)
- Defense | 75% (No. 23)

Virginia Tech: 69% (No.38)
- Offense | 73% (No. 41)
- Defense | 65% (No. 59)

North Carolina: 68% (No. 43)
- Offense | 69% (No. 53)
- Defense | 68% (No. 47)

Georgia Tech: 67% (No. 47)
- Offense | 69% (No. 55)
- Defense | 66% (No. 54)

NC State: 56% (No. 98)
- Offense | 62% (No. 77)
- Defense | 49% (No. 104)

Louisville: 56% (No. 99)
- Offense | 61% (No. 85)
- Defense | 50% (No. 100)

Wake Forest: 52% (No. 112)
- Offense | 46% (No. 117)
-Defense | 59% (No. 75)

Virginia: 52% (No.116)
- Offense | 40% (No. 123)
- Defense | 64% (No. 63)

Pittsburgh: 51% (No. 119)
- Offense | 52% (No. 106)
- Defense | 49% (No. 106)

I group it as follows:

80% or better we win
- Bethune, Temple, The other Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia

60-79.9%
- Boston College

True Toss-Ups
- Louisville, North Carolina, North Carolina State

35% or less
- Texas A&M, Clemson, FSU

As evidenced above, GT and UVA aren’t going to be good. Everyone likes to point to the fact UVA almost beat us, but the offensive scheme and players behind it are completely different. That point is mute imo.

I think 8-4 is pretty reasonable. Take the first six in the above groupings, then two of the last six. BC is tricky post Thanksgiving, but they should be pretty crappy and as long as we don’t quit on the season or have copious amounts of injuries, we should be fine. 8-4 would also be a 3-win improvement, which would be certainly enough for recruiting purposes as well as indicate a positive trajectory.

I think 7-5 is a little more likely than 9-3, but I expect to be competitive night in and out. 7-5 would be a little disappointing to me after the past 2 months of coaching and player additions.

Last edited:
9-3 regular season, improving and playing their best at the end of the season. Offense putting up points, helping an improved defense.

Win Coastal but lose ACCCG to Clemson. Close, tight game, though.

Win bowl game.

10-4 final
Can't win the Coastal ... no longer exists. As of 2023 the divisions have been eliminated. ACCCG is between top two teams period.

8-4. Been burned too many times to say 9-3. Can reevaluate during the season, but there’s enough added personnel to get us to 9 wins if we do what we need to and get some luck.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

View attachment 238390

7Wwv.gif
This would be a massive improvement, people would still lose their minds but we’d be trending in the right direction.

Go compare last years roster with this years. Look at the Fr class and portal additions. On top of that the OC / scheme is dramatically different. Last year means nothing because majority of this team / coaches have changed. And that’s coming from a guy who was kinda down on the team / roster in 22
I hear ya and hope you’re right, Crib.

I see a roster littered with players trying to return from injury, learning new schemes, and playing major college ball for the first time.

Advertisement
This is a long post so apologies in advance, TLDR version is 8-4.

This might sound funny at first, but I’d feel better about 8 wins if we close on Andre Sam. His versatility is that important to a team that could experience a significant drop off in the back end of a starter gets hurt. Plus his familiarity with the scheme would be undoubtedly beneficial with communication.

Probably would have leaned the under prior to a fair amount of these portal acquisitions. However, I also think a lot of of you are over-estimating the ACC based on a 2022 Miami team that will look and operate very differently. The schedule sets up well for a nice three-game winning streak following the A&M game, should we drop that contest. I think this could be a crucial point in the season in order to maintain confidence early following a loss. If we beat A&M, even better. I see no reason to start 5-0 if we pull out an upset at Hardrock.

Looking at our opponents from a season total win perspective:

Miami Ohio: 6.5
Texas A&M: 7.5
Bethune: N/A
Temple: 4.5
North Carolina State: 6.5

How we stack up in the ACC based on win totals (teams with same # arranged via probability to go over expected number)

Miami: 7.5
North Carolina St: 6.5
Pittsburgh: 6.5
Syracuse: 6.5
Duke: 6.5
Wake Forest: 6
Virginia Tech: 5

Lastly, returning total production numbers from ACC teams. Parenthetical represents where they sit nationally, bolded teams are our 2023 conference opponents.

