ESPN's top OL situations for next year - Miami @ 14

Experience is actually a huge factor at OL. It's not such a big deal at skill spots like RB or WR. But it's huge at OL unless the kid comes in a physically overwhelming behemoth like Donaldson. Even then, Donaldson should be much better in 2019 than he will be in 2017.

The fact that Linder should be a backup instead of a starter should tell you the OL has been upgraded.

P. S. I had no idea Kaaya ran for 136 yards last year. I would have had him close to 0 or in the minus.

According to cfb stats he actually had negative 136 rushing yards. Steele must've been so surprised to see that negative he thought it was typo.

Advertisement
George Brown Jr., huh? That's the rationale for claiming we will have a top 15 OL in the country after last season. Thanks E$PN for continually proving you're only good for live sports and 30 for 30.

For the record, I expect the OL to improve this year, but it'll be because of Donaldson and the coaches figuring out where to most effectively play each of our current OL together.

Can you read? George Brown is clearly not their rationale, the number of starts returning, rushing YPG last year, and sacks allowed last year with a QB that couldn't move, is their rationale. I'm not saying ESPN is right, but George Brown is barely mentioned.

The real question is are you mentally capable of thinking critically about what you read? The section begins by noting we had all returning starters last year. Last year, our OL was nowhere near a top 15 unit. Per this article, we have returning starters again, plus George Brown, Jr. Do the math...

Lol, sure dude. Any critical thinker could see he added G Brown as an afterthought because he would look foolish not to mention that they added a transfer. And I like how you say the line will improve because coaches will figure out where to play the current OL. Well sir, if you were a critical thinker/reader you would have realized that is basically what ESPN is saying. Do the math...

(1) I disagree with the characterization of Brown's inclusion as an "afterthought," but even if that's the case, Brown's the only new addition to the OL he mentioned (by name or otherwise). Steele looks more foolish omitting the name of a Top 100 overall OL commit who was an early enrollee and starter all throughout the Spring that presently appears poised to start the season at RG;

(2) I said the line would improve because of the combination of Donaldson's inclusion on the OL and the coaching staff figuring out where to maximizes the other talent on the OL by putting the players they currently have in their best position on the OL. For someone calling people out on reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, your mischaracterization of my comments is amusing;

(3) As I read the article, Steele expects the OL to improve because he expects the players to improve and George Brown to improve the line. First, all indications are George Brown will, at best, improve the depth of the OL. Second, there is a difference between expecting OL players to improve and expecting coaches to maximize the (somewhat limited) talent on the roster at OL. I expect the latter.

So you wrote all that to say if Steele would have mentioned Donaldson instead of Brown, that would have made his blurb okay? What's amusing is that you wrote 3 paragraphs to say that.

Can you read? George Brown is clearly not their rationale, the number of starts returning, rushing YPG last year, and sacks allowed last year with a QB that couldn't move, is their rationale. I'm not saying ESPN is right, but George Brown is barely mentioned.

The real question is are you mentally capable of thinking critically about what you read? The section begins by noting we had all returning starters last year. Last year, our OL was nowhere near a top 15 unit. Per this article, we have returning starters again, plus George Brown, Jr. Do the math...

Lol, sure dude. Any critical thinker could see he added G Brown as an afterthought because he would look foolish not to mention that they added a transfer. And I like how you say the line will improve because coaches will figure out where to play the current OL. Well sir, if you were a critical thinker/reader you would have realized that is basically what ESPN is saying. Do the math...

(1) I disagree with the characterization of Brown's inclusion as an "afterthought," but even if that's the case, Brown's the only new addition to the OL he mentioned (by name or otherwise). Steele looks more foolish omitting the name of a Top 100 overall OL commit who was an early enrollee and starter all throughout the Spring that presently appears poised to start the season at RG;

(2) I said the line would improve because of the combination of Donaldson's inclusion on the OL and the coaching staff figuring out where to maximizes the other talent on the OL by putting the players they currently have in their best position on the OL. For someone calling people out on reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, your mischaracterization of my comments is amusing;

(3) As I read the article, Steele expects the OL to improve because he expects the players to improve and George Brown to improve the line. First, all indications are George Brown will, at best, improve the depth of the OL. Second, there is a difference between expecting OL players to improve and expecting coaches to maximize the (somewhat limited) talent on the roster at OL. I expect the latter.

