Etienne on 3rd down vs our LB's...

Advertisement
Success isn't defined by whether or not you bottle him up, because you won't. Success is whether or not you win the god**** game!

LMAO not on this board. You can't just beat the #1 team in the country, you have to do it perfectly. If we don't win 48-0 and hold them under 100 yards, it's a loss.

I've been high on Frierson since late last year and he really stepped up against FSU. Not sure why this board is down on him other than most of the people here are miserable f@#ks who'd be ****ed if we won a Natty but with one loss.
I've been a huge fan of Frierson and his potential on defense since his days at Gables High. I have to admit I never considered the possibility of a move to Striker because I never saw him as a particularly physical presence but Feeley has done an excellent job and he is beginning show why the staff moved him. I think much of the reason that the board seemed down of Gil is because many just assumed that it would click for him much sooner and I admit I was also a bit guilty of this to a point. The reality however is that the move to Striker was going to take some adjustment which last year served as. This season he seems much more confident in his abilities and that comes with reps and more knowledge of his assignments. I expect him to continue to get better and better every week and I genuinely believe that he may turn out to be a much bigger factor in our defensive success than many thought possible. He has great potential in his current role and very soon I expect him to have a huge break out performance.

I already told y'all, we need to play a 1 high safety look, press-man on the outside side, this is going to be a game where either that striker bullshat concept is going to either Excel or get exposed, we gotta takeaway.something from Clemson, stack the box and go from their, especially if we get the lead, stack the box, no need in letting etienne get full steam, gotta tackle him early, if we continue to sit back good luck. Also, our linebackers just need to take the proper depths and than attack, coach shannon knew exactly how to use the linebackers he played it and coached it at a higher level.
I want to see our corners playing aggressively and using their physical gifts as well.

Advertisement
I've been a huge fan of Frierson and his potential on defense since his days at Gables High. I have to admit I never considered the possibility of a move to Striker because I never saw him as a particularly physical presence but Feeley has done an excellent job and he is beginning show why the staff moved him. I think much of the reason that the board seemed down of Gil is because many just assumed that it would click for him much sooner and I admit I was also a bit guilty of this to a point. The reality however is that the move to Striker was going to take some adjustment which last year served as. This season he seems much more confident in his abilities and that comes with reps and more knowledge of his assignments. I expect him to continue to get better and better every week and I genuinely believe that he may turn out to be a much bigger factor in our defensive success than many thought possible. He has great potential in his current role and very soon I expect him to have a huge break out performance.

I think we mostly knew a move was inevitable because he was a big corner. I remember when he was signed most people thought he'd end up at S. Big thing to me is as a Jr with McCloud leaving he'll be a senior presence in the LB corps next year, and I think he'll put together a couple very productive seasons.

I think we mostly knew a move was inevitable because he was a big corner. I remember when he was signed most people thought he'd end up at S. Big thing to me is as a Jr with McCloud leaving he'll be a senior presence in the LB corps next year, and I think he'll put together a couple very productive seasons.
I saw him as a Safety. Do you see a switch to LB or is it that you consider Striker a LB position? I think that Gil and Keontra could be a great duo at STR As I see them platooning there for 2 years. In terms of moving someone to LB I always thought that Amari Carter could have been better there. There is no question that the issue of speed and range has been a concern at LB. I like the future of the LB group with Brooks, Huff, Austin-cave, Troutman and Chase Smith as they certainly address the issue of speed and lateral quickness.

Advertisement
I saw him as a Safety. Do you see a switch to LB or is it that you consider Striker a LB position? I think that Gil and Keontra could be a great duo at STR As I see them platooning there for 2 years. In terms of moving someone to LB I always thought that Amari Carter could have been better there. There is no question that the issue of speed and range has been a concern at LB. I like the future of the LB group with Brooks, Huff, Austin-cave, Troutman and Chase Smith as they certainly address the issue of speed and lateral quickness.

I see STK as part of the LB group. I would assume they review film and whatnot in the same room, but I don't know. Everyone was clamoring for Amari to be moved to STK over Finley but I never agreed with that. Carter is not a sure tackler, plain and simple. He's gotten better this year, but he seems to constantly go for the big hit over wrapping up and making a tackle. Which has me very, very worried about Hall sitting the first half against Clemson.

