Every FBS team we’ve played has had better coaches

Our players are soft. Both Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech were more physical than us. Manny needs time to build his team, so firing him now would be silly and we would attract **** for a coach. I would like to see Manny given at least five years, like most other coaches.

That's the ongoing issue. Toughness allows you to overachieve, to pull surprises. It's the reason the '70s were enjoyable. We may not have been good but we were always tough. That enabled the Texas upset and Penn State upset and two near misses against Oklahoma.

On the other hand, when you are soft then the theoretical talent edge evaporates in a hurry. Georgia Tech noticeably perked up when they realized they could hit the Canes and then hit them again, without much resistance. We were fortunate as heck their running back stepped out of bounds by perhaps 1/4 of an inch on the long bully touchdown run.

In 1998 we weren't very good but had started to regain the toughness. The home upset of UCLA was accomplished because we simply were tougher than they were in the trenches and via our tackle breaking running backs. UCLA was a talented team but a cupcake team. Then we played North Carolina State in the bowl game as maybe 5 point favorite and I was very confident because the toughness should carry over and inspire the entire team. Likewise it carried over to 1999 when we upset Ohio State to open the season. I wasn't surprised at all. We were running the ball 40+ times per game and with authority. Our offensive linemen looked the part. Nowadays when I read threads and posts around here it seems like everyone is desperate to be a cupcake team similar to 1998 UCLA. I prefer Andrew's version. Toughen up and give the head coach time to make it a priority, while filling in the pieces.

Frankly I don't think we are in any position to demand an elite head coach. We'd have to be either extremely astute or extremely lucky, given the people making the decision and how much we are able to spend.

Advertisement
Didnt u like this hire though D?

Wasn’t my first choice but I was excited for the change. Not going to lie. Everyone in the building was adamant that Manny should have been the guy all year.

The rebuild comment is what ****es me off the most. His hire made sense because this was NOT a rebuild. Manny supposedly knew what need to be corrected and had the resources to hire someone who would modernize the offense. Now, we are already hearing the Goldenesque excuses.

Does the university still collect a check from the ACC?

The more frightening question is who in their right mind would take the gig if they cleaned house?

The program might actually be beyond repair. Someone would have to do a complete rebuild and this fan base will not allow that to happen.
Those ACC checks are the only reason the school fields a football team.

Wasn’t my first choice but I was excited for the change. Not going to lie. Everyone in the building was adamant that Manny should have been the guy all year.

The rebuild comment is what ****es me off the most. His hire made sense because this was NOT a rebuild. Manny supposedly knew what need to be corrected and had the resources to hire someone who would modernize the offense. Now, we are already hearing the Goldenesque excuses.
Sucks man

Also do u think it’s even possible they would fire him year one?

Advertisement
Manny is going nowhere.
Enos is going nowhere.
After that I hope Blake and Butch both find other opportunities right after the season ends before they get fired.
Had enough of Bandy.
Stroud was a fill in this year, he's gone.
This is what I think logically could happen.

We are third in NFL players and just lost to a triple option team that is changing offenses.

Talent doesn’t give up bombs on punt safe. We are poorly coached.
Its coaching. We have been letting opponents gunners run free down the field all season on punt returns. Why, I have no idea. Someone finally made us pay for it.

Its coaching. We have been letting opponents gunners run free down the field all season on punt returns. Why, I have no idea. Someone finally made us pay for it.
Because Patke has no business coaching on this team period, but he is the ST coach. He has no idea how to help Baxa, how to design punt returns of punt safe. Manny just hiring his homies.

Advertisement
D$,

Do you think the BOT would fire Manny in year 1?

What would it take for some serious changes to happen to this program?

This season is going to absolutely decimate our recruiting for the 2021 & 22 classes, something has to be done.

Liberty,

I really cannot see them firing Manny year 1. In as much as we would like that, I just cannot see that happening. If we did that no body would want to coach here. We are pretty much stuck for at least 2 years if not 3.

Yet coaches still want them and S&C guys still use them because they're lazy. I get argued with this during interviews by guys who are 0-11. They want 300's, 110's and gassers. I say "Thanks for your time."
I get trying to be mentally tough but there are far better ways to accomplish that without breaking down the body

Where does Miami realistically go from here? What happens next?

No matter how bad I want it to happen, he won't get fired in year 1.

1. Salvage the season best you can to sneak into a bowl
2. Make sure your "solid" recruits are actually solid
3. Make coaching staff changes after the final regular season game to get a jump start on a search

Advertisement
You know where we go bruh. We finish this year with a losing record and a class in the 30s. Maybe some minor staff changes but we will roll into next year with mostly the same staff and a lot let talent in house after kids transfer and declare. Next year we slog our way to another .500 season before Manny gets his clean house get out of jail free card. He does, and with his second straight 30th ranked class he gets obliterated by Bama and limps to the finish line of another 6 or 7 win season. He will be let go and our incompetent admin will hire another bozo to try again
Damnit man :sanford2: , I cant Be this vested into Miami no more.... Just hopes everything gets fixed immediately but ima fall back. I think Miami fans care more for the program than the admin
Brother.

I know you'll believe me when I tell you this. If you question it, even for a second...just search your feelings.

We're done. We blew it. Its over.

So what happens next? Nothing. Because we're done.
No matter how bad I want it to happen, he won't get fired in year 1.

1. Salvage the season best you can to sneak into a bowl
2. Make sure your "solid" recruits are actually solid
3. Make coaching staff changes after the final regular season game to get a jump start on a search
coaching changes have to happen at the minimum

Don’t know what else to say.

While I agree with you what does it say about those teams and their coaches that they only beat Miami because we missed a kick. We are a BAD team yet we only needed a kick to be undefeated right now.

Advertisement
I get trying to be mentally tough but there are far better ways to accomplish that without breaking down the body

And I don't believe that 300's make you mentally tougher. You're just someone that can quit and run away without being as gassed. Look at Jeff Thomas.

I would say six years, but he has already been on the staff for a while now. He should be able to recruit high school juniors and see them through graduation.
Yes that should be the case but ..... the reality is when the stadium becomes empty because you have lost fan support and your recruiting classes become a dumpster fire no coaching staff can survive till year 5.

D$,

Do you think the BOT would fire Manny in year 1?

What would it take for some serious changes to happen to this program?

This season is going to absolutely decimate our recruiting for the 2021 & 22 classes, something has to be done.

I don't think so, unfortunately. Probably more of a Year 2 call at the current pace.

Advertisement
Back