So you wrote all that to say if Steele would have mentioned Donaldson instead of Brown, that would have made his blurb okay? What's amusing is that you wrote 3 paragraphs to say that.

Slow day at the office. Is three paragraphs too much for you?

I wrote "all that" to explain my original points -- Steele doesn't know **** about what is actually going on at this program, and E$PN, in general, is struggling for content. But it's cool. Next time, I'll break out the crayons and draw you a picture.

Games experience for an offensive lineman actually means everything. Even more so as a unit together. One leak in a oline can make the whole unit look bad.

"everything"? Talent skill don't count?
That accounts for a lot but it's not like our guys are not talented. This fall we will have 3 top 100 lineman coming out of highschool starting for us and a gifted pass blocking tackle in St. Louis. We could be much worse. And it's not always about individual talent. Having a line that plays together with each other well is an important aspect in overall success

Advertisement
Experience is actually a huge factor at OL. It's not such a big deal at skill spots like RB or WR. But it's huge at OL unless the kid comes in a physically overwhelming behemoth like Donaldson. Even then, Donaldson should be much better in 2019 than he will be in 2017.

The fact that Linder should be a backup instead of a starter should tell you the OL has been upgraded.

P. S. I had no idea Kaaya ran for 136 yards last year. I would have had him close to 0 or in the minus.

I agree with all of that. I just think experience only gets you so far. Some of these guys are physically limited and/or have deficiencies with certain aspects of their game. It's not a knock, it's just that not everyone wins the genetic lottery. From what I saw last year, Darling can't handle speed off the edge, McDermott's short arms make it hard for him to lock up sometimes (and he had trouble establishing his base when playing OG last season), and Linder struggled mightily with bigger/stronger DTs last year. Maybe that's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it's what I saw.

Now, some of that can probably be improved by coaching, hitting the weight room harder, learning opponent's tendencies, etc... And some of that can be masked by good coaches knowing their players strengths and weaknesses playing players at the positions across the OL that maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. All of that being said, some guys are just limited.

But when I see a freak, physical athlete with size like Donaldson, or a guy like Herbert that possesses elite-for-the-position agility and foot speed, or even a guy like Gaynor with his nastiness and drive, I can't wait to see what those guys look like as juniors, because the physical limitations are much less glaring and their upside is through the roof.

Slow day at the office. Is three paragraphs too much for you?

I wrote "all that" to explain my original points -- Steele doesn't know **** about what is actually going on at this program, and E$PN, in general, is struggling for content. But it's cool. Next time, I'll break out the crayons and draw you a picture.

Yes, 3 paragraphs is too much for me. Especially when the 3 paragraphs can be summed up in 1-2 sentences. A critical mind would know that. Everyone here knows Steele doesn't know much about the program compared to people who follow message boards, but thanks for stating the obvious.

Games experience for an offensive lineman actually means everything. Even more so as a unit together. One leak in a oline can make the whole unit look bad.

"everything"? Talent skill don't count?
That accounts for a lot but it's not like our guys are not talented. This fall we will have 3 top 100 lineman coming out of highschool starting for us and a gifted pass blocking tackle in St. Louis. We could be much worse. And it's not always about individual talent. Having a line that plays together with each other well is an important aspect in overall success

Brock, you missed the point, experience is not everything as you said it was. Instead of trying to explain something that is just not fully accurrate or true should not precipitate the explanation. The points of trhe explanation are not relevant, they may just be true thought.

As far as starters, I like Donaldson, St. Louis & Gautier, everybody else I have very little faith in.

I have no comment on Linder, Darling should be starting on this line but he simply can't play Tackle & struggled at Guard too.