FSU: 87% (No. 1)
- Offense | 80% (No. 12)
- Defense | 94% (No. 2)

Boston College: 78% (No. 8)
- Offense | 78% (No. 17)
- Defense | 79% (No. 13)

Syracuse: 73% (No. 24)
- Offense | 73% (No. 39)
- Defense | 72% (No. 33)

Duke: 71% (No. 33)
- Offense | 82% (No. 9)
- Defense | 60% (No. 73)

Miami: 70% (No.35)
- Offense | 62% (No. 82)
- Defense | 77% (No. 18)

Clemson: 69% (No.36)
- Offense | 64% (No. 73)
- Defense | 75% (No. 23)

Virginia Tech: 69% (No.38)
- Offense | 73% (No. 41)
- Defense | 65% (No. 59)

North Carolina: 68% (No. 43)
- Offense | 69% (No. 53)
- Defense | 68% (No. 47)

Georgia Tech: 67% (No. 47)
- Offense | 69% (No. 55)
- Defense | 66% (No. 54)

NC State: 56% (No. 98)
- Offense | 62% (No. 77)
- Defense | 49% (No. 104)

Louisville: 56% (No. 99)
- Offense | 61% (No. 85)
- Defense | 50% (No. 100)

Wake Forest: 52% (No. 112)
- Offense | 46% (No. 117)
-Defense | 59% (No. 75)

Virginia: 52% (No.116)
- Offense | 40% (No. 123)
- Defense | 64% (No. 63)

Pittsburgh: 51% (No. 119)
- Offense | 52% (No. 106)
- Defense | 49% (No. 106)

I group it as follows:

80% or better we win
- Bethune, Temple, The other Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia

60-79.9%
- Boston College

True Toss-Ups
- Louisville, North Carolina, North Carolina State

35% or less
- Texas A&M, Clemson, FSU

As evidenced above, GT and UVA aren’t going to be good. Everyone likes to point to the fact UVA almost beat us, but the offensive scheme and players behind it are completely different. That point is mute imo.

I think 8-4 is pretty reasonable. Take the first six in the above groupings, then two of the last six. BC is tricky post Thanksgiving, but they should be pretty crappy and as long as we don’t quit on the season or have copious amounts of injuries, we should be fine. 8-4 would also be a 3-win improvement, which would be certainly enough for recruiting purposes as well as indicate a positive trajectory.

I think 7-5 is a little more likely than 9-3, but I expect to be competitive night in and out. 7-5 would be a little disappointing to me after the past 2 months of coaching and player additions.
Man, you put in some work. Thanks. Also, my goodness Gattis sucked

Advertisement
F#ck they did it again. I've been cool all off- season with realistic expectations. But this last week of portal additions just might have broken the Dam to reality. I'm starting to belive there is a chance we could win 9 games this year. Someone please bring me back before I jump out of the window. What do you see for this team now?
200w (2).gif

Roster gaps and injury risks still exist, especially with TVD. But barring worst case scenarios this team is now better than 6-6.

7-10 wins with most likely outcomes in the 8-9 range IMHO. Probably 8. 9 if we stay healthy and somehow find a quality DT grad transfer (not Campbell who is a project), a starting caliber OLB and Zion comes back healthy.

People are sleeping on Guidry and Dawson. Yes the coaching and personnel changes are drastic. But we saw Manny after D'Onofrio and Lashlee after Enos turn things around. I’m expecting the same 180 with these guys.
Some of my thoughts as well especially TVD staying well and playing lights out. I've said if b4, I love JB, but I don't think he'll be quite ready.

9-3 regular season, improving and playing their best at the end of the season. Offense putting up points, helping an improved defense.

Win Coastal but lose ACCCG to Clemson. Close, tight game, though.

Win bowl game.

10-4 final
There’s no more divisions so can’t win the coastal

Advertisement
Back