ESPN's top OL situations for next year - Miami @ 14

SouthernM

Recruit
14. Miami Hurricanes
Miami returned five starters in 2016 but lost one after five starts and another after nine. They had 152 rushing YPG (4.5 average) with 25 sacks despite a QB who had 136 yards rushing on the season. This year they lose one starter but have five back who have been full-time starters (86 career starts returning) and add LSU transfer George Brown Jr.

Other notable names:
5. Clemson
6. Notre Dame
18. Pitt
22. FSU
23. UNC

Oklahoma Sooners, Alabama Crimson Tide, Ohio State Buckeyes lead Phil Steele's rankings of the top 56 offensive line

Last edited:
Advertisement
George Brown Jr., huh? That's the rationale for claiming we will have a top 15 OL in the country after last season. Thanks E$PN for continually proving you're only good for live sports and 30 for 30.

For the record, I expect the OL to improve this year, but it'll be because of Donaldson and the coaches figuring out where to most effectively play each of our current OL together.

George Brown Jr., huh? That's the rationale for claiming we will have a top 15 OL in the country after last season. Thanks E$PN for continually proving you're only good for live sports and 30 for 30.

For the record, I expect the OL to improve this year, but it'll be because of Donaldson and the coaches figuring out where to most effectively play each of our current OL together.

Can you read? George Brown is clearly not their rationale, the number of starts returning, rushing YPG last year, and sacks allowed last year with a QB that couldn't move, is their rationale. I'm not saying ESPN is right, but George Brown is barely mentioned.

Phil Steele is big on returning experience. Our ranking is largely based on the number of starts returning. Outside of Donaldson, this'll be a veteran OL with a lot of game experience.

Advertisement
Potentially two freshman will be starting on the OL this year.

I know donaldson will but who else?

LT McDermott
LG darling
C Gauthier/ linder
RG Donaldson
RT St Louis

Everything seems pretty solidified really

Phil Steele is big on returning experience. Our ranking is largely based on the number of starts returning. Outside of Donaldson, this'll be a veteran OL with a lot of game experience.

Experience dont mean a **** thing to me and never has....if u got a suck player the following year hes experienced at sucking. If people disagree with the experience thing then they better not pick us with perry vs fsu and hes our best chance imo.

Can you read? George Brown is clearly not their rationale, the number of starts returning, rushing YPG last year, and sacks allowed last year with a QB that couldn't move, is their rationale. I'm not saying ESPN is right, but George Brown is barely mentioned.

The real question is are you mentally capable of thinking critically about what you read? The section begins by noting we had all returning starters last year. Last year, our OL was nowhere near a top 15 unit. Per this article, we have returning starters again, plus George Brown, Jr. Do the math...

Advertisement

The real question is are you mentally capable of thinking critically about what you read? The section begins by noting we had all returning starters last year. Last year, our OL was nowhere near a top 15 unit. Per this article, we have returning starters again, plus George Brown, Jr. Do the math...

Lol, sure dude. Any critical thinker could see he added G Brown as an afterthought because he would look foolish not to mention that they added a transfer. And I like how you say the line will improve because coaches will figure out where to play the current OL. Well sir, if you were a critical thinker/reader you would have realized that is basically what ESPN is saying. Do the math...

McDermott, Darling, Linder all have 20+ starts.

I have a hard time believing all three won't begin the season as starters.

McDermott, Darling, Linder all have 20+ starts.

I have a hard time believing all three won't begin the season as starters.

We saw Linder get used as a projectile against Notre Dame. He better only get garbage time minutes.

Advertisement
McDermott and Darling were also made to look silly on several occasions last season.

Linder was exposed a few times but he's started 25 games here and hasn't been blown off the ball on every play.

Unless he's not able to come back from this last surgery I'm not sold on Gauthier at center with the snapping issues.

Lol, sure dude. Any critical thinker could see he added G Brown as an afterthought because he would look foolish not to mention that they added a transfer. And I like how you say the line will improve because coaches will figure out where to play the current OL. Well sir, if you were a critical thinker/reader you would have realized that is basically what ESPN is saying. Do the math...

(1) I disagree with the characterization of Brown's inclusion as an "afterthought," but even if that's the case, Brown's the only new addition to the OL he mentioned (by name or otherwise). Steele looks more foolish omitting the name of a Top 100 overall OL commit who was an early enrollee and starter all throughout the Spring that presently appears poised to start the season at RG;

(2) I said the line would improve because of the combination of Donaldson's inclusion on the OL and the coaching staff figuring out where to maximizes the other talent on the OL by putting the players they currently have in their best position on the OL. For someone calling people out on reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, your mischaracterization of my comments is amusing;

(3) As I read the article, Steele expects the OL to improve because he expects the players to improve and George Brown to improve the line. First, all indications are George Brown will, at best, improve the depth of the OL. Second, there is a difference between expecting OL players to improve and expecting coaches to maximize the (somewhat limited) talent on the roster at OL. I expect the latter.

Gaynor gona bytch slap Linder. Linder only good at glamor photos holding up bytch t!ts

Advertisement
Experience matters on the offensive line. You rarely see a team with multiple freshmen starters on the line and when you do, they usually suck. Most people aren't completely physically mature until their 20's. It's the reason you rarely see o linemen enter the draft early.

Experience is actually a huge factor at OL. It's not such a big deal at skill spots like RB or WR. But it's huge at OL unless the kid comes in a physically overwhelming behemoth like Donaldson. Even then, Donaldson should be much better in 2019 than he will be in 2017.

The fact that Linder should be a backup instead of a starter should tell you the OL has been upgraded.

P. S. I had no idea Kaaya ran for 136 yards last year. I would have had him close to 0 or in the minus.

Games experience for an offensive lineman actually means everything. Even more so as a unit together. One leak in a oline can make the whole unit look bad.

Advertisement
Back