Etienne on 3rd down vs our LB's...

k9cane

Senior
this is the one match-up that really scares me, everywhere else, honestly, I think we're pretty good vs Clemson (and no, that doesn't mean I think we're better, just saying we compete very well), however, Etienne out of the backfield isolated versus our slower backers really scares me, especially on third down. The guy is a unreal game breaker, with sprinters speed and can break tackles

If there is ever a game where Miami has to take proper angles, and swarm/gang tackle it's this one

I saw a few drives, where plays were seemingly bottled up, and Etienne just makes magic happen. It's not a great play call, or high level execution, just a guy doing unreal things. I really think it's him, not Trevor Lawrence, that is the X-factor here, given that we don't exactly have Ray Lewis or Dan Morgan at the mike. I almost think we have to have a 'spy' concept on him, he's that dangerous.

Advertisement
He has been my number 1 concern since they announced the game. I think the deciding question in this game is not if we can stop him or their offense. I think it’s a terrible matchup. I think where we are weak they are very strong, namely we don’t cover the RB out of the backfield and we don’t defend the perimeter that well. I think they are going to gash us significantly

The main question is can we get more stops than they can. I think they will have some problems matching up with us too. I expect a high scoring game if we want to win. We basically have to match them score for score and hope we get a turnover or the last possession personally

this is the one match-up that really scares me, everywhere else, honestly, I think we're pretty good vs Clemson (and no, that doesn't mean I think we're better, just saying we compete very well), however, Etienne out of the backfield isolated versus our slower backers really scares me, especially on third down. The guy is a unreal game breaker, with sprinters speed and can break tackles

If there is ever a game where Miami has to take proper angles, and swarm/gang tackle it's this one

I saw a few drives, where plays were seemingly bottled up, and Etienne just makes magic happen. It's not a great play call, or high level execution, just a guy doing unreal things. I really think it's him, not Trevor Lawrence, that is the X-factor here, given that we don't exactly have Ray Lewis or Dan Morgan at the mike. I almost think we have to have a 'spy' concept on him, he's that dangerous.

We should definitely put Ragone on him all night. :)

Advertisement
There isn't a college eligible linebacker on the planet who can cover him. Accept we are not going to stop him or their offense.

This game calls for the Cobra Kai technique.....best defense is more offense.

This is what I'm thinking... If we're gonna have someone spy him, who the **** is the guy to do it. Frierson?

I believe the key is how out safeties match up against etienne, we already know our LBs cant hang with him but I do expect amari bubba hall n frierson to be able to play well enough to contain etienne. N force TL15 sling it to get W

It's going to be like LSU - Bama last year. 46 - 41. Both have good defenses but the offense mattered more.

I think we need to get pressure with our front though. I thought UVA fell into too big of zones and didn’t pressure the Lawrence on 2nd and 3rd and longs. I think the key to slowing them down is actually going to fall more on our DL. We need them to be stuffing the run and creating pressure. Can’t let TL be that comfortable all game long.
Etienne is special, man the only way to stop a guy like him is get him before he gets going. Hopefully we can keep him in check at least in the run game, and as many of you have said tackle really well in the open field.

Advertisement
He’s gonna get his. He’s a a matchup nightmare and nobody is gonna shut him down. What we can do is try to minimize the damage by wrapping up and stopping him when we are in position. Cannot let him get loose on plays that we are in position to shut down.

Honestly think we may need Gil to be glued to him. He’s prob our best defender to contain him outside of Bubba, but we can’t restrict Bubba to covering one dude.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back