I'm with you on the speed and on record consistently on here. Major upgrade in speed and I think that's a direct result of Manny's respect for JJ favoring smaller, faster backers. Brooks and Huff especially, although Cave put up phenomenal tackle production in HS. D is shaping up great for the future but there's still spots that need to be filled by skill, experience or both.

Hate the idea of spying Blades because you're leaving Ivey to be the #1 corner. If the DL isn't in Sunshine's back pocket all night, he'll throw for three million yards.

Bubba is an option and probably faster than Frierson (and a better tackler) but I'd prefer focusing on stopping the pass to stopping the run. The DL is good enough that we should be able to contain the run within reason if we're not blitz happy.

#3 is Amari Rodgers. I’m saying blades needs to be on him and then let Bubba or Frierson try and stop the RB

And I love my Canes, but I have to be honest he sliced up our d a bit, so that tells me ET will too we just have to keep up
Anyone thinking we're going to stop Clem's offense is not lucid. They're going to make plays on us just Louisville did, but their QB is far superior to Louisville's. Every FG they kick is a huge win for us.

Advertisement
The question is..how did LSU completely shut him down in the title game last year and then we should go from there..
They didn't shut him down...LSU offense force them to play keep up and they had to throw more than planned.

I want to see our corners playing aggressively and using their physical gifts as well.
Exactly, that'll force the ""remember the titans" qb to have to be accurate, that'll be on whether coach baker and diaz play that scared man defense like diaz did in 17!

Last time we planned them was with Rosier and no Richards or Herndon. After Badgley missed that field goal we went 3 and out and 3 and out, got punched in the mouth and folded. We had no chance moving the ball against them in 2017. Much better defense than the 2020 version. Also, we had nothing to challenge them on offense. Nothing.
Fair points, can't disagree on the difference between King and Rosier being light years, same with Lashlee and Richt. That said, personnel and coaching are two aspects, if you want to know if we've really made progress against the likes of Clemson, a third equally important dimension is mental. UM has had a history of quitting when they hit some adversity. If dimensions 1 and 2 are as improved as we think, we have to hang tough when Clemson gets theirs. We answered Louisville, but Louisville ain't Clemson. You won't always be able to get up off the mat too easily. It's when we've been down on the mat, tried to get up, and got hit again that we tend to roll over lately. Honestly, trying to get up that second or third time is what I'm really looking for out of this team. We do that, we have a punchers chance.
About 5 plays prevented Virginia from making it a real game. A couple of arm tackles against Etienne which extended two or three drives. We cannot turn the ball over on our side of the field like Armstrong did. Down 2 touchdowns, why Virginia wanted to challenge with the 6'7" kid made no sense? They were chunking them to death. Virginia scores on that drive and it is a ball game.

With Etienne, he is going to get his yards. We have to tackle well.
That's college football though. These games toggle easily between respectable and rout based on a handful of plays.

Advertisement
Fair points, can't disagree on the difference between King and Rosier being light years, same with Lashlee and Richt. That said, personnel and coaching are two aspects, if you want to know if we've really made progress against the likes of Clemson, a third equally important dimension is mental. UM has had a history of quitting when they hit some adversity. If dimensions 1 and 2 are as improved as we think, we have to hang tough when Clemson gets theirs. We answered Louisville, but Louisville ain't Clemson. You won't always be able to get up off the mat too easily. It's when we've been down on the mat, tried to get up, and got hit again that we tend to roll over lately. Honestly, trying to get up that second or third time is what I'm really looking for out of this team. We do that, we have a punchers chance.

That's college football though. These games toggle easily between respectable and rout based on a handful of plays.
Yes, how we react when we get punched in the mouth will be telling. Clemson jumps all over their opponents early. We appear to have a much different mentality this year. Not a lot of talking, very business-like, a maturity we have not seen in a long, long time. To me the first quarter is key, come in compete, make some plays and don't act intimidated. Crowd will not be a factor.

The question is..how did LSU completely shut him down in the title game last year and then we should go from there..
After we cut it to 28-25 with 10 min to go in 3rd, ETN had 2 carries the rest of the way. Our OC **** the bed in the natty. He said as much after the game. U have to feed that kid the ball at every opportunity.

Advertisement
Back