Etienne on 3rd down vs our LB's...

Advertisement
What scares me most about this game is Etienne:
  1. Bakers poor defensive calls and alignments.
  2. D Line propensity to give up wide running lanes.
  3. LB speed, inability to get off blocks, poor angles and tackling
  4. DB speed and tackling ability

And offensive Line. WR beating man coverage.

Miami has a mighty big battle on their hands Saturday night. Let’s see how we stack up with a top 3 team in the country. This tells us where we are really at as a team. Not games against Louisville and FSU.

What scares me most about this game is Etienne:
  1. Bakers poor defensive calls and alignments.
  2. D Line propensity to give up wide running lanes.
  3. LB speed, inability to get off blocks, poor angles and tackling
  4. DB speed and tackling ability
That alignment where we are on hash and have 4 guys to cover wide side of field.. YIKES..

Etienne on everydown.. Dude is a gamebreaker regardless of down and distance

Advertisement
this is the one match-up that really scares me, everywhere else, honestly, I think we're pretty good vs Clemson (and no, that doesn't mean I think we're better, just saying we compete very well), however, Etienne out of the backfield isolated versus our slower backers really scares me, especially on third down. The guy is a unreal game breaker, with sprinters speed and can break tackles

If there is ever a game where Miami has to take proper angles, and swarm/gang tackle it's this one

I saw a few drives, where plays were seemingly bottled up, and Etienne just makes magic happen. It's not a great play call, or high level execution, just a guy doing unreal things. I really think it's him, not Trevor Lawrence, that is the X-factor here, given that we don't exactly have Ray Lewis or Dan Morgan at the mike. I almost think we have to have a 'spy' concept on him, he's that dangerous.
Bc UVA did a **** poor job of tackling. We’ll tackle WAY better than they did last night.

I already told y'all, we need to play a 1 high safety look, press-man on the outside side, this is going to be a game where either that striker bullshat concept is going to either Excel or get exposed, we gotta takeaway.something from Clemson, stack the box and go from their, especially if we get the lead, stack the box, no need in letting etienne get full steam, gotta tackle him early, if we continue to sit back good luck. Also, our linebackers just need to take the proper depths and than attack, coach shannon knew exactly how to use the linebackers he played it and coached it at a higher level.

The key is not our players, because we have the personnel to consistently get 3 and outs or off the field, the scheme/alignments and proper defensive calls will get the job done. That's why it's a team game, nobody should be worried about being one on one with etienne, this is also where having ed reed watching film with the defense will pay dividends, and the mindset they'll have going into the game will be on point, it's a special thing to be able to be coached and mentored by 2 guys who played with Blades Father, I'm sure it means alot to him to know that he's been upholding the standard and I'm sure it means alot to coach rumph and reed to be around Blades and know he has alot of his Father in em, that's part of the beauty of UM, a True Brotherhood, Jr. got Blood Cane uncle's and Cane Orange and Green uncle's, along with all the old footage/film he wants to see whenever he gets ready! I keep see post talking bout what we need to do when the game, we been had the answer, so this Saturday, this what it's gone have to be cause somebody's O has got to go:

There isn't a college eligible linebacker on the planet who can cover him. Accept we are not going to stop him or their offense.

This game calls for the Cobra Kai technique.....best defense is more offense.
Wax Off Youtube GIF by NETFLIX

Advertisement
I think we need to get pressure with our front though. I thought UVA fell into too big of zones and didn’t pressure the Lawrence on 2nd and 3rd and longs. I think the key to slowing them down is actually going to fall more on our DL. We need them to be stuffing the run and creating pressure. Can’t let TL be that comfortable all game long.
Etienne is special, man the only way to stop a guy like him is get him before he gets going. Hopefully we can keep him in check at least in the run game, and as many of you have said tackle really well in the open field.
They blitzed 80% of the time on 3rd down and almost all of it came up the middle. Zandier was a horrible match up against Etienne. Blue collar kid who is very slow.

I believe that our RB trio is better than him. Giving us the edge at that position. You are not going to stop him but we have the same job as everyone that plays them and that is just slowing him down and containing him as much as possible. Coach Baker knows this and will have our D ready!

I would much rather have the job slowing him down then trying to stop Harris, Knighton and Chaney! We are going to wear them down!!!

Advertisement
We've got nothing for ETN or Lawrence. They throw to the RBs very well, and Lawrence is an above-average runner and a deadly passer.

I'm not sure they're all that good defensively either. Been saying it since the game was announced: We will have to match them and get a TO or two or force a few FGs. If we win, it's going to be because we didn't flinch and kept scoring.

The last RB we faced that could break it any play was Jonathan Taylor. In 2018 he went for 205 yards on 27 carries.

What Etienne brings that Taylor didn't was the threat in the passing game.

If we don't stop Etienne, it will be a really bad day for us. I gameplan against him and make Lawrence beat us. He's more prone to ups/downs than Etienne, especially with so many young WRs.
The last RB we faced who could break It on any play was the Hawkins kid from Louisville.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back