Maybe he steps up his Senior year, but the staff was very critical of him in the Spring, they were either trying to motivate him publicly, or were letting it be known he's not playing up to expectations & will be standing on the sideline this season.

I think Gaynor, Hillery & Herbert will be very good as well, but it's extremely difficult to get that many Freshman ready for the season. Wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 out of those 3 redshirted.

I definitely think the OL will be improved, but the thing I find troublesome is it seems like penalties always go overlooked.

Advertisement
If Gauthier proves he can snap...

LT McDermott -- Brown
LG Darling -- Gaynor
C Gauthier -- Linder
RG Donaldson -- Jones
RT St. Louis -- Herbert

LT McDermott -- Brown
LG Darling -- Gaynor
C Gauthier -- Linder
RG Donaldson -- Jones
RT St. Louis -- Herbert
We'll find out shortly if the whole "Gaynor may start" thing takes form. Would surprise me to see Gaynor (C) / Gauthier (G) be more effective and reliable than Gauthier (C) / Darling (G). Whatever works.

Think the other 3 spots are set.

We've seen McDermott, Linder, Darling get beat so many times that it's hard to be too optimistic.

That said, we had a good thing going with McDermott -- Gauthier -- Gall -- Isidora -- St. Louis

I would love to leave LT, LG, RT intact somehow.

Perhaps Gaynor at C and Donaldson at RG?

Advertisement
We've seen McDermott, Linder, Darling get beat so many times that it's hard to be too optimistic.

That said, we had a good thing going with McDermott -- Gauthier -- Gall -- Isidora -- St. Louis

I would love to leave LT, LG, RT intact somehow.

Perhaps Gaynor at C and Donaldson at RG?
D$ and others have mentioned he's going to get a serious look. It's only good news if a true Frosh is so good he bumps out a Senior Guard with double digit starts under his belt. Surprising to me if it happens, but I'm f'in in for whatever gets results.

LT McDermott -- Brown
LG Darling -- Gaynor
C Gauthier -- Linder
RG Donaldson -- Jones
RT St. Louis -- Herbert
I like this 5 the best.

I know Linder has a ton of starts on his resume, but I'm sorry, I just don't want see another season of him get bullied, especially with a brand new starting QB.

I think Gautier at Center gives us the best Line, because then we can start Darling at LG, if Linder starts at C, then Gautier would probably be the LG, because he should be a starter imo at either Guard or Center.

McDermott, Darling, Linder all have 20+ starts.

I have a hard time believing all three won't begin the season as starters.

We saw Linder get used as a projectile against Notre Dame. He better only get garbage time minutes.

I hope Linder finishes on a academic scholarship. I still have nightmares of Notre Dame's DT's throwing his punk *** around all game. ****ed me off!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Experience only matter when you don't suck and have potential. Linder still plays like a freshman heading into his senior year. I rather have someone with fixable snap issues (could just go under center) and can block then a player who can snap the ball well but has shown time and time again that his brother is the only reason he is playing in a P5 conference.

[video=youtube;9taZUTP9lfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9taZUTP9lfM[/video]

Experience only matter when you don't suck and have potential. Linder still plays like a freshman heading into his senior year. I rather have someone with fixable snap issues (could just go under center) and can block then a player who can snap the ball well but has shown time and time again that his brother is the only reason he is playing in a P5 conference.

Can't believe we lost that game. Wow, man.

The entire OL was awful that day and against VT. All of them.

One thing everyone is not taking into account is the fact that the line improved after linder got replaced. Miami did block well vs some elite lineman in the acc in the last couple games of the season(Chubb and price) good performance for the tackles. And the biggest help for the line is he addition of new talenT(Donaldson, Herbert, gaynor, hillery, dykstra, brown) as well as going against a top 5 defensive line group in the country. You can't do nothing but get better by practicing against them everyday. Even the second and third stringers will get better due to the sheer amount of depth we have on the dline

Advertisement
Back