Espn on perry and mobile qbs

Advertisement
I still can't believe Allison turned out to be such a sackless little pansy. I thought for sure he was going to take the starting job!

Honestly, the "mobility" thing is way overblown.

First of all, give me a QB who can make good decisions, accurate throws, and be a leader for his team.

Next, give me a guy who can move in the pocket just good enough to set up a better throw or scrambles for a few yards if he needs to. Turning a sack into a 4-6 yard gain can be a big difference maker. Nobody's expecting Perry to break off 40+ yard runs like Lamar Jackson.

First of all, give me a QB who can make good decisions, accurate throws, and be a leader for his team.

Next, give me a guy who can move in the pocket just good enough to set up a better throw or scrambles for a few yards if he needs to. Turning a sack into a 4-6 yard gain can be a big difference maker. Nobody's expecting Perry to break off 40+ yard runs like Lamar Jackson.

Just found his high school rushing stats...

N'kosi Perry's (Ocala, FL) Football Stats | MaxPreps

Advertisement
He's not a running QB, but he's mobile. He scrambles to throw. Only thing I'd worry about is holding on to the ball too long, thinking he can run from the DL/LB's, and taking sacks.

Just get a me QB who can move the chains! Sick and tired of going three and out.

Perry is mobile but he is nothing like Jackson as described in the article. He's definitely a pass first QB. Way more like Teddy Bridgewater. He can get you a first down but he's not major threat on the ground.

Ran for 287yds on 3ypc and 11td's as a junior.
Ran for 97yds at 1.8 pyc and 4td's as a senior (sat the 2nd half in a lot of blowout wins)

He averaged 18ypcompletion so he's really going to have to learn to take what the defense gives him. That's my concern. Major difference from playing shotgun and airing it out all day.

Stoped reading as soon as the writer mentioned a comparison to Lamar Jackson.

They're not similar players at all. Jackson is a dynamic scrambler in the mold of Michael Vick. Perry is a mobile QB who uses his legs to extend the play while keeping his eyes downfield--similar to Teddy Bridgewater.

His rushing stats are meaningless because he's not a scrambling QB. But if you watch his highlights you can clearly see he has the ability to avoid pressure, extend plays with his legs and pick up a few first downs with his legs when needed.

Advertisement

They're not similar players at all. Jackson is a dynamic scrambler in the mold of Michael Vick. Perry is a mobile QB who uses his legs to extend the play while keeping his eyes downfield--similar to Teddy Bridgewater.

His rushing stats are meaningless because he's not a scrambling QB. But if you watch his highlights you can clearly see he has the ability to avoid pressure, extend plays with his legs and pick up a few first downs with his legs when needed.

Also posted a comment about Charlie Ward when they make the statement of his lack of experience with mobile quarterbacks. There was at least one other that I couldn't recall at the time.

No, he's not a running QB, but I swear some people think he's dual threat for some reason. He's got a great arm and can move away from pressure, but he's not going to take off for long runs. He's not a dual threat guy, but a guy that can pick you apart when it looks like the play is breaking down. As long as he keeps the chains moving, that is all I care about. If he can run for 5 yards on 3rd and 4, he's good in my book.

Would much prefer a Bridgewater over a Jackson. If Perry is anything like Teddy our offense will be humming.

Advertisement

Why when a mobile qb gets mentioned people just assume nobody cares about accuracy, decision making and etc?

No, he's not a running QB, but I swear some people think he's dual threat for some reason. He's got a great arm and can move away from pressure, but he's not going to take off for long runs. He's not a dual threat guy, but a guy that can pick you apart when it looks like the play is breaking down. As long as he keeps the chains moving, that is all I care about. If he can run for 5 yards on 3rd and 4, he's good in my book.

People who have seen him said he can run and has good speed.

Lamar Jackson as a Frosh was barley over 50% completion and barely over a 1 to 1 ratio on TD to Interceptions

Advertisement

People who have seen him said he can run and has good speed.

He's not going to be beating teams by getting 15-20 yard runs to the point of them changing their defenses to make up for his "dual threat" ability. He's not a dual threat QB, unless you want to talk about being able to beat you with the deep ball and the short passes. Kid is a natural throwing the ball, and moving around well so he can throw the ball. He's simply not a guy that is going to make the defenses think, "Oh crap, he might run for 100 against us if we don't watch out!"

Perry is mobile in the same way that Aaron Rodgers and Jameis Winston are. They all have an amazing feel for pressure and know how to instinctively move within the pocket and behind the LOS to evade it while still looking to throw, when things break down they can pick up some yards. But none are real running QBs

He's a dual threat QB, it's just he will choose to look for the pass like a traditional QB before and only run at opportune times. He's not Jacory Harris or Teddy Bridgewater in terms of being limited as a runner, he just doesnt use his running as a primary threat like Lamar Jackson does for example.

He's a dual threat QB, it's just he will choose to look for the pass like a traditional QB before and only run at opportune times. He's not Jacory Harris or Teddy Bridgewater in terms of being limited as a runner, he just doesnt use his running as a primary threat like Lamar Jackson does for example.

2.8 yards a carry is hardly a threat.

Advertisement
Back