Etienne on 3rd down vs our LB's...

I believe the key is how out safeties match up against etienne, we already know our LBs cant hang with him but I do expect amari bubba hall n frierson to be able to play well enough to contain etienne. N force TL15 sling it to get W

Exactly why I said we should play a dime with two strikers and one backer....Carter, Smith and Frierson rotating in the box (showing blitz) could get us some stops...another option would be to use Brooks , Huff and Steed more ....only problem they like to run Etienne straight up the gut between tackles with TL following him.....could be confusing to our young LBs... It's easy to get lost in traffic or blown up by massive OL which happens to our starters already....at least our faster players are capable getting to the ball much faster....they just have to diagnose and aggressively attack without hesitation...

Bottom line is our DL has to play at a high level or they will pick and choose what they want to do anyway...our entire D has to be extremely physical...

Advertisement
Last dude we faced like him (where he can break it on any play) was dalvin ****

The last RB we faced that could break it any play was Jonathan Taylor. In 2018 he went for 205 yards on 27 carries.

What Etienne brings that Taylor didn't was the threat in the passing game.

If we don't stop Etienne, it will be a really bad day for us. I gameplan against him and make Lawrence beat us. He's more prone to ups/downs than Etienne, especially with so many young WRs.

Advertisement
this is the one match-up that really scares me, everywhere else, honestly, I think we're pretty good vs Clemson (and no, that doesn't mean I think we're better, just saying we compete very well), however, Etienne out of the backfield isolated versus our slower backers really scares me, especially on third down. The guy is a unreal game breaker, with sprinters speed and can break tackles

If there is ever a game where Miami has to take proper angles, and swarm/gang tackle it's this one

I saw a few drives, where plays were seemingly bottled up, and Etienne just makes magic happen. It's not a great play call, or high level execution, just a guy doing unreal things. I really think it's him, not Trevor Lawrence, that is the X-factor here, given that we don't exactly have Ray Lewis or Dan Morgan at the mike. I almost think we have to have a 'spy' concept on him, he's that dangerous.
Our best defense is sticking Carter on him. Hoping he takes out Etienne with one of his patented targetings.

The last RB we faced that could break it any play was Jonathan Taylor. In 2018 he went for 205 yards on 27 carries.

What Etienne brings that Taylor didn't was the threat in the passing game.

If we don't stop Etienne, it will be a really bad day for us. I gameplan against him and make Lawrence beat us. He's more prone to ups/downs than Etienne, especially with so many young WRs.

I say **** was more dangerous bc he could do both. But you’re right...etienne had almost 100 yards rushing and receiving against uva

Advertisement
Not to derail but I noticed surfer dude can be rattled with pressure. UVAg got him off his mark a few times and he threw incompletions. From what I saw, our DL should have an advantage.

We should definitely put Ragone on him all night. :)
If all are other LBs made the correct reads and took the correct angles like Ragone does we would be much better on defense. Everyone hates on this kid for getting playing time over the 4star LBs but he makes plays because he is at the right place at the right time on the field, just wish he was a little faster.

Advertisement
There isn't a college eligible linebacker on the planet who can cover him. Accept we are not going to stop him or their offense.

This game calls for the Cobra Kai technique.....best defense is more offense.

For that, our recievers and TE need to hold on to every ball thrown at them, even half chances. If they keep dropping those, we are in for a long night.

Clemson will do everything to stop King from beating them with his feet. It is up to the WRs to hold on to balls for us to have a puncher's chance.

Advertisement
We should put the striker on him out of the backfield and take chances with their TE or a young WR

Advertisement
Back