ESPN's top OL situations for next year - Miami @ 14

Experience only matter when you don't suck and have potential. Linder still plays like a freshman heading into his senior year. I rather have someone with fixable snap issues (could just go under center) and can block then a player who can snap the ball well but has shown time and time again that his brother is the only reason he is playing in a P5 conference.

[video=youtube;9taZUTP9lfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9taZUTP9lfM[/video]

just LOL @ that throw at the 1:00 mark

way to go through your reads..

Advertisement
Once McDermott went from LG to LT and Gauthier was inserted into the starting lineup, the OL actually looked like a decent OL. McDermott looks so much more comfortable at LT then he did at LG. Linder should only be starting if the OL has a couple injuries to the interior. The OL should be for game 1...

McDermott - Darling - Gauthier - Donaldson - St. Louis

Gauthier has to get the snaps down and Darling has to improve greatly. Darling is the only starter I don't have much confidence in and that's pretty sad considering he's got the most experience than any player. We'll see if Gaynor can come in and learn the offense and be able to compete right away at this level. Then, they can certainly move Gauthier to LG replacing Darling. Experience should not be an issue this season. ****, it's one of the most experienced OLs in the country.

The biggest indictment of Linder was the Notre Dame game, but go rewatch some full games, he got his **** pushed in **** near in every game.

[video=youtube_share;c6qJDpj0be8]https://youtu.be/c6qJDpj0be8[/video]
Go to 22:13 and watch how he gets blasted off the snap, Walton made the first guy miss, but just watch how easy they moved Linder.

Not even trying to just beat up on him either, but I'm sorry, there's just too many examples throughout the season of him getting pushed around for me to think he's going to be any better this season.

The biggest indictment of Linder was the Notre Dame game, but go rewatch some full games, he got his **** pushed in **** near in every game.

Go to 22:13 and watch how he gets blasted off the snap, Walton made the first guy miss, but just watch how easy they moved Linder.

Not even trying to just beat up on him either, but I'm sorry, there's just too many examples throughout the season of him getting pushed around for me to think he's going to be any better this season.

He's just not strong enough to be an olineman at an acc program

He's just not strong enough to be an olineman at an acc program

****, I don't think he's strong enough to be an OL at the University of Delaware lol

Advertisement
What was Searels' thinking in starting Linder over Gall?

Anyone want to take a stab at that one?

Gall was beyond horrible in 2015, I must say he was decent in 2016 when he played though. Didn't expect a turnaround to be honest

Horrible evaluation. Linder has no business on the field. People like to claim everyone on the OL stunk, but he was the one consistent weak link. He got pushed around all the time, and when defenses are blowing you up in the middle every play it's impossible to get anything going.

Linder starting was a scary bad evaluation by our offensive coaches.

Anyone else have wet dreams where these three are all starters from day 1?

6_5369935.jpg

Advertisement
They were so weak up the middle with Linder at C and McDermott at G. At least KC has the quickness and footwork to play outside where he won't get bullied as much. Linder just looks overwhelmed too often. I'm cautiously optimistic the line will be improved this season. Maybe not super dominant but the pieces are there for a solid offensive line.

I'll tell ya what I wouldn't mind seeing.

LT St. Louis
LG Gauthier
C Gaynor
RG Donaldson
RT Herbert

run it back in 2018

Anyone else have wet dreams where these three are all starters from day 1?

6_5369935.jpg

Day 1? Nah.

Unless Gaynor is as strong as Guathier and Darling I don't see him starting day 1. Because if he starts one of those guys is moving to the bench. Can't have a guy that can't hold up on the interior. He'll get killed, get Kosi killed and kill both their confidence.

Teams that start a lot of freshmen on the offensive line usually have terrible offensive lines.

Advertisement
I think there's a pretty decent chance we're going to have another mediocre OL regardless of who plays where.

Donaldson, Gaynor, Herbert should play a bunch regardless to build depth. Should be interesting to see how early they can challenge the incumbents.

LCE he is terrible, seriously I literally do not want this man in a cane uniform. It is a crime to our team if he is a starter. Period!

We've seen McDermott, Linder, Darling get beat so many times that it's hard to be too optimistic.

That said, we had a good thing going with McDermott -- Gauthier -- Gall -- Isidora -- St. Louis

I would love to leave LT, LG, RT intact somehow.

Perhaps Gaynor at C and Donaldson at RG?

Agreed. Of the guys returning from last year, only Gauthier and St. Louis stand out to me as ++ players. McDermott seemed to play better at LT than he did at LG, so he may end up being serviceable at LT with a more mobile QB (whoever that ends up being). Darling should be under suspicion no matter where he plays. And if Linder is getting significant snaps at G or C, our QB's will need stronger mouth guards and chin straps.

If Gaynor can come in and win the job, then...

LT - McDermott
LG - Gauthier
C- Gaynor
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

otherwise, I think it'll be

LT - McDermott
LG - Darling
C - Gauthier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Advertisement

They often had different responsibilities under different O-Coordinators. Linder looked ok at G and C running certain outside zone plays under Coley. Under Richt, some different responsibilities inside and making certain reach blocks. Gall went from a guy who couldn't move well enough laterally under one coach to a guy who just needed to hold the point better under a different one.

I'll defer to the OL guys who can better explain the technical needs of inside zone, outside zone and power run game as it relates to interior positions.

Overall,this is why judging players and results without context is mostly a flawed exercise.

Experience is actually a huge factor at OL. It's not such a big deal at skill spots like RB or WR. But it's huge at OL unless the kid comes in a physically overwhelming behemoth like Donaldson. Even then, Donaldson should be much better in 2019 than he will be in 2017.

The fact that Linder should be a backup instead of a starter should tell you the OL has been upgraded.

P. S. I had no idea Kaaya ran for 136 yards last year. I would have had him close to 0 or in the minus.

37-136-3.712

I didn't think so either. I remember one scramble for a first down and one rushing TD.

McDermott, Darling, Linder all have 20+ starts.

I have a hard time believing all three won't begin the season as starters.

You've been repeating this nonsense for months. Did the same with Odogwu starting over St. Louis until Sunny quit before Summer workouts because he got his *** beat out. Gauthier is going to start.

Advertisement
Back