Etienne on 3rd down vs our LB's...

Advertisement
Look, Etienne is the "X" factor. Everyone with an ounce of football knowledge understands this. We must do any of the lists below:
1) Stop him
2) Slow him down
3) Frustrate him

We must do to him, what they plan to do to D'Eriq!

Advertisement
To contain them on the edges and Etienne out of the backfield we will need to either suddenly get a lot better or alter our scheme. Too slow and too soft. Bolden is gonna need to be all places at once for this one

He will be the best player our guys see in their college careers. He's going to get his yards, he's going to make spectacular plays. You can bottle up players like Cam Akers (and they have), but he's a different level.

Success isn't defined by whether or not you bottle him up, because you won't. Success is whether or not you win the god**** game! To do that, our guys can't do what they did the last time we played Clemson which is go into a shell, we have to be resilient and play hard-nosed football 60 minutes. This is what has plagued UM forever it seems.

Advertisement
He will be the best player our guys see in their college careers. He's going to get his yards, he's going to make spectacular plays. You can bottle up players like Cam Akers (and they have), but he's a different level.

Success isn't defined by whether or not you bottle him up, because you won't. Success is whether or not you win the god**** game! To do that, our guys can't do what they did the last time we played Clemson which is go into a shell, we have to be resilient and play hard-nosed football 60 minutes. This is what has plagued UM forever it seems.
Last time we planned them was with Rosier and no Richards or Herndon. After Badgley missed that field goal we went 3 and out and 3 and out, got punched in the mouth and folded. We had no chance moving the ball against them in 2017. Much better defense than the 2020 version. Also, we had nothing to challenge them on offense. Nothing.

About 5 plays prevented Virginia from making it a real game. A couple of arm tackles against Etienne which extended two or three drives. We cannot turn the ball over on our side of the field like Armstrong did. Down 2 touchdowns, why Virginia wanted to challenge with the 6'7" kid made no sense? They were chunking them to death. Virginia scores on that drive and it is a ball game.

With Etienne, he is going to get his yards. We have to tackle well.

Last time we planned them was with Rosier and no Richards or Herndon. After Badgley missed that field goal we went 3 and out and 3 and out, got punched in the mouth and folded. We had no chance moving the ball against them in 2017. Much better defense than the 2020 version. Also, we had nothing to challenge them on offense. Nothing.

By the time we got to that game, we were VERY hobbled with an offense that was limited to begin with. And after the Pitt game you got the sense that the magic was over.

And Lashlee's offense is steep upgrade over that antiquated stuff Richt was running. the key is just piling up the plays, if we can't hit a bunch of 50 yard plays, just keep having long drives, with temp of 8, 9, 10 plays that will wear them down eventually. That's how Cuse gave them fits in back to back years

By the time we got to that game, we were VERY hobbled with an offense that was limited to begin with. And after the Pitt game you got the sense that the magic was over.

And Lashlee's offense is steep upgrade over that antiquated stuff Richt was running. the key is just piling up the plays, if we can't hit a bunch of 50 yard plays, just keep having long drives, with temp of 8, 9, 10 plays that will wear them down eventually. That's how Cuse gave them fits in back to back years
The funny thing is Dungy really did not beat them with his feet. Other than long run he was held in check. Again, if Armstrong could pick up chunks I think King is going to be a lot of trouble for Clemson.

A long time since they've had a big conference home game. Much different playing in front of 16K than 80K. Crowd will not be a factor. With them, they use shock and awe teams within the conference. If we show we can compete early, then it should be a good one.

BTW, 70% chance of rain. Temperature should be 65 at kickoff.

Advertisement
The funny thing is Dungy really did not beat them with his feet. Other than long run he was held in check. Again, if Armstrong could pick up chunks I think King is going to be a lot of trouble for Clemson.

A long time since they've had a big conference home game. Much different playing in front of 16K than 80K. Crowd will not be a factor. With them, they use shock and awe teams within the conference. If we show we can compete early, then it should be a good one.

BTW, 70% chance of rain. Temperature should be 65 at kickoff.

another key in my view is being +2 in the takeaway column, we have a shot in my view, but lets be honest, they will need some help too. Every redzone opportunity for Clemson where they are held to a FG attempt, to me, I'll consider that a victory..

this is the one match-up that really scares me, everywhere else, honestly, I think we're pretty good vs Clemson (and no, that doesn't mean I think we're better, just saying we compete very well), however, Etienne out of the backfield isolated versus our slower backers really scares me, especially on third down. The guy is a unreal game breaker, with sprinters speed and can break tackles

If there is ever a game where Miami has to take proper angles, and swarm/gang tackle it's this one

I saw a few drives, where plays were seemingly bottled up, and Etienne just makes magic happen. It's not a great play call, or high level execution, just a guy doing unreal things. I really think it's him, not Trevor Lawrence, that is the X-factor here, given that we don't exactly have Ray Lewis or Dan Morgan at the mike. I almost think we have to have a 'spy' concept on him, he's that dangerous.
Would/Should we cover him with Gilbert? Use our faster striker?

Edit: I've seen you and others say it in the thread now.

Would/Should we cover him with Gilbert? Use our faster striker?

Edit: I've seen you and others say it in the thread now.

04, yes Gil has really come on the past 2 weeks and become a difference maker. On 3rd down and long I believe Miami has to put its fastest available package out there. I do think Jennings will have less snaps vs Clemson

Advertisement
I think Bubba is our best option but without Hall till the second half I’m not sure what to do on defense to stop them. Blades needs to follow #3 all night.

Hate the idea of spying Blades because you're leaving Ivey to be the #1 corner. If the DL isn't in Sunshine's back pocket all night, he'll throw for three million yards.

Bubba is an option and probably faster than Frierson (and a better tackler) but I'd prefer focusing on stopping the pass to stopping the run. The DL is good enough that we should be able to contain the run within reason if we're not blitz happy.

Advertisement
Back